Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Bacterial Spinal Meningitis and Mental Illness

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by 50calty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:35 am

I am just curious more than anything on this. Right when I was born I had bacterial spinal meningitis. Almost died a couple times and was in NICU for a long time. Doctors told my parents that I could have mental problems later in life. Is there anyone else that had this and now have bipolar/depression/anxiety? I've looked online and there seems to be some relationship, but nothing hardcore. I'm guess I'm trying to figure out a reason or a understanding of why/who I am.
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

by shandi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 pm

i had a realy nasty infectious virus when i was 3 years old and was in a realy bad shape
i think a very difficult thing to do is accepting that i cant promise everyone that unwell behaviors would never occur again
shandi

by pmh87 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am

When I was 17 I had the viral strain, not the bacterial. Horrible experience. It wouldn't surprise me if it had that type of effect. I know after mine, I lost some control over my fingers & my hand-eye coordination worsened--permanently. Given the stress either viral or bacterial men. (but esp. the latter) puts on the brain, wouldn't surprise me if there is a connection.

FWIW, my cousin had bacterial men. as an infant & suffers from depression. Has his whole life.
pmh87

by Tigger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Friend of mine had bacterial men. when he was a child--probably 10. He says that he has some cognitive challenges that stem from it. And honestly he has some mental challenges that he's never accepted.

My son did not have any infectious diseases.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar
Tigger

Return to Related Disorders