Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

My new job found out ... tearful rant.

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by Karie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am

I started a new job two months ago... I love this job! Well, I used to. Until I found out that they owe previous employees thousands of unpaid salaries.

I had a talk to my boss, but this kept bothering me. Then the end of July hit, and... no salary.

Then they found out through someone else that I have Bipolar. I was confronted, and I denied.

But with all the financial stress, I was becoming increasingly agitated, instead of keeping quiet, I became argumentative. I kept begging for money, and they kept saying they don't have any.

To me it feels as if suddenly I was being treated very unfairly and all my marketing efforts feels that they are purposefully criticising me, and trying to stop me from doing my job.

My relationship with my boss just worsened. He again confronted me about bipolar, and I decided, well, he definitely knows, so eventually I admitted. I have had a week of utter turmoil - arguments, confrontations, and Tuesday I spent in tears the entire day and evening.

Yesterday I was sent home. I was told that they have spoken to their lawyers. I was confronted that I did not tell them, and then that I denied. I told him that according to my country's law, I don't have to tell them.

They requested that I go to a doc of their choice to confirm that I had been taking my meds. I proved the payment to the chemist on my bank account, and invited them to drive home with me, so that they can count the tablets taken. He still insists that I did not drink meds.

I tried to explain that the lack of my salary, caused that I could not go for a meds update yet, but the lack of money is causing me to probably go manic.

I have been stable for three years.

I am just in a terrible place right now. I feel raw, hurt, tearful, angry, and angry at bipolar.

I really enjoyed this job, I truly enjoyed what I was doing.
Karie

by Mocha » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 am

Hi, Karie.....I'm so sorry for everything you're going through. I don't know what country you're in, but there's no way your boss can get away with this stuff legally. I know they can't in the States anyway. We have something called the American Disability Act that protects the rights of the disabled.. Do you have something similiar to that where you are?

And they're talking about bringing their lawyers into it? jeeze.....hell, you're the one who should be talking to an attorney because of all the back pay they owe you, and their pattern of not paying other employees in the past.

That's probably why they're putting this all on you......because they haven't paid you in a couple of months and obviously have no intention of paying you.

Karie, can I ask why you're staying at this job? You're not getting paid.....they've told you there's no money......and you know they already owe others thousands of dollars. And now they're completely out of line re: your bipolar. Biggest case of stigma I've ever seen. You don't have to tell them anything about your disorder. And you sure can't go on working for free.

No one deserves to be treated this way.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Karie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 am

I am in South Africa, and similarly, here, we have very strict Labour Laws, very similar to USA's. The thing is that I signed a 3-month probation contract, but there is still 1 month left.

I am 57 years old, jobs are HARD to find in SA.

But I am suspecting that what they do is to employ people for 2 months, then let them go the minute you start insisting on your salary? Is it possible that people can be like that?

I am not sure if this is again me being hyper critical and hyper suspicious? I feel as if I am too close to the situation, too emotional, too hyped, not thinking straight?

I am also scared that if I leave now, it will be easy for them to not pay me, like they did with the other people.
Karie

by Mocha » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:30 am

Karie, what about the other people you work with? Are they getting paid? Or to your knowledge, is it just people like you who have signed a three month contract?

Do you have a Labour Board there? Or something like that where you could file a complaint about not being paid? Also, there should be something or someone you could file a complaint with about the whole bipolar thing, like them wanting you to see a doctor of their choosing, etc. Cause that is total bullshit.

I would be suspicious too......I think that's a pretty normal reaction considering everything.

One more thing. Have you talked to any of the other people who left without being paid? It might be interesting to see what they have to say if possible.

Again, I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. We all know how things like this can trigger the BP. And how hard it can be when money is an issue.

We'll talk more tomorrow, my time......I'm in No. CA.....I need to get some rest.....take care of yourself.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Karie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 am

You are really very kind.

I am truly feeling better now. I started doubting my own judgement here.
Karie

by Pancake » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:20 am

Hi Karie, welcome.

Your employer sounds like a scamming thug. Please please, what Mocha said. Get any communication in writing and take it to whatever organisations protect workers rights in your country. If anything relevant has been communicated by email, print them out now while you have access. Keep all possible records, including, if nothing is in writing, making a note of any interactions and what was said in a log book.

Their lawyer threat sounds like a scare tactic, it certainly sounds like any law would be on your side. Especially if there are disclosure laws.

Yes, employers can scam the system and take advantage of vulnerable people as much as any other group can. Yours sound like complete assholes. If they don't have any money (and I bet the boss isn't going without his paycheck), why do they have 'employees'... Is it a small business or is there a HR department? I am so sorry you are experiencing this.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by hal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:26 am

"I am not sure if this is again me being hyper critical and hyper suspicious? I feel as if I am too close to the situation, too emotional, too hyped, not thinking straight?"

Absolutely not. I don't see any evidence of "hyper critical" on your part. Hyper suspicious? Sorry to say this, but you've been a little naive. Not thinking straight? Your writing is totally clear and logical. The fact is that you're being shat upon. These guys are sharp businessmen at the least (meaning they operate at the edge of the law).

I understand your concern about your age. There may be anti-ageist laws on the book but they're impossible to enforce.

Best wishes to you in dealing with this ridiculous case. And welcome to our community; I hope you'll stay.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

Return to Stigma