Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

First time

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by GypsySoul » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:35 am

Hi everyone!
I didn't really know where else to go so here I am. I dealt with my first stigma of having this illness yesterday at work. What makes it even better is one of the people who did this suffers from BP as well.
Apparently my boss and manager have been going to my co worker/bestie checking on me. Making sure I'm ok and expressing that they're worried about me. This is fine and I think sweet. I told them months ago that I was starting meds so they've noticed that there are times I'm just not myself. This is coupled with intense therapy I get weekly. Plus I ended a toxic/abusive relationship with a man I thought of as the love of my life.
Yesterday, I hit the afternoon exhaustion point. Went into the office to ask a simple question. Instead of just a simple answer, I'm hit with them jumping on me about what's going on. Saying I need a second opinion and that the meds are making me bipolar. That I was so much better off of them. When I went to explain things I got eye rolls, nasty looks as if I were stupid, and dismissed. I was even told that some of my behavior wasn't linked to my therapy bringing up traumatic events in my life. I walked out almost in tears. Wanting to throw all my meds away and find a new job.
They don't seem to understand that I'm really good at hiding things. That my meds have actually made it so I can't hide my episodes any more.
Sorry this is so long. Just needed to reach out.
GypsySoul

by Pancake » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:48 am

Their behaviour sounds like it belongs back in high school, that's waaaay outta line. Hope you are ok.

If you need help dealing with them sometimes I've found my therapist helpful with negotiating difficult conversations.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Jac68 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Sounds like they haven't even attempted to understand or educate themselves.

I agree, talk with your tdoc.
Jac68

by Spm24 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:11 am

GypsySoul,
Stigma is a hard thing to be blindsided by. Especially those you thought would/could understand.
Make your posts as long as you need them..
Hope you can find a solution....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Duckysmom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I don't know where you live or how long you have been there, but if it's the US and been a year, you could file for the family leave act. That protects your job and they have to back off. Time off for doc appts and needing special accommodations are covered. And even if you think it's sweet, they are breaking laws discussing your illness with anyone in the organization. Protect yourself while working on getting yourself well.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

Return to Stigma