Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Sleep cycles and secondary conditions

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by Stuckles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:20 am

Anyone else struggling to maintain their sleep cycle due to secondary conditions?

I can get myself to go to bed at regular times but my body tends to need more sleep than my brain does and it keeps messing things up. At times I sleep ten or more hours, not because of depression issues keeping me in bed but because my body doesn't function if I get up before it's fully rested. Getting up too early causes me a lot of pain, blood pressure issues etc to name but a few. It usually ends up with me lying down for a nap later during the day which ends up with me sleeping even more and compounding the issue. This keeps pushing my sleep cycle out of bounds.

When I go to bed my brain hasn't been active long enough for it to be tired so I toss and turn. I'm fine with forcing myself to go to bed and when my brain starts acting out asking to get back up I just tell it "Tough, were going to sleep now!". The problem is, while I'm awake I can't lie still in one position as it starts to hurt and all this rolling around inflames my body horribly leading to even more pain the following day and even worse sleeping habits.

I used to be able to manage it while I was still using Tramacet but that's out of the question now as I started having respiratory problems. Other pain med's just doesn't cut it and hardly touches the pain. I'm currently using Vimovo which is working to an extent. I've been given the ok to use it chronically but I'm careful about over use non the less and mostly use it when I have serious flairs. I have tried sleeping pills but for some reason they just don't have any affect on me. I only take Seroquel when I'm in crisis. Though it works a treat for falling asleep, it has it's own bag of issues and it tends to knock me out again randomly during the day.

I've managed to reset my cycle this morning but I can already feel that I'm going to crash at some point. I'll just have to see how it goes.
Stuckles

by AvantGarde » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 am

Yes, between two days ago and yesterday I slept a total of 25 hours. Two days before that I had slept a total of 10 hours. Really fucks up my moods, or it's the other way around, I'm not sure.

It's due to trauma memories in my case, confusion in the brain to the point of *can't think*, a mix of hypocondria (I often can't sleep thinking I have cancer when I'm stressed :roll: stupid brain) and general life stressors, like switching tdocs right now, that have been popping up.

Not helpful when I'm trying to rest is my mother's bad mood in waking me up. It always happens, I wake up startled and full of anxiety. When laying out my boundaries she laughs and takes no responsibility, it's crazy-driving.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Stuckles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 am

I know what you mean, it's sometimes so hard to figure out what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Trauma memories are horrible. I can't imagine having to deal with it on a permanent basis let alone due to serious trauma. I have only had brief/mild encounters with it from motorcar accidents ( for some reason I'm a magnet for freak accidents :roll: )

Omg, getting rude wake up calls is the worst :o My blood pressure flat-lines and I feel physically ill when it happens.
Stuckles

by AvantGarde » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:45 am

Seriously, we were supposed to take a drive today down south, but I'm so angry from not getting a proper rest that I can't seem to leave my bedroom today.

Also *Trigger warning maybe*, yesterday night two of my neighbours (one from another building) got into a fight and the police was called, there's blood on the front of the building, such a mess. I live on the ground floor so I was scared as hell, the other guy had something in his hand, seemed like a weapon, I closed the blinds when I saw it. My mother decided to open them again and watch :roll: Apparently the guy was jumping up and down my neighbours' car to ge the other guy's attention... The guy came downstairs with his son to kick his ass, and their wives all came rushing to stop the fight. The little kid (my neighbours' little daughter) was crying like crazy begging her dad to stop... My cats went into hiding, kitten was shaking from fear, only calmed down when the cops arrived. Then they asked questions, and probably took the other guy to the station as they asked where he lived. This was a huge trigger for me, I had to take a whole benzo to sleep. So, today I'm really weird-moody :?

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 am

That sounds frightening AG!
No wonder you're feeling unsettled today.
Hope you have a better nights sleep tonight.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 am

Thank you. I really hope so too.

So, I already know what happened. The other guy was drunk, out of the blue attacked my neighbour's kid (hit his head against a wall), the kid defended himself and threw a punch then ran away (that's why there's blood)... Then the dad came to defend the kid, they got into a fight. Then the police came and took the other guy, he spent the night in jail. This morning he doesn't remember doing any of it...

Edit: We'll probably go to court as witnesses.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 am

That is scary, AG! I would have been so freaked out! I hope it doesn't set you back any. Especially considering you're changing tdocs and everything else going on.

Did you have to talk to the police about what you saw? I hope you don't have to go to court. It's so nerve-wracking. My old pdoc wrote a certified, notarized letter to the court that being there would cause me dire mental issues in light of my conditions when I was served to appear in court as a witness in a case of child abuse. I didn't witness anything, just a character witness thing. I didn't have to go. But I don't know your court system.

Stuckles, I have that whole trauma thing, like AG. Woke up at 4 in the morning sure there was someone in my room (and Bill was not there), but once I was awake enough I realized it was a nightmare, but then I couldn't go back to sleep. Had a nap later and totally screwed my night time sleep up that night.

I'm very strict with my sleep schedule, but my brain doesn't always cooperate. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes I move in my sleep and my joints hurt, which wakes me up. I can usually go back to sleep by taking a pain reliever and adjusting the pillows to support the effected joints. But broken sleep is broken sleep and it always messes me up for a couple of days. Right now, my knees and ankles have been really bothering me, so I've added my pain reliever to my night time meds to try to avoid the painful wake up call in the middle of the night.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Stuckles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 am

That's horrible AG, seeing that and not knowing what had happened along with being triggered it's no wonder your feeling the way you do :( I hope your mind calms down soon so you don't have to feel this way.

Ducky, that's the worst when you wake up from a nightmare but your mind keeps going only realizing minutes later that you had been dreaming. For me at least the realization that it was just a dream is such a relief though. Sorry to hear about the RA, it's one thing to have your body constantly in pain but to know that it's your body actually doing it has to be maddening. For the most part I sleep like a rock but when I have bad flares I too tend to get woken up in the middle of the night.

The majority of my pain stems from Arthritis due to the lax nature of my tendons and ligaments so while I'm sleeping things kinda 'collapses' and gets inflamed from the sublaxation, especially when I roll around. Most of the time when I have bad flares I would take my anti-inflamatories but I'm just so worried that I would end up with kidney and liver problems that I tend to leave it be when it's the 'normal' level of pain. It's just turned spring here and I'm dreading Summer as it makes the pain so much worse.

When they were still trying to figure out what was wrong in my twenties, they tested me for rheumatoid and it was the last time I ever saw a locum. Although my tests came back negative for RA, the dumbass misread my A1-Anti trypsene and sent me for Cystic Fibrosis therapy. You don't want to know what slap-therapy does to a Marfanoid body :( I went to my GP within a week and he couldn't believe they got it so wrong. Turns out my A1 levels were off the scale toward the positive, meaning it just confirmed I had chronic inflammation instead of the negative A1 levels that identifies Cystic Fibrosis.
Stuckles

by Pancake » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:57 am

I didn't have to go

Gods, Ducky that must have been horribly traumatic to deal with even without having to go to court :shock:

AG, make your mom do it, she's the stickybeak.
That's scary, and the circumstances distressing. Hope you are ok.

Edit: oops, back on topic. Stuckles, that's some misinterpretation :?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Stuckles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I know right ... I go in with joint pains and issues and he comes back with CFS and didn't even address my original issue. He had me so shocked and in such a state for a week :roll: I only trust my regular doctor now as he knows my history, conditions and medication. Unless it's an emergency, if he's out of town I rather hold off till he's back.
Stuckles

Return to Related Disorders