Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

coping with numbness

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by Michelleh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 am

hi. i'm newly diagnosed with bipolar II. I was on lamictal and then I had a severe allergic reaction so I'm on lithium carbonate and fluoxetine. I've been feeling really emotionally numb and I wondered if that's a common feeling.
Michelleh

by AvantGarde » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:48 am

Hi Michelleh, welcome again.

It's a common first side effect of lithium, it usually goes away within weeks or months. Everyone is different with meds, though, we can't really tell how long it will take.

Make yourself comfortable at the forum :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 am

Michelle,

Welcome to the forum... As AG said certain meds have that effect on certain people. For me it was Lamictal. Lithium did not have that affect on me. It might be because I had it with Lamictal and I am on both of them now. But Lithium can have that effect on others.

Hopefully you can feel comfortable here and stick around.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by hal » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 am

Welcome, Michelleh!

I too take Lamictal and lithium together; works very well. I'm not so sure about lithium and fluoxetine (Prozac), though. Sometimes (as with me), antidepressants kick people into mania. That's not happening with you, at least not yet. How long have you been on that combination?
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by MochaAdmin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:03 am

Hi and welcome to BPS, Michelleh......

As the others said, with many of our meds it's not unusual to feel that flat feeling at the beginning of treatment, but it can wear off soon enough. I know you probably feel like some kind of zombie, right?.... :) Just give it a while, and tell your pdoc how you're feeling if it's too much.

Is your pdoc running the usual/routine labs to monitor your Li levels? very very important. If he isn't make sure he does. Don't take no for an answer.

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by Michelleh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm trying to adjust still and i am getting regular blood work done. I'm also concerned that i've been getting seizures and I can't seem to find the reason
Michelleh

by AvantGarde » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Michelleh wrote:I'm also concerned that i've been getting seizures and I can't seem to find the reason

What does your pdoc say about it?
Have you considered going to a neuro?

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Pancake » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Welcome Michelle (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Michelleh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Pancake wrote:Welcome Michelle (:

Thanks!
Michelleh

by Michelleh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 pm

AvantGarde wrote:
Michelleh wrote:I'm also concerned that i've been getting seizures and I can't seem to find the reason

What does your pdoc say about it?
Have you considered going to a neuro?

He said I have seizure disorder but I'm getting an EEG done later this week to confirm things
Michelleh

by AvantGarde » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 am

Ok, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

AvantGarde

by MochaAdmin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 am

Hi again.......

why do you think you're having seizures? Like what signs, etc.? I do have epilepsy, that's why I'm asking.

You're pdoc should be referring you to a neurologist asap.......unless he's a neuropsychiatrist.........neuro's are the ones to see for this type of thing.

Also, an EEG doesn't also show any problems during the test, unfortunately....sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But it's a good place to start.

I've had seizures for 40 yrs so have a little experience....... ;)

I'm on four anticonvulsants to contol the seizures which also work as mood stabiliziers for the BP.......works out just fine.
Lamictal
Tegretal
Topamax
Klonopin (also for anxiety)
And MMJ (but that's an individual choice)

so again, just wondering why do you think you're having seizures?......just curious? I started out with grand mal....now called tonic clonic......

Here's the best site I know for epilepy/seizure disorder info: It lists the basics and all different type of seizures. There are also Forums on the site.

An Introduction to Epilepsy

Hope this helps.

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by Michelleh » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:31 am

MochaAdmin wrote:Hi again.......

why do you think you're having seizures? Like what signs, etc.? I do have epilepsy, that's why I'm asking.

You're pdoc should be referring you to a neurologist asap.......unless he's a neuropsychiatrist.........neuro's are the ones to see for this type of thing.

Also, an EEG doesn't also show any problems during the test, unfortunately....sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But it's a good place to start.

I've had seizures for 40 yrs so have a little experience....... ;)

I'm on four anticonvulsants to contol the seizures which also work as mood stabiliziers for the BP.......works out just fine.
Lamictal
Tegretal
Topamax
Klonopin (also for anxiety)
And MMJ (but that's an individual choice)

so again, just wondering why do you think you're having seizures?......just curious? I started out with grand mal....now called tonic clonic......

Here's the best site I know for epilepy/seizure disorder info: It lists the basics and all different type of seizures. There are also Forums on the site.

An Introduction to Epilepsy

Hope this helps.

Hi! So about three weeks ago, I had an episode, the first I've ever had in my life, where I passed out, went rigid, had convulsions, and then drooled. I came to after about a minute but didn't remember what had happened. Then last week, it happened again only this time for longer. About 25 minutes. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm hoping the EEG will show something significant.
Michelleh

by Stuckles » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Michelleh

I did experience numbness with Lithium as well and toke some time to get past it. It's no fun I know :? Just hang in there and keep your PDoc appraised of the situation.

Seizure disorder can mean a lot of things though as it's not necissarily epilepsy. There are also "pseudoseizures" that is said to relate to stress and psychological disorders that does not directly result from a electric short in the brain. I take Tegretol for what is called "Palinopsia" or "After images" and like Mocha says, bonus is it's used to treat BP as well :lol: . They don't understand it very well and the only way the Neuro could describe it is as a sort of 'cross-over' between a seizure and a migraine.

( P.S. Just in case someone Google's Palinopsia, I have never done LSD :lol: )

EDIT: Lol, didn't see your response to Mocha about what happened, sorry ... was kinda confused that you would Quote her and not say anything in addition till I noticed your reply was inside the quote tag :lol:
Stuckles

by Pancake » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm

EDIT: Lol, didn't see your response to Mocha about what happened, sorry ... was kinda confused that you would Quote her and not say anything in addition till I noticed your reply was inside the quote tag :lol:

Sneaky mod fix (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by WndrMgzLnd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

Hello I am new here, I also actually am worried about "numbness" my physician has suggested that I start taking lamotrigine again however if I remember correctly it made me feel emotionally numb, if I understand correctly from your posts the feeling will pass ?? I am Bi Polar type 2, rapid cycling. if anyone has any advice on how long I should expect to feel this way and or when they started feeling more balanced on their meds... I am also taking seroquil.
" You must do the thing you think you cannot do" - Eleanor Roosevelt
WndrMgzLnd

by Spm24 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am

WndrMgzLnd,
I am on lamotrigine (Lamictal). It is the first med that started to work for me. I started out on the starter pack. Now I am up to 400mgs. As you know it is a slow process to get to that point. But to answer your question during my adjustments which took twoish months I had major brain fog. I was in a big brain fog for one months then it took me another two months till I am where I am on the brain fog. Which is it is basically gone. I forget things and stop in mid sentence but it is only once in a while. To me it is what I would consider normal. But I also had Latuda added in the mist of this time period. So some of it could be attributed to it. I am not sure.

But it does go away. And for everyone it is different...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by WndrMgzLnd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks, That helps a lot! I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post and I am glad that you are doing well, take care! Hope you have an incredible week.
" You must do the thing you think you cannot do" - Eleanor Roosevelt
WndrMgzLnd

Return to Newly Diagnosed