Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Newly diagnosed, found meds that work...whats next?

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by loreleiG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi! I was diagnosed bipolar 2 in June. So my pdoc put me on new meds about a month ago (after some time of trying other meds) and the combo seems to work! I'm on sertraline, aripiprazole and buspirone. My question is, what can I expect now that I'm on medicine that "works"? What kinds of things can send you into a depression or hypomanic from this "normal" feeling state?

I understand there are about a million answers to this question, but what have been your experiences after feeling like you were FINALLY on the right combination of meds? I'm excited that I now feel good, but I'm just waiting for the moment it all comes crashing down (or up?). Any tips on how not to get too comfortable? Currently trying to get a new therapist in the mix to help!

Thanks for any/all tips or experiences you have to share! :)
loreleiG

by Spm24 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 pm

It is hard to actually say. It all depends. Everyone gets set off by many different things. I still have trouble knowing what sets me off. Sometimes it can just be the day, the weather,what happened the day before. For me what I see or what I read can have an effect...

Expect to have ups and downs. Just when you start tonoti e that your going down or up contact your pdoc or your tdoc when you find one.

When you find a therapist they will make some coping skills plans for you.. Which is something that helps tremendously...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by dubious66 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm

loreleiG wrote:Hi! I was diagnosed bipolar 2 in June. So my pdoc put me on new meds about a month ago (after some time of trying other meds) and the combo seems to work! I'm on sertraline, aripiprazole and buspirone. My question is, what can I expect now that I'm on medicine that "works"? What kinds of things can send you into a depression or hypomanic from this "normal" feeling state?

Celebrate the quick med success!!

Disclaimer: not sure what I supposedly have, but dx'ed BP1 multiple times across the last 30 years. I am lucky compared to some. I have long periods of relative stability between my crazy spells. So what can contribute to my riding? Absolutely nothing. Serious stress. Screwed up sleep. Changing time zones,
Indicators: sleep becomes less necessary. Sex becomes more fun. Thinking and speech becomes faster. I become more impatient. I sing. Or on the flip: getting out of bed takes a lot of self talk, I experience more self-doubt. The world begins to turn grey.
dubious66

by loreleiG » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks for the input, you guys! It certainly is different from everyone. I guess next step is to start getting to know myself and what my triggers are.

Spm24 I can relate to reading as a trigger, except for me it's songs! Added bonus if the song artist has since passed away (Frank Sinatra, Amy Winehouse, etc). I almost find this trigger of mine slightly hilarious. But hey, at least I have one trigger discovered! Glass half full.

It will be hard to distinguish between normal ups/downs and my hypomanics/depressions, but that is what my therapist will be there for I assume. Gotta learn to open up to her and be complete honest and forthcoming with my thoughts/feelings.

Again, thank you! Helps to know others are also goinf through this seemingly never ending process.
loreleiG

Return to Newly Diagnosed