Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Teen with rapid cycling

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by Beccalyn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:36 am

Hi. I have a 14 y/o daughter who started showing signs of having issues at age 3 1/2. She has a diagnosis of autism spectrum, mixed bipolar, severe anxiety, OCD. She has been through many diagnosis throughout the years and admitted to the psych hospital multiple times. She has sudden violent rages that can last minutes to hours. The problem is how fast she cycles. She cycles within seconds from manic to depressed all day long. Her dr says this is pretty rare, especially in a child. She has been through every medication, more than once, and at very high doses and nothing works. The other kids in the house are scared of her and frankly her dad and I can only handle being physically and emotionally abused by her to a point. She had been arrested multiple times for assault towards us and her principal but all charges were dropped because they found her to be incompetent to stand trial (She googled how to get out of it). Has anyone experienced this and if so what advice can you give?
Beccalyn

by AvantGarde » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Beccalyn, welcome.

I'm sorry if this question sounds basic, but is she seeing a therapist?

If not, therapy can really help her get a better grasp at her impulses. I would look into DBT.

Also, do you know if the rages are from mixed states or from the autism? Or both...?

I'm sorry you're going through this, must be incredibly painful for your family.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Beccalyn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 am

I think majority of them are from dysphoria to be honest. Once she goes into one there is no way to get her out. It's just a waiting game and keeping everyone in the house safe.

She has seen multiple different therapists over the years. She refuses to actually participate correctly though. She will only talk about what she wants to (fashion, music, etc) and refuses to participate in other discussions. I know some of her behavior is choice because we notice a difference in behavior sometimes depending on who she's talking to. Her constantly cussing is choice. She will tell is to f*ck off, etc but turn around and talk to someone else and purposely not cuss.

Her psychiatrist always says hes never seen a case as severe as hers before. Meanwhile we are at a loss. This last March she spent 30 days is the psych hospital. Most of the first 2 weeks was in 5 point restraints. She spent 4 days before that in our ER in restraints as we waited for a psych facility to accept her. She slways has a 1:1while in the facilities also. Most of the meds used to sedate her (ativan, klonopin, phenergan, zyrexa, etc) make her angrier and more violent. We looked into residential treatment for her but we were denied by 16 different facilities throughout many states. Majority of them said they weren't able to handle her unpredictable behaviors. Clearly the courts/law will not be any help for us. We are just at a total loss. :oops:
Beccalyn

by hal » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:37 am

Beccalyn wrote:We are just at a total loss.
What a tragic situation for you and your family and for her, too. My heart goes out to all of you, Beccalyn.

I certainly do wish you well. Wish I could do more.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

My heart goes out to you, but honestly we're at a lost too.

There isn't much we can do for you, I really advise you and your family (maybe without her knowing, if possible) to seek family therapy together, to find ways to cope and have the best life possible.

It might help to know that these things can mellow with age, even if it never becomes perfect.

I'm going to give you some links to intitutions that might help you, they have wide, country wise, resource solutions that might be benefitial for her and also the rest of the family:

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Family Center

Find your local NAMI:
http://www.nami.org/Find-Your-Local-NAMI

Supporting Someone with Bipolar: For Family and Friends
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Lovehope » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:00 pm

I work in mental health and I work with children exactly like you are describing. You are not alone. Many families struggle with this level of severity.

My hope is that with age she will mature and her behaviors will lessen. It is terribly difficult to manage mental health disorders as an adult, let alone a child.

Hang in there.
Lovehope

Return to Related Disorders