Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Stigma with decisions

Have you been a victim? Or have you contributed to your own stigma?

by ThatDude » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am

How does everyone handle the stigma with decisions?
I was worried that people that knew of my BP would second guess me on decision making, and I'm already seeing it. I've been replaced in the "it" crowd of leadership at work (work unfortunately found out after I had a bad episode when my meds were adjusted too high) and friends and family act like I can't make decisions also. I'm actually looking for a new job because I hit a dead end now because of this.
I do have a history of making poor manicky decisions, but it was never a big deal to anyone and they were mostly personal decisions. Work was one of the few places were I could focus and I never made bad work related decisions. All of a sudden you're diagnosed and only then it is a big deal and you're treated like you can't be trusted.
ThatDude

by ThatDude » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:08 am

Oh and I want to add, I ended up telling my ex-wife about my diagnosis, because of our child. I wanted her to be aware so we could be pro-active with him and not have a situation like myself where I get diagnosed in my early 30s. Her treatment towards me has gotten so out of control since then that I had to recently go back to my divorce lawyer and get our custody order modified since she is taking advantage of our current one now. It's frustrating even when treated because I feel like I have to live with a lie. Does anyone else feel this way?
ThatDude

by Pancake » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 pm

well, that doesn't sound like much fun. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster my family don't hover like that, although it probably comes from a place of caring.

Your therapist is a resource that should be able to help you navigate this stuff in a way that's not confrontational, both for work and home?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by aroden » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:37 pm

This is every fear I have since I've been diagnosed a year ago. I've told 11 people but feel like I walk around with a big red B for bipolar on my forehead. My own brothers don't know for fear of judgement. The stigma will always be there I fear and I honestly believe the more we talk about it the more people are educated and hopefully the stigma will lessen. I also feel terrible about the whole kid situation because once the courts see bipolar it's over. Keep your head up.
aroden

Return to Stigma