Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

new and afraid of what's to come

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by milk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

hi! since I'm new I'll start of with basic background- was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. was in the hospital once, got out, had a suicide attempt and was admitted again and that's when they figured out i had at least some kind of mood disorder. diagnosed with bipolar 2 and put on abilify when I got out. wasn't allowed back to school due to threatening notes i wrote when at my worst. luckily they're allowing me to go back next year. school was such a huge trigger for me that i'm afraid to go back. i don't know what it'll do to me and i don't want to go back to the place i was in when i wrote those notes.
does anyone else on here take abilify? do you find that it helps?
i don't really have anyone to talk to about this. i'm hoping that i can find a safe space here. thank you for reading :)
milk

by Spm24 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

milk,

Welcome to the forum. There are many caring and compassionate people here.

It is scary when the journey begins. But after time it does get to be easier.

There are some here who have been on abilify. So I am sure someone who has experience will be around to share with you.

Are you seeing a therapist? A psychiatrist?
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by hal » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Welcome to our community, milk. This is a safe space, non judgmental. I hope you'll feel at home here.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Welcome milk :)

I don't take abilify personally but many of us are taking other antipsychotics and they help a lot.

Every person reacts differently to meds, so it's difficult to say if a med will be good for you or won't.

Therapy helps a lot too.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

If you're crazy and you know it, take your meds.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Good to meet you. I'm on abilify but not sure if it's helped me or not. At least I'm not getting any side effects from it.
Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Duckysmom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 am

No experience with Abilify, but I wanted to welcome you. Everyone reacts differently to different meds, so you have to be patient with the med-go-round. I hope this one helps you, but don't dispair if you need to change or add other meds.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by milk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 am

wow! thank you everyone for the replies. i am going to therapy once a week. I don't know if the abilify is helping either- everyone is always asking me if it is and i don't know how to reply. currently feeling up and scared to go back down.
milk

by Mocha » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

Hi and welcome, milk!...... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Pancake » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi milk
Do you see a psychiatrist as well?
We're all on a different medication regime, if what you're doing isn't working maybe you could ask about alternatives.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by 50calty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm

I'll chime in since I have been on abilify. I was on it for about a year. For some reason I would call it my happy pill, but it never made me happy. It kept me level and to the point of keeping me from feeling low or too happy. Honestly it kinda sucked. Somethings that I would be elated about I was just ehe. However I would get really angry/irritable. Abilify took that way and my family was grateful. The biggest side effect for me was tiredness. It just zombified me and I really didn't have a quality of life. Everyone else around me was happy; I wasn't trying to kill them or kill myself. I remember my pdoc told me the effects were pretty much instant, meaning you didn't need any time for the drug to build up in your system. So if you haven't noticed anything I'd call the pdoc. The drug works no doubt about it, just depends if it works for you and side effects. Actually ablifiy is my back up if things go south with lithium. It will keep me alive and safe.
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

by 50calty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:15 pm

I forgot to add this in my post. You mentioned school and not wanting to go back because of what happened. I see you have two fixes. One is to contact the superintendent and try to transfer to another school. I would think It would be hard for them to argue, since you have medical condition and you mentioned triggers there. Second choice is to work with your tdoc and be a beacon of hope to your fellow students. Work with school councilors/teachers/principle. Use it has a education tool for everyone and remove the mental illness stigma. If all that work helps one student come out for help, then it was worth it. It could be too much for you and thats ok. I didn't see your age or grade level. But if you could do it, that would be awesome and I'd look up to you. I never had any of that in schooling. Hell school tried to remove me twice because of my illness. Just my two cents.
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

Return to Newly Diagnosed