Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Dating Anxiety - Is it diagnosable?

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by james1992 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:54 am

This kinda falls under "social phobia" so I figured this was the best place to put this.

Every time I've been attracted to a girl, I would become so worked up with anxiety that I wouldn't be able to talk to them, let alone ask them out. And I don't think the attraction was ever mutual. I don't know if anyone has ever been attracted to me except the one girl I did date (who I was not attracted to at first, so that anxiety wasn't there).

I've become so petrified by the idea of dating that it fills me with dread to consider it. It's to the point where it does not feel like a normal reaction.

Can anyone relate to this? How do you deal with this kind of anxiety? People who have dated, how did BP affect your relationship?

Thanks.
"A vivid imagination is awesome. A manic imagination is a curse."
-Stanley Victor Paskavich
james1992

by Spm24 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:12 am

Never dated much and now I do not have that problem since I am married. But I do have anxiety when I meet new people and have to talk to them.. So I am not much help to you since when I did date I was not diagnosed.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 am

Hi, similar situation but on a different wavelength *waves*

I used to be great at flirting and asking people out. Nowadays just the thought of dating is stressing.

Be kind to yourself and take it slowly, that's the advice I was given.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Related Disorders