Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Hypomania

Ask questions! Share your worries and fears.

by Jemane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:38 pm

So my doctor and husband are telling me I'm hypomanic (I'm bipolar 2, diagnosed last year) but I'm having trouble believing that just because I'm enjoying life that this is pathological. It's actually a great relief after being depressed for so long. Anyone else feel like this?
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Pancake » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Jemane, welcome.

I always thought my hypomanic episodes were just what every body else got to have as their normal. Smarter, quicker thinking, more creative, but also more wrapped up in myself to the exclusion of things (or people) happening around me. I guess that's part of why BP and BP2 can be difficult to get a diagnosis sometimes, people don't really seek help for feeling like the best version of themselves.

Do your dr and husband have any particular concerns about your hypomanic behaviour, or are they just pointing it out? Do you see a psychiatrist? Psychologist? Take any medication?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Jemane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:36 pm

I have seen a psychiatrist for 2 years, initially for depression which is had for several years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 1 year ago but had a very clear hypo manic episode earlier this year where I didn't sleep, did a huge amount of exercise, had a few grandiose ideas etc. I then became very depressed and was admitted to hospital. I'm on 5 different meds but recently started feeling fantastic and didn't sleep as well. I suppose I did buy a lot of clothes, but sometimes I do that when I'm down anyway. Maybe I'm just lacking insight but I don't want anytime I feel good for everyone to instantly believe I'm hypomanic.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Mocha » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:59 am

Jemane wrote:So my doctor and husband are telling me I'm hypomanic (I'm bipolar 2, diagnosed last year) but I'm having trouble believing that just because I'm enjoying life that this is pathological. It's actually a great relief after being depressed for so long. Anyone else feel like this?

.....but recently started feeling fantastic and didn't sleep as well. I suppose I did buy a lot of clothes, but sometimes I do that when I'm down anyway. Maybe I'm just lacking insight but I don't want anytime I feel good for everyone to instantly believe I'm hypomanic.

Hi, Jemane and welcome.

I can understand what a relief it must be to feel this way after being depressed for so long.We all get that for sure.... :)

That said.......if your pdoc and husband are telling you that you're acting like you're headed into hypomania you probably should listen. You described feeling euphoric, not sleeping and shopping more than usual.

You should listen to them. Most of us are grateful to the people in our life who tell us when we're 'slippin'....when it's time to 'check ourselves'.

In fact one of my mods and I were just talking about this very thing. Sometimes we can't always see where our moods are headed, but others can.

That said.....no it doesn't mean everytime you feel 'good' you're going into an episode. Not at all. That's when we have to depend on our loved ones/docs to tell the difference. Then as we learn more about our illness and how we cycle......we depend on our own judgement to know the difference.

Are you in therapy? If not, it sure would help you with this sort of thing.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by hal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:49 pm

With the enhanced perceptions, quicker mind, and stronger, more focused energy I experience, I have often thought that (hypo)mania is a more advanced state of human being. Maybe that is why it has survived in the gene pool. It is a gift. Trouble is, this part of mania not only doesn't last, it turns sour or bitter even before lapsing into depression. And that is a very heavy price to pay. Still, a lot of very brilliant things have been achieved under the influence.

But maybe the biggest deception we pull on ourselves is to believe this is the "real" me. Yes, it is, but so is the rest.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Jemane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Yes, I think you are right. It is easy to feel like the hypo mania is the 'real' me and I think when I am depressed I am striving to try and be that person but feel so bad because I fail.
When I'm depressed I just can't function at that high energy level and can't sustain the large number of commitments I've made when I'm hypomanic.
I am having weekly psychotherapy with my pdoc at present.
when I feel good, it just feels like it will last forever, but I'm starting to be convinced that this isn't 'normal' and my mood might come right down although I'm staying optimistic.
Jemane

by BillyGoat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:40 am

Gday Jemane, and welcome to bps.

Hypomania has, overall, been a destructive force in my life, so I would never invite it in, nor try to 'ride its wave' for a while either. Having learned how I behave under its influence, that bastard gets smacked down as soon as I notice or get told about it.

Hope you enjoy the site.
---------
Bleat

Billy
BillyGoat
Site Admin

by Jemane » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:46 am

So I thought I wasn't hypomanic anymore but my doctor still thinks I'm high. I'm listening to him, taking my meds and having early nights/taking it easy. I guess I'm feeling sad that what I thought was normal is likely still pathological and I feel like he was trying to make me accept that I'll mostly be low for the rest of my life. I feel this is very hard to take.
Jemane

by Mocha » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:33 am

Jemane, maybe he wasn't saying that. If he was I don't see how he could know. Our moods can improve...stabilize. You can't give up hope.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Mocha
Site Admin

by JustJace2u » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Even though I only got my official diagnosis of BP2 a few weeks ago I already feel like I may be headed (or already am) to hypomania land. I've not been sleeping much, but yet I wake up as if I got a full night of rest. I've been real jittery. Feeling happier than I have in quite some time. A friend of mine who lives in a separate states, who's a psychologist, suggested I start a journal. I may give it a try, but I remember trying when I was younger and then got bored, so I stopped. Don't get me wrong, I love the happy feeling, but being 'new' to all of this I'm afraid of what might happen next. I picture what my aunt has gone through with her BP and it scares the bejeezus outta me.

Sorry for the long post :-/
JustJace2u

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 am

Good thread, I wish I knew the difference between hypomania and mania :/ I think I can recognize my mania, thousands gone or needing to be paid off, giving everything away, trying to do everything, solve every problem, be the best I can be.

What's hypomania like?
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:40 am

Sometimes it's just the intensity, hypomania is "calmer", in it's limits, and not psychotic.. while mania usually has the grandiosity theme attached to it.

My hypos I just get giddy and talkative, wanting to do stuff and write books. In mania I think I'm hilarious, the queen of smarts and the best writer ever, along side with discovering the secrets of the universe because obviously we're divine.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:21 am

AvantGarde wrote:Sometimes it's just the intensity, hypomania is "calmer", in it's limits, and not psychotic.. while mania usually has the grandiosity theme attached to it.

My hypos I just get giddy and talkative, wanting to do stuff and write books. In mania I think I'm hilarious, the queen of smarts and the best writer ever, alongside with discovering the secrets of the universe because obviously, we're divine.

All of that together sounds like what I thought was mania, and I went through all of that a bit ago; I have to start tracking that crap :/ I'm experiencing my first medicated, coherent, & stable 'period', now. So, let's figure this out...

Which is it? Mania or Hypomania:
1. Taking on projects that go nowhere. Spending increases to start these projects? MANIC
2. Secrets of the universe = MANIC
3. Attempting to solve everyone's problems = MANIC
4. Happy about being alive, happy with everyone, cooking, cleaning, going out to do things, some spending, but within limits = HYPOMANIC?
5. Shit happens, just learn everything you can because you still have the opportunity to do anything that you want to do. <- me now, so MEDICATED

EDIT: if cooking, cleaning, and going out is hypomanic, then my 'period' is way fking short LOL Like 2 weeks?
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am

Perfectly possible, mine are usually shorter than that.

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am

Jemane wrote:So my doctor and husband are telling me I'm hypomanic (I'm bipolar 2, diagnosed last year) but I'm having trouble believing that just because I'm enjoying life that this is pathological. It's actually a great relief after being depressed for so long. Anyone else feel like this?

C'mon Jemane, you have to explain your symptoms so I can diagnose you, using my own experiences XD

I have to say, I really appreciate each of you that participate and each of you that lurk until you're drawn to post a response. I get lost in other forums, I don't identify with most threads because the focus is venting and not discussing on a personal level. And the ONE local therapy group, their discussion group is hella aggressive :/
Lisa

by Mocha » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 am

Oh, I def know the difference and I could sure use a little hypo now.....:lol:......My house needs a thorough cleaning, from top to bottom. Although I did catch up on all my laundry yesterday.....something I've been putting off. I haven't been hypo for quite some time, seems my meds have been putting a damper on that.....sigh.

With hypomania, I don't get the talking fast, etc.......I just have the energy to get things done I've been putting off.

Now mania is a different animal.......and how. I used to make terrible decisions.......the worst ever. Like getting married to perfect strangers I had only known for a matter of weeks or less, moving all around the country with no thought of the consequences, taking chances of getting in trouble with the law and somehow only did once, I'll never know how. That led to a four month bid in a state mental hospital instead of a 9 month bid in prison.

Sleeping with anyone who looked hot and some who didn't, which led to a high risk of STDs and eventally did.... :shock: .....

Pressured speech........psychosis....Was sure I knew the meaning of life, and was convinced no one else did....only me....that went on for several months...:roll:

Mocha
Site Admin

by dubious66 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 am

Threw in my thoughts parenthetically in your response below. (Forewarning: I decided I was not going to be committed to English sentence structure today.)

Lisa wrote:
Which is it? Mania or Hypomania:
1. Taking on projects that go nowhere. Spending increases to start these projects? MANIC. (dub: Hypo for me. When a job has been quit and state lines have been crossed to pursue crap without any qualifications or ability in the area and spending causes serious long term problems - More manicy)
2. Secrets of the universe = MANIC (dub: manicy...recognizing how everything in the universe is intertwined. Nature is amazing!!! Hypo)
3. Attempting to solve everyone's problems = MANIC (dub: hypo for me..when I am pretty sure that I have the solutions to the world's problems (e.g., international conflicts) antd consider/start sharing my profound insights with folks in power - more manicy. Knew I was maybe headed for trouble when I started talking (apparently quite adamantly) about military strategy and folks looked at me like I was nuts. Oh, and I am a pacifist by nature typically but I was sure I could take care of our persistent state of apprehension. After all, I used to win Risk. That doesn't make me qualified????)
4. Happy about being alive, happy with everyone, cooking, cleaning, going out to do things, some spending, but within limits = HYPOMANIC? (dub: Normal to hypo. Hypo can also become more irritable, low(er) patience. Finding myself on a different continent, having sex with someone I just met who didn't speak English and I didn't speak their language - more manicy)
5. Shit happens, just learn everything you can because you still have the opportunity to do anything that you want to do. <- me now, so MEDICATED

Hypomania - I may find slightly energizing and either entertaining or irritating. Slightly more amazed by my brilliance and annoyed by others'stupidity. Harder for me to identify. Others have hinted (stated) that my "typical" may actually be hypo. (I have had terms thrown at me like "effervescent" (I am not 7-Up!) and joyful when I am feeling like Eeyore.) Oh, and knowing when my typical "on-the-table," no nonsense, and direct approach crosses into true bitchy, intimidating, and harshly judgmental is harder for me to recognize. I may tend to characterize that as normal "there is shit to do and we don't have time to waste." Added: increased sexual interest but decisions are not ridiculously outlandish.

Manicy - as I mentioned, different continents; sex with strangers or not (worse(?)); police involvement; incredible productivity; more drinking; talking incessantly and still not keeping up with the amazing, world-changing thoughts; long term financial consequences; paranoia makes an appearance eith all of its splendid consequences(?); hyper sensory (able to hear bugs crawling); lack of sleep until my body literally crashes in on itself; etc. Followed by immobilizing crashes. Completely atypical. Afterwards, there is clearly no doubt about what had happened.

So, I don't have an issue differentiating between hypo and mania. I have a harder time differentiating between hypo and "normal" or on the flip side, minor depression and "normal." I think maybe my range of acceptable may be wider than some other folks', but the extremes are clearly out-of-the-ordinary experiences, few and far between, and leaving major damage with long term consequences in their wake.

And when mixed and/or rapid cycling, apparently I look for stranger support on online forums, once a decade it appears. ;)

But then again, BP? Really?

dub
dubious66

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am

It's funny how it changes for everyone... I've done more stupid long term money decisions hypomanic that I did manic. Sex with strangers also in hypomania. Lots of sexual need in both though, manic I just thought they were all beneath me :lol: :roll:

AvantGarde

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

Yeah, mania sucks, I see that now... I don't think about that period of time often enough. Seeing it out there in the open is quite a shock to the system. Been there, done that, Mocha... tried to forget I had, I guess.

Dub, I used to think that the mania was magnificent, but I'm understanding the differences in hypomania & mania, They both kinda scare me now & I'd thought that I was a bit manic when posting to all of these threads, but then I'm done and can move on. So, I get the normalcy/hypo crossover... it's all a bit tiring, but I think our best option is to understand it as best we can :/
Lisa

by Jemane » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Wow, my first ever post here. Brings back a lot of memories.

When I’m hyponanic I-
Have amazing libido
Clean up the whole house and get fixated on activities so that I don’t need much sleep
Don’t sleep much and go for walks in the middle of the night
Research getting a tattoo (which I don’t want when I’m not hypomanic)
Dance around the lounge room with the kids to loud music till they beg me that they want to go to sleep
Cook up a storm in the kitchen
Book in for 10 or more running races etc etc
I’ve never been psychotic. I’ve bordered on manic but never actually been fully manic.

Does that describe how it is for you?
Jemane

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Jemane, that sounds magnificent =] The most magical of lives =] Except waking the kids to dance. You dance after dinner & homework =] Maybe I shouldn't say this, but wow, what a mom! LMAO!

The cooking, cleaning, dancing, walks, a tattoo - that was me... a couple of times these last 2 years :/ I really liked being so hopeful, satisfied, and industrious. I used to call that my 'worker bee' mode, good in the workforce.

Sorry about finding an old post <3 The title interested me, I needed verification and it's quite a good topic! Plus, it's quite nice to follow behind someone else's 'wrecks' and recognize my future options =] I owe you one!
Lisa

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Dubious66 wrote:hyper sensory (able to hear bugs crawling)

No WAY! I keep thinking that some mania must be like a Pink Floyd LSD trip.

Dubious66 wrote:And when mixed and/or rapid cycling, apparently I look for stranger support on online forums, once a decade it appears. ;)

Well, it's good to have you around =] Sucks that you're only around every decade. I'll be 60 the next time you come around :lol:

Yeah, someone else was rapid cycling recently, it was a very good thread, made the hair stand up on my arms and neck LOL
Lisa

by Jemane » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:04 pm

I don’t mind resurrecting an old post. It’s interesting as I’ve just been through a hypomanic couple of weeks and it’s funny to compare it to 18 months ago.
I actually feel really happy at the moment and I’m loving life. But I don’t have any red flags. Saw pdoc today and he was like, I think I better see you next week so I wonder if he thinks I’m still a bit up.
Jemane

by cottontail » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Lisa

You made me laugh when I am totally manic I give away everything. When I was totally psychotic I ended up with one dress and one pair of shoes ....
cottontail

by Lisa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm

cottontail wrote:Lisa

You made me laugh when I am totally manic I give away everything. When I was totally psychotic I ended up with one dress and one pair of shoes ....

I must not have been psychotic before because I always have more stuff, I'm like a hoarder... my ex and pseudo-son did an intervention and took a bunch of my stuff :/ Lots of shoes... a lot of boots. Man, I wish I'd kept a pair of boots. I have to check, the garage =]

Now, explain how you are psychotic, please cottontail. It's still a very scary word :/ I think I remember that it's believing things that are not true, even though they really could be but Einstein we are not :/

I just had a thought... late in the evening, I think my meds are wearing out and I feel a bit manic, or hypomanic... just a little giddy. Not paranoid for sure. It's the meds... I was feeling like a hypochondriac =]
Lisa

Next

Return to Newly Diagnosed