Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Psych Evaluation Results

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by Dogirl1313 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:57 pm

I got the results from my first psych evaluation today. I was formally diagnosed with anxiety, OCD, dysmorphia, type 1 bipolar and PTSD tendencies. I was surprised about the dysthymia and PTSD, but after the doctor explained her conclusion it made sense. I've always struggled with anxiety and experience panic and anxiety attacks so that did not surprise me.

The bipolar diagnosis was not surprising- I was diagnosed with that a little over 2.5 years ago. I asked what type of bipolar I am and the doctor. said it's complicated. I have longer intense episodes that last 8-10 days along with short episodes- at times I will cycle within the day. She said I'm like a blend between type 1 and type 2 but she will put type 1 in my file.

The OCD was not surprising. I've always known I'm a very obsessive person in general and have a hard time letting things go and giving up control. People have referenced me acting OCD for years. When I get really stressed and feel overwhelmed I have strong urges to pace. I will pace back and forth and count how many steps I am taking and I have to end on a "good" number otherwise I'm convinced something bad will happen- my health will go downhill, I'll fail a test, etc. I also will obsess over the passage of time. Before appointments/ meetings/ tests I will calculate how many seconds I have left. I'll do this multiple times a day and start doing it weeks or months before the event takes place.

The PTSD tendencies (note- this is not full blown PTSD it's only strong tendencies) surprised me the most. During middle school I went through a series of medical complications. I have moderate scoliosis and had to wear a back brace at the same time I was wearing braces for a severe under bite and transitioned from a very small elementary school to a large middle school (went from having 40 kids in my grade to 400).

I would obsess over doctor appointments about the scoliosis. I was getting suicidal and was an anxious mess all the time. The Doctor told me that all of the trauma from the medical issues is still affecting me today- which is why it is PTSD tendencies. She said I don't experience enough of the symptoms for a full PTSD diagnosis but I definitely have the tendencies.

The dysthymia surprised me. I had heard of the disorder before but never really thought about applying it to me. I always feel like even when I'm stable I'm not- like I'm still flat. That I experience things but don't feel them.So I have a tendency to feel too much when the bipolar episodes flare up- and when the anxiety kicks in- but I don't feel enough if I am stable.

I'm happy I had the evaluation done and feel like I can target my therapy sessions more now. I like having a better idea of what is going on in my head.
Dogirl1313

by hal » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Dogirl1313 wrote:I'm happy I had the evaluation done and feel like I can target my therapy sessions more now. I like having a better idea of what is going on in my head.
That does make it worthwhile, doesn't it. Now you have something to work with.

I never had such a workup, but I remember when I got the diagnosis of BP1 it was a relief because it explained so many things.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Pancake » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Sounding positive Dogirl (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Great! Good luck in therapy now :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 am

Dogirl1313 wrote:The dysmorphia surprised me. I had heard of the disorder before but never really thought about applying it to me. I always feel like even when I'm stable I'm not- like I'm still flat. That I experience things but don't feel them.So I have a tendency to feel too much when the bipolar episodes flare up- and when the anxiety kicks in- but I don't feel enough if I am stable.

Dogirl......just curious, what do you mean by dysmorphia?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by mom6 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 am

I'm wondering what that is too.
Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows fall behind you-Walt Whitman (mostly)
mom6

by hal » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 am

A mental illness involving obsessive focus on a perceived flaw in appearance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dysmorphia&oq=dysmorphia&aqs=chrome..69i57.9994j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Dogirl1313 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:25 am

Whoops! My bad. It's supposed to be dysthymia not dysmorhpia. Big difference. That probably makes more sense...
Dogirl1313

by Mocha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks, Dogirl......... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Related Disorders