Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Sigma from other BP people

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by Snowflake » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am

I recently talked to a girl I work with about having Bipolar and opened up and told me that she as well. She asked me if I was getting help. (I will be but haven't as of yet). We started talking about meds. She told me how she tried meds and how she didn't like them and that she doesn't think we need meds and how the mess you up. I didn't tell her I wanted to try meds because of what she would think. I've gotten stuff like this before from other people. I hate that I can't even talk fully to other people with the same disorder that I have.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little un-well. I know, right now you can't tell. But stay a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me."
Snowflake

by BiBiGirl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 am

That's tough... Sometimes people will think their experience speaks for everyone's, which is definitely not true (especially with BP where there is a lot of variation in how people experience it and also in severity of symptoms). Personally, medication was right for me. I had a bit of a time finding the right one, but I was patient and now I am much happier.
Having bipolar disorder means waking up and not knowing whether Tigger or Eeyore will be making decisions for you
BiBiGirl

by Duckysmom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:51 am

Was this person actually diagnosed? Her response to you seemed ignorant of the full effects BP can have on people. Or maybe she just likes the ups and tolerates the downs better than most of us. I could never live without my meds.

We have enough judgment and stigma from society in general and don't need it coming from someone who says they are BP too. Maybe she had a bad reaction to a med and decided they were all bad. I'm not going to bash her because I don't know her story.

You need to take care of your own mental health the best way you can, and that starts with the dx from a trained professional in BP, possibly starting on the med-go-round to find which meds work best for you and finding a good therapist to help you get through and navigate the whole BP experience. It gets easier as you go along and find stability, but it is a life long commitment to care for yourself.

I'm sorry you had that experience when opening up to someone. You won't find that kind of rationale here. Non-judgmental, compassionate support is in this site. A lot of caring people. And you just might find some of the same in real life. Do you have a support system? A pdoc (psychiatrist) and a tdoc (therapist)? Family? Close friends? Don't let one person sway you from getting the help you need. I've had two people tell me all I needed to do was pray and I would healed. They aren't in my life anymore. I had to take care of myself, my whole self, and BP is not (yet?) curable without the proper medical care. Maybe someday . . .
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:52 am

Snowflake, that chick is in denial and just ignore her. Don't give a rats ass what she thinks.

You're doing all the right things and that's what is important. She's just tripping. The only way to treat to BP is THERAPY and MEDS. There's no getting around it.

You have us to talk to now......we get it and we understand how important meds and therapy are. We're all on meds. Couldn't survive without them. They keep us stable.

Have you seen a psychiatrist (pdoc) or therapist (tdoc) yet? When will you start on meds?....soon I hope........ :) And I really hope you'll be seeing a tdoc if you aren't already.....most important.

And remember......no stigma here..... ;)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:10 am

Snowflake you know from your previous posts that we are a non judgemental group here. Filled with caring and compassionate people. Ignore what that girl is saying she has no clue what she is talking about.

We need meds to anchor ourselves. Without meds the rollercoaster ride we deal with would be to much to handle all the time. You said before that you were starting meds this summer. What are they? If the first round don't seem to work never fear there are others to try. That's why we call it the med go round.

Are you still seeing a counselor? Not sure but are you seeing a pdoc?
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 am

Denial is a river in Egypt. You'll find other people to open up to, for suresy. :)

And here we don't have stigma, we usually see a bunch of it for sale elsewhere but we never buy it, it's always given to us free of charge. Ain't life grand?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Stigma