Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

CPTSD to be included in ICD-11

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:34 am

For now it isn't a "valid" diagnosis, although many mental health professionals are using it since it's been researched and the term used more than plenty.

A lot of misinterpretations of the term, out of lack of thouroughly reading the literature and believing the internet at face value has been happening, and also different countries have different appropriations of the term depending on their leading researchers' own biases or cultural norms.

So, given that has been a lot of insistance towards the appropriate channels to introduce a label for those of us who were abused in childhood (emotionally, sexually, physically or neglected), but don't exactly fit into the PSTD criteria, the Wold Health Organization is finally introducing it as a valid diagnosis, which will force the APA to follow the lead on the next DSM as well, as it was refused to be introduced back when the DSM-5 was being constructed for lack of research.

Here is the link to the article of the criteria and associated studies:
An Assessment of the Construct Validity of the ICD-11 Proposal for
Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Edit to add that the ICD 11 is said be released in late 2017, early 2018.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Very interesting reading. But all they had to do was ask us :lol:
My pdoc dxd me already, but BP is my primary dx on all the insurance crap.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 am

Well, yeah... But we're crazy and we don't run double blind studies for peer review :lol:

Is the ICD billable in the US or just the DSM?

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 am

The ICD includes a section classifying mental and behavioral disorders (Chapter V). This has developed alongside the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) of the American Psychiatric Association and the two manuals seek to use the same codes. The WHO is revising their classifications in these sections as part the development of the ICD-11 (scheduled for 2018), and an "International Advisory Group" has been established to guide this.[25]

An international survey of psychiatrists in 66 countries comparing use of the ICD-10 and DSM-IV found that the former was more often used for clinical diagnosis while the latter was more valued for research.[26] The ICD is actually the official system for the US, although many mental health professionals do not realize this due to the dominance of the DSM. A psychologist has stated: "Serious problems with the clinical utility of both the ICD and the DSM are widely acknowledged."[27]

I didn't know this...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am

Yeah, certain disorders make more sense according to the ICD criteria, as far as I could tell from reading it and second hand knowledge. Sometimes the DSM can be too vague or have loopholes.

I don't know which one my pdoc uses, but I saw the third edition of the DSM in her office.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

To add to this conversation, a good researcher on the issues concerning childhood trauma is Bessel Van der Kolk, he has a book called "The Body Keeps the Score" about the effects of childhood trauma all the way to adulthood.

There are some interesting lectures on YouTube as well, a bit long but worth it.

He tried to introduce a new disorder to the DSM called Development Trauma Disorder, diagnosable to children who endure trauma, and he is the leading expert on childhood trauma and its effects in the US at the moment. The disorder was dismissed by the APA for lack of appropriate research, but it had plenty. About 200.000 children all over the world were helped and studied to reach that consensus.

If you ask me, if he gets his way of making that dx a valid dx, a lot of adulthood issues related to past trauma would cease to exist, because there would be more awareness and research towards preventing and treating trauma at the appropriate time.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Interesting reading indeed. I wonder how many other mental health conditions are out there that haven't been diagnosed yet? No seriously, I reckon we are still in the dark ages of management and in the future as we get a better understanding of the biochemistry of mental health there will be a renaissance in diagnosis and treatment.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I agree Jemane. Regarding terms of illnesses and recognition of symptoms we're still using old ideas, that perhaps don't fit as well with the reality of the brain.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 pm

It's no real surprise that we're trailing behind though, I mean with all the medical advancements, Brain is so much more complex than everything else (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 pm

So many neurons! :shock:

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Related Disorders