Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Gout

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by gobipuba » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 pm

My wife is newly diagnosed with BP and in Inpatient hospitalization to stabilize and start lithium therapy. There are so many unanswered questions, but one mystery to me is that my wife had a strange case of gout this year before the manic episode. She is in shape, eats correctly, does not drink, or have any dietary habits that would lead to gout. I saw some studies that lithium used to be used for gout, and that some studies show that there is a link between high levels of uric acid and bipolar. Anyone have similar experience or have any information? Thanks
gobipuba

by Spm24 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:00 pm

I have never heard of that but I have not went searching for it. Not sure if any members have any experience or read or heard anything about this. But if they have I am sure they will share...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by robinred » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:34 am

I also suffer from Gout and my first couple of experiences with it , big toe and then knee joint were all most unbearable. Its someone that can be easily treated with alupurinol , but be aware it goes away , you think your cured then it jumps out at you with a vengence , and the pain feeling is awful , do not wait for this stage just get medicated.

You mentioned eating well , its not really a case of eating well its learning the foods to avoid eating , two of the worst are shellfish and alcohol.

However since I have been on alupurinol I have not had a your attack for around 5 years , it really is a good medication.

Also be aware that certain medications such as water tablets can cause your your to flare up.
Riding the BiPolar wave...........
robinred

by Mocha » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm

gobipuba, I have no idea....I'm not familiar with gout or the meds used to treat it. I did read that Li was used for it back in the 19th century.

You probably should talk to your wife/s pdoc and gp about this. Someone who understand Li and gout.

And btw.......welcome to BPS....... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Newly Diagnosed