Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Diagnosed Today

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by digger969 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm not sure where to start. I'm glad I found this group. Today I was diagnosed as bipolar type 2. I see my Dr next Friday to change my medication. I've been on depression medication for a long time but sometimes it doesn't seem to do anything for me. In the last 3 months I've lost 45 pounds, I cry over nothing, I rage at silly stuff. I'm sick on my stomach most morning before work and the least bit of stress makes me want to quit my job and go home where I just want to stay. I have moments of panic when my work pager goes off. Most days I have almost zero good thoughts. I've decided not to tell anyone in my family yet. So you are the only ones that know other than my Dr and the Psychologist I saw today.
digger969

by Pancake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Welcome digger.

I hope this means there's some light at the end of the tunnel for you (:

I spent 20years on the misdiagnosed with depression merry-go-cycle. ADs at best did nothing but give me side effects, at worst made me manic. Getting properly diagnosed and on appropriate meds made a world of difference.

Do you see/plan to see a therapist as well?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Spm24 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 pm

digger969,

Welcome to the forum you will find many caring and compassionate people here. We are a non judgemental group here.

It is good that you have a diagnosis from where you can work from. Now you can work on getting meds right that can help with your situation at this time. To get you to a stable point in the future..
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by digger969 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, though I have mixed feelings about the diagnosis, I am optimistic that we can get most of me under control :-). After about 15 minutes of research, I can't believe how close Bipolar 2 symptoms mirror my own life. Yes, I hope to keep seeing the person I saw today. I have an appointment with him in a month.
digger969

by hal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

"After about 15 minutes of research, I can't believe how close Bipolar 2 symptoms mirror my own life."

Amazing, isn't it? I had the same experience as Pan, treated for depression for a long time, ineffectively, but then with the correct diagnosis, seeing how right it was. That gave me some hope that, knowing the diagnosis, the docs would give me more appropriate meds. Bipolar can't be cured, but it can definitely be controlled.

Welcome, digger!
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome, Digget969. Glad you finally got the right dx. I started having problems in my childhood, got worse in my teens, misdiagnosed for many years. Finally, properly dxd almost 11 years ago and I'm 53. The dx was a relief for me. Was it for you?

Getting on the right meds or cocktail of meds can be frustrating and difficult, or easy and quick. Don't give up and be patient. I hope your trip on the med-go-round is a smooth one.

Do you have a therapist? It takes a good pdoc (psychiatrist), the right meds and a good tdoc (therapist) to manage this thing.

Best wishes.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by digger969 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Duckysmom wrote:Welcome, Digget969. Glad you finally got the right dx. I started having problems in my childhood, got worse in my teens, misdiagnosed for many years. Finally, properly dxd almost 11 years ago and I'm 53. The dx was a relief for me. Was it for you?

Getting on the right meds or cocktail of meds can be frustrating and difficult, or easy and quick. Don't give up and be patient. I hope your trip on the med-go-round is a smooth one.

Do you have a therapist? It takes a good pdoc (psychiatrist), the right meds and a good tdoc (therapist) to manage this thing.

Best wishes.

Thank you. I've been on one antidepressant or another since i was in my early 20's. I'm 48 now. The only thing I have at the moment is my Primary care physician and a psychologist which I saw today so I've still got a long row to hoe. As someone mentioned earlier, There's a light at the end of the tunnel but for a long time there was none.
digger969

by Mocha » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi again, Digger.......I was also mis dx'd with depression all my life. Wasn't correctly dx'd with BP until I was 40.

It was a huge relief to me to get the BP dx for sure.

Welcome to the site..... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Pancake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Pancake wrote:misdiagnosed

hal wrote:me too

Duckysmom wrote:misdiagnosed for many years

Mocha wrote:I was also mis dx'd with depression

It's almost like there's a theme here....

Unfortunately Digger, all to common :roll:
Would like to hear some more about your story. You already see a psychologist? How is that going for you?

In my country, 'digger' has a special meaning. How did you choose your username?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Welcome, misdiagnosed here too :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by lawrence82 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 pm

I was misdiagnosed for the longest time as well. But getting the right diagnosis means you are on the right path to getting the right treatment.
lawrence82

by libellula » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 am

Welcome on board!
libellula

by digger969 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Pancake wrote:
Pancake wrote:misdiagnosed

hal wrote:me too

Duckysmom wrote:misdiagnosed for many years

Mocha wrote:I was also mis dx'd with depression

It's almost like there's a theme here....

Unfortunately Digger, all to common :roll:
Would like to hear some more about your story. You already see a psychologist? How is that going for you?

In my country, 'digger' has a special meaning. How did you choose your username?

My misdiagnosis is mostly my fault. In the past I've had weeks of depression but by the time I got to my PCP, I felt better. My reply to him would be something like, I get depressed sometimes. I didn't want him to up my meds for several reasons, one I work in IT and the one I was on at the time made me so foggy and surely I could cope with my issues with the medication I had. Plus I see people who are far worse off than me and they seem to make it through life just fine. I should be able to also. I did ask a time or two about seeing a psychologist for my periods of tearfulness. Thinking that I could develop some type of coping mechanism to keep me from breaking down and humiliating myself at times when I couldn't get somewhere or put it off til i was in the car. He gave me his card several times but I never followed up. I knew I couldn't make it through the meeting without breaking down, I've always hated that about myself. I've kept myself out of those situations as best I could all my life.

So this last time, like I mentioned before, I had lost 45 lbs in about 3 months and I was having issues just making it through the day. I didn't go to him for depression, I went because I was having chest pains. I was concerned I had cancer or some underlying condition that had been affecting my appetite, thyroid maybe, and once the chest pains started I made an appointment. All my blood work was fine and ekg showed normal. He talked to me about new stresses, I admitted I was a bit stressed. We made a follow up appointment for the week after next.

I decided during those two weeks that I was going to asked him to up my depression medication, I take Citalopram 40mg. So as I knew I would, I hardly even got it out of my mouth before I fell apart in his office. He was very understanding, He said he wanted me to see a psychologist that he sees and get his opinion. He called and made the appointment for me while we sat there in his office. The psychologist's is going to speak with my Dr and make some recommendations as far as medications. That appointment is next Friday. So for the time being I'm coping with my Bipolar diagnosis. Which sometime seems ok and sometimes seems terrible.

Digger comes from two things. First my ex-wife loved roses so we had several rose gardens and I worked in them a lot. We went to rose shows and I even competed in several. Secondly, I've always been a computer nerd and use to love digging around the internet for information on what ever my interests were at the moment. This was many many years ago. Around that same time, I needed a log in name for something so I just chose digger. Its stuck with me.

I hope that reads ok and I haven't put too many to sleep :-)
digger969

by Spm24 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm

You have a very understanding doctor. But you should go and see a psychiatrist that has a better grasp on the medication aspect of dealing with bipolar. I have a great doctor as well and at first I thought she could handle it all and I would not need to see a pdoc. But after some pushing from members here along with a dark period of time I went and found a pdoc. Who has helped with my med increases and additions. Which I think would have overwhelmed my regular doctor.

You didn't put anyone to sleep :shock: I have posted a lot dryer information then this.... ;) Was nice to learn a bit about you through the choice of your name...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

Return to Newly Diagnosed