Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Pdoc added a diagnosis

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by Lulu25 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 am

I just got out of my pdoc appt and she discussed Borderline Personality Disorder with me. She's not changing my Bipolar diagnosis just adding Borderline tendencies to it. I'm looking into this as I have not read much about it before. Anyone else have this?
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 am

Hey Lu, I have it too. Was way worse before, I'm mellowed down and benzo'd up :lol:

Thing is 50 to 80% recovery rate with therapy, some people do well on DBT others with regular psychotherapy, as long as the therapist knows what they're doing and have experience with BPD.

Meds are the same as for BP.

Not a catastrophic dx at all. Just sucks a bit to have it.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by mom6 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 am

What is DBT? My therapist really wants me to do this group but I actually have no idea why or anything about it.
Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows fall behind you-Walt Whitman (mostly)
mom6

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 am

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is a type of CBT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic ... or_therapy

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 am

Hi AG,

As we went through the symptoms she gave me examples of my actual behaviors in past appts. As far as the relationship love/hate thing, I can definitely see that. I'm very clingy to the point of pushing ppl away or I don't want to be around them at all. It's one or the other. Same with my mood shifts. I cycle very quickly and certain events can trigger me for a few hours to a day or so. Although I have racing thoughts and pressured speech and other Bipolar characteristics. I'm going to read up on it. She said my medication is good for me still bc it will help the chemical imbalance and it does help me, however my therapy will be more extensive now. I don't know. I'm not upset about it, just trying to figure it out now. Where one ends and the other begins.
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 am

It's really tricky to have both, since they overlap in so many things. The way I see it is that I have behaviors outside of mania and depression that in BP only belong in mania and depression, and in BPD they're kinda triggered but not random, does that make sense to you?

Some researchers say they can be on the same spectrum, BPD being on the high end after BPII, but I've read convicing research saying otherwise. But what do I know? I just read them :lol:

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 am

It kinda makes sense. She explained it as BP is going on a shopping spree and not understanding or seeing the consequences until after the episode. BPD is going on a shopping spree and knowing you have bills to pay but doing it anyways even while knowing the consequences of doing so but telling yourself you will deal with it later on. She said I only needed 3 of the symptoms and I had all of them. She also mentioned my self image issues which make me anti social and paranoid thoughts.

So do you mean that with my BP I will have random swings and with my BPD I will also have mood changes that are due to a specific cause?
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 am

Ah, ok. I agree with that analogy :)

BPD mood swings are euphoria and dysphoria basically. Without the pressured speech, rapid thoughts and general symptoms of mania/hypomania. Euphoria is just feeling extremelly good, but no symptoms. It's not as usual as the depression or dysphoria though, we mostly feel like shit most of the time, lol.

Edit, and much faster rapid cycles. I've been measuring and I can cycle about 5 times in an hour.

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am

Makes sense! I cycle quite a bit through the week I've noticed. I'm satisfied with the diagnosis but it does suck. Now I have to differentiate my BP and BPD. Ugh so much work!!! lol I agree that it sucks.....I see tdoc Thursday, so I will address this with her.
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 am

Good luck Lu :)

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks AG! Hearing that yours is much better now gives me hope!
Lulu25

by Oendr » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 am

I highly recommend DBT! I did it for 3 years and it's skills are what save my life every day. With all therapys it's paramount to find the dr that best jives with you! Good luck!
"It's not about what you love. It's about how you love it." - Will Wheaton
Oendr

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 am

Hey Lu, this video is very explanatory of BPD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChwgwU9zIs

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:49 am

Thank you both! I will watch the video AT. I will ask my tdoc about DBT tomorrow.
Lulu25

by Lulu25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am

wow AG! That video is dead on me!!! I feel like he put what I go through into words. Especially the fear of imagined abandonment.
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 am

:) I thought it was spot on too. Glad you liked it

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:34 am

I honestly feel like I relate more to BPD than I do to BP.
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 am

I actually just came back from my pdoc and she says she thinks I just have traits, if anything. She seems to think of it as a catastrophic dx, meds don't work, etc. I told her I do identify myself with a bunch of stuff, she said it's more probable to be from the substance abuse and trauma than actually full blown BPD. I've been reading BPD forums and only identify with what they call the quiet borderline, more introspective and not so blown crazy... We'll see, it's a work in progress.

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 am

I'll check some BPD forums but I really do see more relation to BPD. Like so much that it's kind of scary. When I first met my pdoc and I told her how I was diagnosed as BP when I was 20 and she did her initial assessment on me she said that I had symptoms of BP but certain things were not consistent with BP. I guess that's why she has been ruling things out this past year and has come to BPD. I'm still researching it though.
Lulu25

by Lulu25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 am

I seen my tdoc on Thursday and I told her about pdocs dx of BPD. She looked up at me and said " Really? I have put down that you have major traits of BPD. " She doesn't work with DBT so I'm looking into finding a group since I'm being told I need individual and group DBT; it's a year program? This new dx has given me relief and anxiety bc everything I knew about BP is just kind of unraveling before me and I have this whole new illness I have to figure out all over again. It's overwhelming...
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:00 am

I don't know how long DBT takes, sorry :?

My BPD dx was revoked lol, my pdoc vehemently disagrees with it and I trust her. I'm having a depressive bout and can't be diagnosed BPD with it. I investigated it further and besides the small hypochondria of recognizing it slightly in me, I can't say I have the symptoms. At least not anymore. Pdoc thinks it was from the drug abuse, and whatever I have left are remnants.

AvantGarde

by Lulu25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 am

Well dropping a mental illness isn't so bad lol Congrats!

That's where BP has always confused me. I don't really have depression very often. When I do, it's a normal type of bummed out. My current pdoc, upon my initial assessment, even stated that not having major depressive episodes isn't congruent with BP. I obviously still have traits of BP, tdoc says the same thing. So sticking to CBT for now. Researching BPD and listening to stories the past week has been enlightening. Its only proving to be exactly how I am. I'm just so confused.
Lulu25

by AvantGarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Eheh :) Thanks, still have to go to tdoc with this.

Good luck with CBT, it really helped me out.

AvantGarde

by Cracked » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Lulu25! I just posted something similar on the "Related Disorders" thread. I followed that link AG sent and started browsing the videos YouTube pulled up as "related" and found this one (below!). It actually made my palms sweat with a bit of anxiety, it was so dead on. But she's very kind and gentle to listen to, and she has a ton of low-key, hopeful, informative videos on BPD that you might enjoy/find helpful. Also, I'm happy to chat about this stuff any time if you want, since I'm kind of figuring things out right now too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E56S5cWSvuw
Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.
Cracked

Return to Related Disorders