Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Work

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by Steffa36 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 pm

I've worked at the local grocery store for 2 years the longest I have ever had a job in my whole entire life when I first started working there I also first started seeing a social worker and psycologist they put me on an antidepressant because they thought that was the problem which I never really had a clue what I was experiencing

I started feeling really high within a week of taking them I was working on becoming a manager for a department things were going great was working tons of hours not sleeping as much and than all the sudden they found someone else

I was taken off the antidepressant and put on a very low dose of quatiapine and than things got really dark I ended up in the hospital unfortunately people at retail places are gossips and like to know everyone's business and that passed and things where fine and a couple months ago I started university in September I.

Stopped taking my meds and started staying up all night started using again and ended up 6 hours away on a bus trip doing a bunch of really embarrassing things again in the hospital given drugs and sent home and I took some time off of work but I would go there to pick up some things and people where acting strange asking if I was alright and I didn't understand why

I hadn't told anyone what happened but apparently the police where there looking for me and now I feel as if people's behaviours have changed towards me no one says hi to me anymore they say stuff behind my back and just avoid me and it makes my anxiety so bad I get almost delusional thinking and it drives me crazy even though I only work on the weekend

I feel so weary going there because I feel like no one gets it even though people throw around the word bipolar like omg I think I have that my moods are crazy and it's like no you don't even know. I feel the stigma there and the only reason I stay is because my meds are covered and I have 90 percent dental.
Steffa36

by AvantGarde » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Stigma is a very nasty part of mental illness, we've all suffered from it in one form or another. One thing that helped me was to keep doing my therapy and taking my meds, their prejudice is in their minds not ours and if you need to stand up for yourself, do it. There's nothing wrong in yourself if you have a mental illness, it's not contagious. It's not a fault in character, it's not a problem for them only for yourself. You try hard to keep working and taking your meds despite all the crazy things that happened to you, don't let their prejudice get in your head.

You can stand up for yourself, if it makes you feel better. I stood up for myself once or twice and it made them shut up. Now I'm more feisty, if someone says something the wrong way I always correct them :lol: No harm, no faul.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Oh yeah.......antidepressants and bp can make a terrible mix.......as I sure you know by now....... ;)
Could I ask why you stopped taking your Seroquel, if you were doing so well on it? What other meds are you taking now?

Try not to let those assholes at work get to you. You're better than that. What do you care what they think anyway?......yanno? In the bigger scheme of things they don't really make a shit to begin with..... :) I feel sorry for folks who have so little to do. Besides karma will always bite them in the ass......... :twisted:

You're the winner because you still get your benefits. They can't take that away from you......... :twisted:
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Steffa36 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 am

Thank you guys for your support
I've only been officially diagnosed with bipolar 1 in October and I guess I put too much on myself I went to university a full course load and I was really struggling I felt like I didn't have enough time to study I couldn't concentrate my mind was always racing also being at such a huge university with so many people caused me to feel worse and worse and I thought well maybe if I don't take it tonight I can stay up later and be more productive but I am learning now that I can't just do that because the consequences are very risky. They just added the lamotrigine and I'm working up too a high dose and things are starting to feel abit more brighter I still have alot to work on but they are coming along now. Again you guys are great and I'm glad to have some people to relate too. :)
Steffa36

by Lisa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 pm

When I first started this job, almost 20 years ago, I had a supervisor that was gossiped about, being bipolar. I didn't know what it was, nothing concrete was said, but they made it sound terrible. My supervisor told me about it at one point and said that it was quite terrible for her, her husband, & her kids. I explained that I only ever saw her acting 'normal'... being hard at work, freaking out about problems, helping others, taking breaks when it was slow, the same things that I did.

We were both BP, it just took me years to get diagnosed. HA!

But, I take my meds, one day without meds and I am a freakin' viper... I keep a dose in my purse just in case I forget.
Lisa

Return to Stigma