Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Sad

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

Sad

by Margot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 am

I ofcourse told my partner and Kids my new diagnose. They were very understanding and supportive. Reassured me no mather what they just love me the way I am.

After a while I decided to tell my three best and closest friends.... not knowing what to expect.

The first one reacted great, she said no mather what label they stick on you you stay the same person and that she was glad the new med combo finaly worked.

The second one listened to me for about five minutes and then started talking about her own mental problems. Well that's typical for her (sigh).

The third one however told me she thinks I just love the idea of having a mental illnes. This is the same friend who also believes I am not addicted to alcohol.

It makes me sad. I hardly speak to anyone about my feelings deep inside, my despare and my mood swings. Her reaction made me cry and I don't know how to handle this.

Margot
Margot

by Pancake » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 am

Bummer on the last one, but the family and first friend sound fab. Not everyone gets it.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:02 am

I can relate... I try to think how it is really impossible for people without mental problems to relate and understand. And people don't have much empathy nowadays as well.

I also have a friend that keeps trying to compete mental issues, although she refuses to see a psychiatrist or psychologist, in her own words "Don't want to be labeled crazy"
I gave up talking to her about my mental issues, it's no use, she turns it around and make it sound like she is always worse than me. Bah!

I have supportive friends too, they're out there. Although they don't understand, they're sympathetic.

I think I've learned how to now be concerned about what others think, I live happier that way. They don't need to understand, and we do learn a lot from what we want and expect of others by their reactions to our mental issues.

Don't be sad, though, you still have support around you. Remember that it's hard for neurotypicals to understand mental illness.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Margot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

True, I must learn to focus on the bright side. Thanks for pointing that out. My tdoc also recommended me to count my blessings and embrace the people that support and love me just the way I am.
Margot

Return to Stigma