Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Court

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by robinrules » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 am

Hey Guys,
It's Michelle. Missed you guys. Been busy. Will leave at that. Advice: My husband has to go to court on a BS charge. He wants tell the judge he is bipolar. I told him no due to stigma in our court system. His lawyer knows but will use it if needed. Advice Please. Also tell what's going on with u guys
robinrules

by SoreBrain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey!

Unless the charge would be dropped if he was to reveal he was bipolar, it might be better to avoid it, due to the stigma. Could make it worse. I would just go with whatever your lawyer advises. They would know best. :-)

Hope you can come back more!
SoreBrain

by Mocha » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:06 pm

hey Michelle.... :)

It's been experience in court that the client just couldn't start talking to the Judge anyway. Your lawyer will have to speak for you...That's why you have an attorney in the first place......Btw....does he have a PD or a private attorney?

If you don't mind me asking, what's the charge? It might have something to do with my answer on whether or not to play the BP card. Don't feel embarrassed.......most of us have had to deal with the law at one time or another in our BP career......I know I have several times.... ;) ...and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sometimes honesty is best.....besides, there's the whole lawyer/client confidentiality thing. The attorney can't advise you if he doesn't know. Doesn't mean the judge would have to know. So what's the story?
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Stigma