Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

General ignorance

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:18 am

So, you know I'm an internet forum freak... it's not news.

I found a writers forum a few months ago, in an attempt to get out of my writers block. It worked, gave me the confidence to start writing again. Then it was time to join in on the discussions, and I decided to ask a question: wether my character should slowly dive into insanity or start off completely bonkers. I've gotten a lot of great replies, most said what I was already thinking that she should start off having symptoms and to not delay it much, it gets boring.

One particular person replied that "Crazy people don't know they're crazy, that's why they're crazy." ... I tried to explain that it isn't so, that a lot of us know when we're going bonkers and it depends on a lot of variables if we seek help or not. Mind you, in order to mantain anonymity I didn't give any information about myself and didn't say I have a mental illness. Don't participate much in there, only when I think I have really something to add.

The person continued on saying that "empaths are the ones who are sensible enough to know telepathy really exists. So, you're just giving out false information"

I sighed and didn't reply to the empaths part.

I added that idea to my book, on a dialogue between my character and the antagonist :lol: I thanked that person for the input and said I would incorporate what she said in my writing :lol:

Jeebuz....
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:45 am

I'm not sure why you'd doubt her, she's obviously proving her own argument :lol: :lol: :lol:

We live in a reality where EL James got published and a movie, I'm sure your new internet friend and her crazy ideas have an equal chance.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:09 am

We have this portuguese journalist that writes fiction. I refuse to call him a writer because I want to attribute some dignity to the trade. His dialogues are hilariously badly writen, his sensual characters all have the same "pouty lips" "big bosoms" and other cliche characteristics.

He's the portuguese best seller. He calls himself the next Saramago (portuguese damn good writer that won a nobel)

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by lisastout » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:21 am

I'm writing a book right now. Well, I've been writing it on and off for, like, 3 years. I'll get inspired, write for a few days, and then completely lose my creative juices for months at a time.

In my book, the main character is schizophrenic, but the character doesn't know and the readers will not realize it until the very last chapter. The main character will discover something monumentally terrible about someone, and then will begin getting harassed by some sort of organized crime group - Phone calls, stalking, threatening letters, phone taps, and so on until she is on the run, terrified that she has a hit out on her. In the last chapter, the readers will learn that none of it was real, and that it was all paranoid delusions due to schizophrenia. Maybe someday I'll get past chapter three....Hope this helps. Can't wait to see what you create!!
Lisa
"I can't explain or justify what's in my mind or why I cry"
lisastout

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:52 am

That seems cool, just please please please be aware of schizophrenia related cliches :lol: I'm not very fond of those :lol:

Mine is about the spiritual aspect of life really, in this particular case of a person with schizophrenia and an atheist neurotypical's reaction to religious delusions. It will be more centered in debunking certain myths about the disorder than exploiting the symptoms.

But my character is probably schizoaffective... I haven't really decided yet. Certain things need to be trimmed :D

Good luck with your project :)

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:50 am

"Crazy people don't know they're crazy, that's why they're crazy."

oy f'ing vey.......:roll:....

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by lisastout » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:03 pm

AG,

I've honestly worried about your statement and the fact that I may have offended you off and on all day. I think too much, I know. I've been writing in first person from the perspective of the lady who honestly feels like she is in danger. I myself have had psychotic delusions (in what I now know was my first and worst manic episode), and the feeling when no one believes what I felt what was a very real situation was frustrating. I think it would be interesting for readers to follow the story and believe right along with the character, only to find out in the end everything was not quite what it seemed . I want readers to think twice about mental illness as opposed to saying 'they're just acting crazy', for the person experiencing it, it's very real. Anyways, if you feel in any way that I may do the opposite or upset others, I'll certainly rethink my story!!
Lisa
"I can't explain or justify what's in my mind or why I cry"
lisastout

by Trevor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:16 pm

One particular person replied that "Crazy people don't know they're crazy, that's why they're crazy." ... I tried to explain that it isn't so, that a lot of us know when we're going bonkers and it depends on a lot of variables if we seek help or not. Mind you, in order to mantain anonymity I didn't give any information about myself and didn't say I have a mental illness. Don't participate much in there, only when I think I have really something to add.

The person continued on saying that "empaths are the ones who are sensible enough to know telepathy really exists. So, you're just giving out false information"

AvanteGarde i wanted to tell you that if you just give this interaction a setting and physical description it would stand alone as a non fiction piece. i have never been published in a magazine myself, but i see potential for a short piece in this if you wanted to try. it is extremely funny and it has happened to a lot of people. i think just yesterday i found out one of my good friends from a bipolar chat room was a freakin' empath. the real definition of an empath is someone that suddenly declares a chronic belief in the power of telepathy out of the middle of nowhere.
Trevor

by Trevor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm

I also love to write. I recently was working on a short story but i have put it aside for a while. i should get back to it. The protagonist in the story has bipolar disorder and that affects his actions throughout the story. he is highly reflective because his disorder makes that necessary. he has to meet his best friend at a bar before he can sleep on her couch, so he postpones a medication dose in order to have a drink. this might contribute to his impulsive behavior later in the story, it is really up to the reader to make that call (he kills a unicorn).

i thought since taking medication was such an important part of the character's life that i should include the information from the beginning, otherwise i would keep saying "oh i can't add that part yet."
Trevor

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 pm

lisastout wrote:AG,

I've honestly worried about your statement and the fact that I may have offended you off and on all day. I think too much, I know. I've been writing in first person from the perspective of the lady who honestly feels like she is in danger. I myself have had psychotic delusions (in what I now know was my first and worst manic episode), and the feeling when no one believes what I felt what was a very real situation was frustrating. I think it would be interesting for readers to follow the story and believe right along with the character, only to find out in the end everything was not quite what it seemed . I want readers to think twice about mental illness as opposed to saying 'they're just acting crazy', for the person experiencing it, it's very real. Anyways, if you feel in any way that I may do the opposite or upset others, I'll certainly rethink my story!!

No Lisa, you certainly didn't offend me. It's just my stupid sense of humour, forgive me :lol: I know a lot about schizophrenia, you can ask me any question via PM if you want if you're having doubts about something. Usually on the web there isn't a lot of information regarding actual thoughts and behaviors. I have it and moderated a forum of people with schizophrenia, so I have a lot of knowledge about it.

Sorry if I came out rude, that wasn't my intention. I think your idea is great :)

Trevor wrote:AvanteGarde i wanted to tell you that if you just give this interaction a setting and physical description it would stand alone as a non fiction piece. i have never been published in a magazine myself, but i see potential for a short piece in this if you wanted to try. it is extremely funny and it has happened to a lot of people. i think just yesterday i found out one of my good friends from a bipolar chat room was a freakin' empath. the real definition of an empath is someone that suddenly declares a chronic belief in the power of telepathy out of the middle of nowhere.

I put it on my book as an idea from my antagonist, it was a fun dialogue to write :lol:
Maybe I could make a short story about that particular character yeah :lol: Thanks Trevor :)

Trevor wrote:I also love to write. I recently was working on a short story but i have put it aside for a while. i should get back to it. The protagonist in the story has bipolar disorder and that affects his actions throughout the story. he is highly reflective because his disorder makes that necessary. he has to meet his best friend at a bar before he can sleep on her couch, so he postpones a medication dose in order to have a drink. this might contribute to his impulsive behavior later in the story, it is really up to the reader to make that call (he kills a unicorn).

i thought since taking medication was such an important part of the character's life that i should include the information from the beginning, otherwise i would keep saying "oh i can't add that part yet."

:) That's a good idea! I was very torn between chosing the disorder of my character, the way I've written her so far she's definitely schizoaffective :lol: How far along are you guys? I'm at 50k words.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Trevor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Mine is only six and half pages (2302 words). it was a short story. i just have to go over it again and it should be done.

i haven't been much of a creative writer since the election voted against my mental health. i should really get back to this story and start submitting it.....
Trevor

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Best way to deal with our issues is to write them down to have some perspective over it. Maybe you can write about how this election triggered your mental issues.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Trevor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:47 pm

i think my writing will go in a new direction. i just feel like it isn't good for me write about politics. i have a mood journal that my Tdoc actually reads right back to me during sessions. i write "the election scared me. don't talk about the election. iran scares me. don't talk about iran. russia scares me...."

but my writing will definitely create a new world for me as we move forward through time and i have new things to focus on. i wrote a poem in one of the forums here. that was my first creative writing since the election. my writing will save me from thinking about the election until i am ready to write about it, if i ever am!
Trevor

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm

That's great that you wrote a poem :) It was so hard for me to get out of my block. My tdoc kept saying "When you're ready, you'll write, don't worry" and so it was. I had a mini psychotic episode one morning and decided to write about it. It was cathartic.

Hope you manage to write something that's good for yourself.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Trevor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:06 pm

you know i think i will get to writing about why i am so afraid of the election and the effect it had on me. but i might not do it for a while....

thanks for the idea AG :D i shouldn't assume i will be unable to write about it forever.

how many pages is 50K?
Trevor

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Around 100. I'm at one third of what I want to write.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Just for the record, I'm perfectly, 100%, barking sane.

I put it in my sig so people don't get confused.

@ Lisa, there's a couple of series I've watched where they do a reality twist, they're some of my favourites. One is an episode of Buffy where she gets stabbed with a kind of venom and wakes up in an institution, flicking between realities and having to decide which one is real. I like the mind-bend. The other I can't remember off the top of my head, but similar concept.
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Pancake wrote:Just for the record, I'm perfectly, 100%, barking sane.

I can never really tell... :lol:

Yeah, just avoid M. Shyamalan genre and it's all good by me. Eg: all psychos are muderers and dangerous.

I should write him a letter titled: We're just little golden retriever puppies

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:59 pm

Yes! An open letter.

Writers that do their research are so much more believable.
Pancake

by Trevor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:57 pm

AG i also have the goal of a 300 page story, but it is one of those loooong term projects. i am focusing on shorter works until i even start the longer piece, which might turn out to be a mish mash of shorter works. I also have to get down to reading all the time so my writing voice is solid.

i can't have done any better research than basically basing the character's disorder on my own. i am writing from the third person, and the character looks a bit different that me, but i can't write from the point of view of someone diagnosed with a disease i don't have. i always take the advice "write what you know."
Trevor

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Trevor, one of the coolest things about writing is doing the research for you to be able to know what you're writing about, so if you feel that you won't do a good job but want to write about something just spend a year or two just researching about it. Reading all you can grab your paws at. :lol:

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Stigma