Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

ADHD or just bored of reading?

Talk about ADD/ADHD, Self-Harm, PTSD, Personality Disorders, Social Phobia, GAD, Epilepsy, Migraines, Substance Abuse, Autism Spectrum Disorders, OCD, Physical/Emotional Abuse

by BiBiGirl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:08 am

I have a lot of trouble staying on task and focusing, especially when it comes to reading books and watching full length movies. I can't read more than a few chapters of a book before I get completely distracted and need to get up and do something else. At the theater I fidget and (heaven forbid) check my phone for notifications and such because I just can't sit still. My pdoc has said that if my focusing symptoms didn't go away with treatment for BDII and PTSD, then I probably had ADHD too. I have been on Wellbutrin, Abilify, and prazosin for months, and I still often can't hold an attention span for a long task. However, I'm reluctant to bring it up. Even if I get the diagnosis, is there anything that can be done medication-wise given that I'm bipolar? Any ideas for managing without medication?
Having bipolar disorder means waking up and not knowing whether Tigger or Eeyore will be making decisions for you
BiBiGirl

by Spm24 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm

There have been many people on the forum who have dealt with ADHD or ADD. Who have dealt with this issue using meds along side the meds for BP.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1112 is a thread discussing meds and ADHD

I am sure some will pop in and tell you how they manage it.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Duckysmom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 pm

I am dxd BP1, PTSD, GAD with social anxiety and ADD. I don't take meds for the ADD at this time but have in the past. Because most are stimulants they would interrupt my sleep patterns, appetite and cause me to get manic. With therapy, I've learned coping mechanisms to deal with them, including frequent breaks when my mind wanders from what I'm doing, keeping my earbuds in with less distracting music playing to drown out the everyday distractions and moving to another task when I just can't keep focus, which makes me very good at multitasking. I also have to say that the right mix of psych meds keeping me stable helps a bit as well. I don't know how severe your ADHD is so I don't know if this helps any. My daughter is ADHD and is also not on meds. She's adapted well with some of the same coping strategies. She was dxd as a child and we tried meds but she also had side effects that she just couldn't deal with and as her mother concerned me, such as not being able to sleep well and not gaining any weight in 6 months as a growing child should. She hasn't been on meds since 4th grade and she's a working mother going to school part time.

I'm not suggesting you don't need meds, but you should talk to your pdoc or tdoc about your concerns and see what they have to say. I'm just saying it's possible to develope coping strategies with the help of a good pdoc/tdoc even if you do take meds.

And stop being so hard on yourself. You have plenty to deal with already.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by AvantGarde » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 pm

I have that too and I don't have ADHD or ADD. I've seen it across mental health boards all over the place and it's usually dealt with in therapy, can be anxiety from the PTSD (very common among those of us who have it) or a side effect of some med your taking.

Be careful with stimulants for ADHD or ADD.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:11 am

Just a FYI......Strattera is a non-stimulant med used to treat ADHD in children and adults.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by BiBiGirl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions/comments. AvantGarde: yes, maybe it is a medication side effect or symptom from one of my already dxd conditions. That's a helpful insight. Ducky, I will try to use some of those coping strategies. Thanks for the encouragement.

I've decided I don't want to add to my current medication cocktail; I think I'm going to talk to my tdoc about how to deal with the symptoms, regardless of what they are caused by.
Having bipolar disorder means waking up and not knowing whether Tigger or Eeyore will be making decisions for you
BiBiGirl

Return to Related Disorders