Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Stigmatized myself at work...

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by CMPLX » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm

So during the summer I decided with my doctor that I was going to switch meds, from abilify to latuda. I made the switch right around mid june. At first I didn't notice any difference at all, but then I started to get a little down feeling. Mid July came and I had a big music performance, one I had been really looking forward to and working hard preparing for. It went amazing, but unfortunately this triggered one of the most intense manic episodes I have ever experienced, lasting 8 days. The ups and downs that followed for the next month were excruciating. This took a huge toll on my work. The end result was during a period of racing thoughts, pressured thinking, and great irritability I lost my temper on my boss and walked off site.

This almost got me fired. My boss had been loosely informed by me that I had bp, but more importantly she had a family member who had it so she was very understanding. Unfortunately to not get punished for what happened the company forced me to retroactively apply for FMLA for the days that I missed work, walked out, left early etc during this period of time. This was the minimum requirement, my HR representative highly suggested I apply for future coverage as well.

Once I upped my dose all this went away, I just wasn't prescribed enough it turns out in the end. Unfortunately now my director, supervisor, and HR people all know this about me, and who knows who else. It has definitely changed my relationships to say the least.
CMPLX

by Polrus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 pm

That sucks. I don't know a lot about employees rights and employers responsibilities and that kind of stuff but I'd suggest that if they're going to make it all legal and exact on you then you should make sure it works the other way. Keep notes, take copies of things, witnesses if you need. Just make sure they play straight with you. (someone else could so speak better to this, I barely know what I'm saying.)
Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.

Macbeth
Polrus

by Lisa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Wow, CMPLX that totally SUCKS!

During one of my worst periods, my supervisor at the time suggested I try to find a therapist & fill out paperwork to get on FMLA, she didn't know what was wrong but she knew I needed help.

At this point, I think HR and everyone in my department knows I am BP, and I don't care. The only difference is that 'they' schedule personal days off and I schedule a mental health day off XD
Lisa

Return to Stigma