Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Anyone else with PTSD nightmares?

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 pm

I know some of us have it, just want tips on how to deal and how to fall back asleep on when they're really gruesome :| I figure folks with BP have more experience with sleepless nights.

Seriously annoyed tonight, head is barely hanging on my shoulders, but I'm too afraid to fall back asleep and have another one, so eyes are wide open.

I have a cold, so it might have something to do with that, despite it just being a runny nose and occasional headache by now.

And it's really cold tonight, I have two wool sweaters on. Guess I'll just be having a sleepless night and try to sleep some during the day.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Caroline » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Avant-garde my PTSD nightmares are so severe I've had sleep paralysis. No advice for you, just that you're not alone.
Cold northeast night here too.
Lovehope, yourself and me, no sleep for the weary.
I am me. Voices in my head, quiet down.
Caroline

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for the support Caroline, glad to see you dropping by and say hello :)

I would prefer a hypomania (not mania though) sleepless night, at least when I do sleep I always have fun dreams :)

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Caroline » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Hypomania for sure over straight mania. Me, I've been riding the middle depressed middle depressed repeat wave for months. Like to switch meds out because obviously not working, again again. Pdoc a dumbass.
Anyway I wish you sleep and dreams of pretty ocean waves.
I am me. Voices in my head, quiet down.
Caroline

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Thank you! Have a good night :)

AvantGarde

by Lisa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 pm

No idea how to stop those nightmares, my last one brought me back to this forum XD Didn't sleep well for 3 nights and then I slept a couple of 11-14 hours nights, haven't had another.

You hang in there, hot tea, warm bath? I always want to drink hot tea but I haven't found any that I like.
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm aiming for a hot bath in a while. The thought of undressing with this freezing temp is making me shake :lol: Hot tea is good, but does nothing for me except making me want to pee. I went for coffee and decided to stay awake and try to sleep something in the morning before lunch with a friend.

Just put on some wool socks too :D

AvantGarde

by Jemane » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Nightmares are awful. Does therapy help with dealing with them when they happen? I mean, give you some strategies to cope with the effect of them.
I tend to medicate my sleepless nights. Belsomra or temazepam. I’m sleeping better now the hypomania is over. No more 2am walks round the neighbourhood in the pyjamas and dressing gown.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by dubious66 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 am

No PTSD here (although I did see on one of my pdoc records in big letters and circled repeatedly "PTSD???" Anyway can't help with the nightmares but I am thinking sleep is overrated ;). Maybe we could go have breakfast for you/middle of the night snack for me? I know no sugar for you...
dubious66

by AvantGarde » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 am

Dub, I eventually slept 3 more hours. Yay :) Still sleepy but feeling more rested.

Jemane, therapy is helpful, it used to be every other night! lol Hopefully it won't come to that again.

AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:58 am

AG, are they gone?
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 am

Nope. Three nights in a row. But, the last two I've been able to sleep. Just wake up, drink some water and fall back asleep and then in the morning I hardly remember them.

Last night was weird, because in REM sleep heartbeat slows down a lot, and I woke up in REM sleep so I felt my heartbeat reaaaaaaaaaally slow and thought I was having a heart attack, which made my heart race more. So it took a while to get back to the slumber, but I eventually did and slept 8 hours straight.

AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 am

AvantGarde wrote:Nope. Three nights in a row. But, the last two I've been able to sleep. Just wake up, drink some water and fall back asleep and then in the morning I hardly remember them.

Well, at least you can get some sleep & have no memory of them.

AvantGarde wrote:Last night was weird, because in REM sleep heartbeat slows down a lot, and I woke up in REM sleep so I felt my heartbeat reaaaaaaaaaally slow and thought I was having a heart attack, which made my heart race more. So it took a while to get back to the slumber, but I eventually did and slept 8 hours straight.

Heh, life just has to bite you in the ass, huh? Let's you wake up, but scares the isht out of you XD Don't have a heart attack on us, I just got comfortable enough to call you AG XD
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 am

Hah! No, my heart is fine. I think...

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac lol

AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:54 am

AvantGarde wrote:Hah! No, my heart is fine. I think...

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac lol

LOL My memory has been so bad that I'd considered having Alzheimer's, but I'd have gotten it from an adopted Grandmother XD
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:58 am

Haha that's funny.

Do you know when you're in the kitchen and you can't seem to do anything right? You want a spoon, you go to the knife drawer. You want a glass, you go to the plate cabinet, etc. That's me every day with everything, excepting work.

AvantGarde

Return to Related Disorders