Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Anyone else have neighbors from hell?

Are you on that last little nerve? Need to get something off your chest?

Here's the place to do it. Vent away!

by james1992 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Ever since we moved into the house we're renting, our neighbor has been pushing boundaries. It started when she let her four dogs walk outside without a leash and one of them came right up to our screen door and started barking at us. Bear in mind that since we live in a condominium, there are rules laid out, and the rules say that you are only allowed one pet per unit.

I live with my mom, and she and my neighbor got into a screaming match. The issue with the dogs persisted for a while until the neighbor finally took the hint and put those animals on a leash, but she's had it out for us ever since.

Before she took the hint, we had to report that her dogs were off the leash because one time they surrounded my mom as she was walking out to start her car. They also jumped at our car as we pulled in the driveway once. In retaliation, she threw coffee at our window. After we reported the problem to the police, she came over to "apologize" and told us it had just been an accident. We decided to leave it alone to put an end to the argument.

Things were fine for a little while after that until we made what to us was an innocent mistake. There were some ratty looking plants in front of our window. Where they were planted was ambiguous because we live in adjoining units, so we had thought they were on our side and they didn't look very good. Therefore we pulled them by mistake, only to find out from her they were lavenders that she had planted. We tried to apologize, but she stormed off in a huff, allegedly complained to the board of the condo association AND the police, and started banging on the walls in spurts of rage, hardly a proportional reaction to the pulling of plants that would cost something like $20 to replace and that she hadn't been taking very good care of to begin with.

Now we think something else is happening. We're looking to buy from our landlord the unit we're renting, and all of a sudden we've started to notice scratches on our car that we just started leasing brand new last year. The marks look like they might have been made by a key, and it looks like there have been two separate times where a handful of scratches were made. We cannot prove that she is the one doing that, but the timing is odd and it is certainly within the realm of possibility given her history.

Anyway, with my rant over, I guess I'm just wondering now if anyone else has had neighbors from hell, and I especially want to know if anyone has been able to resolve their issues with said neighbors. I hate living in fear of what she'll do next. It's making me hesitate on what otherwise is a very sound purchase on a good home, and it's irritating a mood already made volatile by my bipolar disorder.

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
james1992

by AvantGarde » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

I've had bad neighbours in my life but nothing like this :? Sorry you're going through that.

I was here thinking and honestly have no ideas, hopefully someone else more brainy than I am at the moment comes along and provides with useful info.

If I remember something I'll come back.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 pm

I've never had neighbours like that. We had a fence dispute with one neighbour years ago but fortunately nothing since.
The issue for you is quite big as it is a safety issue (given the dogs).
In Australia we would call the local council if there was an issue like this happening. Do you have anything like this in your area?
The only problem is that reporting the dog issue will exacerbate the neighbour issue even more, but you have a right to your safety.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by MochaAdmin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:16 am

Hi, James.......you weren't kidding when you said you had neighbors from hell.....oy fucking very........what a fucking bitch...... :evil:

I don't know if you live in the US or not, but some places have leash laws.

You could also put up security cameras maybe when she's not at home. Especially if she's keying your car/s.......and god knows what else.

And then there's always Restraining Orders.

I know you guys really like where you live and had hopes of buying, but is it seriously worth it to live next to this psycho bitch from hell? This will only escalate, especially if she knows you guys will be her permanent neighbors. It may become downright dangerous as in physical harm. Obviously she's not stable and there's no telling what she's capable of doing.

To me, it comes down to can you live like this from now on....under this much stress and fear.......or would it be better to find a more peaceful place to live.

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by james1992 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 am

We've had security cameras for a while, and like I said, I'm not sure if she was keying our car. I feel like she will toe the line even if she is just barely toeing the line.

We usually just ignore each other, this handful of incidents has been over the course of 14 months, so a few bad days in 14 months is really not so bad. I appreciate everyone's concern, but I don't think I'm in actual harm. We'll see what is happening with the car soon, it hasn't been touched in a few days.

We will have more power when it comes to reporting any issues once we directly own the house, and a restraining order certainly isn't off the table. I think it will be okay but I'll keep you posted.
"A vivid imagination is awesome. A manic imagination is a curse."
-Stanley Victor Paskavich
james1992

by james1992 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:58 am

Recent update, I talked to my tdoc about the issue with my neighbor and another issue related to fear of being attacked by dogs. The conclusion we came to is that I've been dealing with trauma and these symptoms are evident of PTSD. This actually helps me feel better knowing there's a name for what I'm feeling, and I'll be working with my tdoc on these issues using EMDR.
james1992

by AvantGarde » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:03 am

Was the trauma inflicted by your neighbor or previous? Just curious, not judging or attempting to dismiss the diagnosis.

Good luck with trauma therapy, let us know how it goes :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by james1992 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Oh it's for sure this neighbor, but it might be more because of her annoying as shit dogs. Dogs seem to be a trigger for me. I'll see if I can figure more of it out.
james1992

by 50calty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:51 pm

I had a neighbor like that in the past. Ended up selling our house and moving because of it. I knew that no matter what I did, she wasn't going to change. The whole thing just kept triggering me left and right. The problem with neighbors is that you can't pick them. Its always a gamble. I wish you the best and hopefully it gets better.
Surv;vor ~ My Story Isn't Over Yet
50calty

Return to Rant & Vent to Your Heart's Content!