Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

I shopped doctors for less stigma

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by OnTheMend » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 am

Stupid, I know. My first bp dx was a long time ago and the likelihood of employment trouble was very real. I switched primary doctors without transferring records and then got a new referral. I controlled the narrative and got depression plus ADHD. The stigmas around those were/are not nearly as bad. The downside was that I was getting almost, but not quite, the right treatment. I have also quit taking meds several times and claimed I had beat both conditions. It seems to have kicked up a notch, so I finally came clean with a new pdoc answering all questions honestly and giving a complete history (which is what I did the first time because I was not expecting to get body slammed) and the new dx is the old dx - type 2 bipolar (not type 1 because enough time has passed since last serious risk taking and I don't completely lose touch with reality).
OnTheMend

by Spm24 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 am

OnTheMend,

Welcome. Glad you came clean with your new doc. As you said, maybe in not so many words. It is not the best thing to do to lie to your doctor's or only tell half the truth.

Hopefully this will help you head in the right direction....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by OnTheMend » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am

A big part of it is how privacy laws have changed and how long it has been since that first dx. On the first dx, I did fill out paperwork with an inaccuracy and then dropped a really obvious (noddy winky) hint to the doctor that maybe I wasn't remembering the dates exactly right and perhaps there was more recent street drug use than it said. Now that was so long ago that it would get shrugged off by most employers and I have not used street drugs since, so I was less concerned about writing it down. These days it is all about whether you can pee in a cup now rather than what you did in your youth and not all employers do that (but nearly all make you sign something that says they can). There is a reasonable chance I am at my last job anyway.
OnTheMend

by Mocha » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am

OntheMend, I'm really glad you decided to change docs, and to be honest with the new one. Only way to go. They can't help you if you if don't. Even if you ended up with the same dx.

I hear what you mean about the tox screens......oy......:roll:.......Now even doc's require them because of the 'opioid epidemic'. Even if there is a legitament reason for them.

Why do you think this will be your last job?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by hal » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am

Welcome, OnTheMend. I hope you'll find BPS worth while. Just keep on participating!
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by OnTheMend » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Mocha wrote:I hear what you mean about the tox screens......oy......:roll:.......Now even doc's require them because of the 'opioid epidemic'. Even if there is a legitament reason for them.

Why do you think this will be your last job?

In reverse order...
I have been at the same job over 20 years and the group I work in is being phased out. But they need support for things we developed for about 5-7 years. There are no guarantees, but I have been approached about turning the lights off because that will carry me to retirement and I am unlikely to bail on them. Plus I know more of the history, I am a good developer and I actually enjoy support now (used to hate it when I needed to stay current).

Opioids - I understand the pull. I took short courses of them after surgeries. A year or so back, I got the nastiest allergy drip cough I have ever had. My primary prescribed the yummy codeine cough syrup. I enjoyed that immensely and darn if I didn't get another nasty cough not much later. By the end of that one, I was dosing it out carefully and making sure I got every drop. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I could convince her I needed more. "It got stolen" - no, that would mean I should call the police. "It got spilled" - that might work. I got on the portal to send her a message. Fortunately the honesty bug got the better of me and I told her not to let me have that or any other opioid ever again.
OnTheMend

Return to Stigma