Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Insensitive stereotyping

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by Lulu25 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 am

So the other day I told my supervisor I'm bipolar. He's a really nice guy and he's not an overbearing micromanaging type of boss. But he made a really uneducated and Insensitive comment that got to me. He was talking about a guy that walked into one of our other office locations. He described how the guy could not stop moving and how he was talking to himself. That the guy seemed like he was on drugs. But then he said i dont know he had to be cracked out or bipolar. Ummmmm I had to intervene. I simply asked why would you say he was bipolar? He said because how he was acting, how he was talking to himself, he seemed "not all there", and just like a crazy man. There was another agent in the office, but she stepped out for a bit and I took the opportuinity. I told him I was bipolar and he said you don't seem bipolar. I told him I wasn't offended or mad at him. But I explained to him what bipolar disorder is and some of the struggles that come with it. He asked questions and I answered. In the end he apologized for making such an ignorant and Insensitive comment. People that have never had to see someone live with it or deal with it are so uneducated. Bipolar and psychopath are synonymous to them. I'm proud that I made him aware. I feel good about it. I told him when he hears someone make that mistake all I ask is that he educate them, as I did for him. It was a great conversation and we mutually respect one another. I feel it was a win for us "crazies". Lol
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Duckysmom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 am

Good for you, taking the risk and standing up to that! You should be proud of yourself!
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by AvantGarde » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 am

Heeey that's awesome! Congratulations on stepping up, I know it's hard to gather the strenght sometimes
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Paco » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Wow! Good looking out. One down, millions to go. That took courage.
Paco

by mixedbag » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 am

Kudos! Others are either better at hiding their inability to conform to some sort of rigid and artificial "standard" or simply lack empathy. Empathy Deficit Disorder? Another label ;)
A. Goodman, not A. Goodman.
mixedbag

by Eviltwin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 am

You can't explain bp to normals they just don't get it, I don't get so much but a normal person would say snap out of it I can.we can't just snap out of things it had to just run its course I get
Eviltwin

by Billy.G » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:26 am

It can take a cool and collected mind to educate someone, especially if they make remarks that are offensive to you.
I dont hide the fact that im Bipolar, but I also dont just bring it up in conversation either.
I typically get the "You dont seem Bipolar" or "I never would have guessed" if it ever comes up. There is a stigma with what we have, and while I find alot of people can be understanding, they will probably never be able to understand.
“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”
- Randy Pausch
Billy.G

by cottontail » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 pm

I am, or was before medication, one of the crazy one with Bipolar 1. My behaviour was very aggressive and I still fight it. I have a psychosis and extreme mood swings. What can I say but I live with stigma where I live every single day. I just wish those who are being so blind with hate never have children in similar circumstances (secretly I wish they do it would serve them right :evil: )
cottontail

Return to Stigma