Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Confused by my docs (TW - SA)

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by 50calty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:34 am

Back in may of 2016 I went to a pdoc. I knew was getting bad and about to loose my marriage and children. My wife was unable to go, but wrote a letter of my moods and behaviors that she saw. After talking to the pdoc he said I had Bipolar II. Ok great now i have a starting point to work on things. However my tdoc is a Christian doc and doesn't believe in the labels and with work you can be cured. I just let it ride with that for over a year. Well on the end of July I tried to commit suicide. The doctor in there said something of bipolar and that was it. When I came out out of ward I was in a "high" feeling and I could stay up late, have focus, etc.

Last week when I told my pdoc this he said I wasn't mania and just downplayed it as reg depression. Combine that with my tdoc I am just at a lost. My wife has a psy degree and swears up and down I'm bipolar and I've done some of test online and in books. I just don't know. Part of the problem is that I don't feel like I'm doing mania or hypo mania things. Wife says other wise though.

Anybody else have docs that seem to switch label or not label at all? For me I don't care either way on what I have. I just want a foundation so I can move forward. With no label it just makes me think I'm screwed up, broken, and it's my fault. Ive tried not to be depressed, but it never works. Sorry for the long post
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

by AvantGarde » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

Yep.. I was diagnosed with a bunch of stuff before bipolar.. I kinda went to my current pdoc and talked for more than an hour and in the end she said "Definitely bipolar". Then we found out I have childhood trauma, there isn't an exact dx in the books for the causes of childhood trauma in mental health besides PTSD, so my dx is currently bipolar with PTSD, OCD and GAD. Before that I had borderline pd, paranoid schizophrenia and later schizoaffective disorder.

About tdoc of yours, do you like his approach or you do you think you would prefer something else? I know for me that approach wouldn't work at all. Unfortunately praying and working don't cure illnesses, absolutely sure of that. I would prefer a more down to earth, based on actual neuroscience work with tdoc.

Pdocs are scientists that perform the art of diagnosing, it isn't easy at all, because there isn't a one-size-fits-all box to put us in, most of us have similar patterns but we're all different. That's where research fails a bit in my opinion, it doesn't really account for variables such as misdiagnosis, episodical symptoms, and other stuff. Good research takes those issues into account, but it's difficult to find. But I'm rambling just to say that in fact there's a lot of issues with the mental health field, we shouldn't be too glued to it, just try to live the best we can with what we got and strive for better.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 am

Hi 50.......

No offense to anyone's faith, but jmo you need a new tdoc....

However my tdoc is a Christian doc and doesn't believe in the labels and with work you can be cured.

At this point in time there is no cure for bp.......we can become stable with the right meds and therapy, but no cure.

I read your intro and you've been through a lot. I hope you'll stick around....we're a pretty supportive community.... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 am

I have not done so before so I shall do it here and now....Welcome to the forum.

Both my doc's are consistent with the diagnosis of BP. I would have to say I would be shopping around for a new tdoc. Because that type of therapy would not work for me. As for the pdoc I would confront him about what he said about your mood. If you believe you were manic then you need to let him know. You have to be proactive about your care...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Duckysmom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 am

I have to agree with the others. You need a new tdoc. I have lost friendships based on the fact that they were adamant that I could just pray it away, God would heal me if I just had enough faith. I have friends of verious faiths that are so glad I am doing all the right things to get stable and stay that way. My own tdoc is Jewish. I only know that because when making an appt she mentioned she couldn't do a certain day because of a Jewish holiday, but she has never once brought up her faith in our appts. She certainly wouldn't tell me I can be cured.

As of now, there is no cure for BP. Period.

As for your pdoc, I would press the point. Your pdoc should believe youband your wife. I think your wife's opinion and observations are very valid. She lives with you. And we don't always recognize our own symptoms until we have learned how to and what to do when the symptons creep up on us, which should be part of your therapy. You won't get that with someone who doesn't believe in your "label" and thinks you can be "cured".

You are not broken or at fault. It is an illness. But you can be stable with the right help. With your cyrrent tdoc, I don't think that's going to help. And maybe you need a new pdoc as well. This one obviously doesn't trust what you have to say. Mine would welcome my input, ask me questions, trust me when I tell him I am up or down or in a mixed state and adjust my meds accordingly. Trust has to go both ways. I trust him, he trusts me.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by 50calty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:30 am

Thank-you guys for your support and insight on this. I will call first thing this week to get into a new tdoc. Also on my next pdoc appt I will try to talk to him again and nail down this diagnosis. I remember my first appt he said I was BiPolar 2. I know he was partially side tracked this last visit. It was my first visit back from the pward and he was making sure I understood everything with Lithium. But thats also the problem right now. My pdoc and tdoc have no communication with each other. Minus what I tell them. It would be nice to have both doctors communicate with each other.
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

Return to Newly Diagnosed