Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Damage Control Dilemma at college

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by BiBiGirl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Hey guys :) ,
So I was diagnosed with Bipolar II Disorder in March and didn't share it with many people outside of immediate family and close friends. Before my diagnosis, I had a lot of college acquaintances who were very creeped out by my hypomanic episodes as I said and did things I would never do in a normal state of mind. :shock: It's a small school, so gossip travels fast. I go back in three weeks for sophomore year and I can't decide whether to lay low, or go around explaining my strange behavior and advocating for myself. In your experience, is it better to explain-ia your mania, or leave well enough alone and hope for the best? :?
Having bipolar disorder means waking up and not knowing whether Tigger or Eeyore will be making decisions for you
BiBiGirl

by Spm24 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:30 pm

In my experience it has been that it was better for me to leave well enough alone. If anyone asks and you can tell they are genuinely concerned you might consider telling them. But for me I only told a person here and there what caused my actions. The rest didn't even seem to care what happened so they weren't worth telling...but that's just my opinion....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:56 pm

I tell everyone, and make sure to tell them it's nothing to be embarassed about. It doesn't make you different or is it a reason to hide. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Appropriate disclaimer: You might have other consequences, but keeping it in the shadows will have other consequences, such as allowing people to use it as a weapon against you.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by libellula » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:22 am

Difficult question: maybe only if they would ask you about it, then you could explain them this disorder
libellula

by Mocha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:57 am

BiBi, you're right.....it is a dilemma..........I know you're at the age where these types of things can really mean a lot now.

Do you have anyone there that you can really trust? Someone you were really close to? Not just 'acquaintances', but a real friend? If so, maybe you could open up to them and let them know what's going on, but the gossips you don't owe a thing.

At that age, they're just the 'mean girls' mostly anyway. imo, you would just be giving them more ammunition. Screw that.

You'll figure out who you can trust, even if it's like Shawn said.....maybe it's just a couple of people to start with. Don't feel as though you have to announce it to the whole school right away. This is your personal business. Give yourself time to come to terms with it.

Bibi, I can't remember......are you in therapy? It would be a great place to help you deal with this too......

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by BiBiGirl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Great suggestions everyone, I will take that into consideration when I make my decision. To answer your questions, Mocha: I've lost a lot of people lately, but the girl I'm rooming with this year is really trustworthy. We lost touch after some drama but got back as friends. There's also a few I've met in classes or from freshman orientation that have stuck around.
I'm new to therapy and not sure if I like my tdoc completely, but we've been making progress in the more recent sessions.
Having bipolar disorder means waking up and not knowing whether Tigger or Eeyore will be making decisions for you
BiBiGirl

Return to Newly Diagnosed