Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Prince - RIP (1958–2016)

What are you listening to today?

by Mocha » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Today we lost an amazing artist. There was no one else like him, and he will be missed. But we'll always have his music. Many of us grew up with his music and it will always remind us of those special times in our lives.

He was never afraid to be different...one of things I admired most about him.

RIP Prince....your music and courage to be who you were will always live on.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Some of my favorite Prince's classics......enjoy...and maybe post some of your favorites....

Little Red Corvette

When Doves Cry

Purple Rain

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by BillyGoat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Mocha wrote:Today we lost an amazing artist. There was no one else like him, and he will be missed. But we'll always have his music. Many of us grew up with his music and it will always remind us of those special times in our lives.

He was never afraid to be different...one of things I admired most about him.

RIP Prince....your music and courage to be who you were will always live on.

Amen to that.
---------
Bleat

Billy
BillyGoat
Site Admin

by Polrus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:29 pm

I can't believe you're already talking about this, I was considering a post. I was so upset when I heard. It felt really personal. Prince was like a mentor to me, his philosophy, his positivity, he got me the so many hard times over so many years. I felt like no one understood my grief, he was just some famous guy they seemed to think, an abstraction, not really a person. I had to hide my feelings, because I thought they thought I had no right to them. I thought the mixture of grief and denial and implied derision was going to tip me over to the dark side. Thankfully it didn't, I watched a live video of sign o the times and graffiti bridge back to back after everyone went to bed and quietly released my anguish then. I'm so glad (in a not glad way) to discover this thread. Again this forum shows me I'm not alone. Thanks.

Favorites - too many to mention, my mind boggles, I want to say EVERYTHING! but right now I feel When The Doves Cry is really appropriate.
Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.

Macbeth
Polrus

by Pancake » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Pol do you know how devastated the world was when Robin Williams died? O Captain, my Captain. Perhaps those you feel are judging you for a being a bit too intense over Prince are just too young to appreciate him and/or have not had their horizons broadened by enough diverse music to understand just how much his music and identity have influenced people.

I don't normally involve in these discussions because it can trigger me quite badly, but you're definitely not alone and it's not just us 'crazies' that feel this way, no matter what your depthless buddies think. Just judge them right back for being fans of formula-manufactured auto-tuned 'musicians' or something if they don't get it :)
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Polrus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Go girl! I'm stoked by your response. I love it. And incidentally I was pretty blue over Robin Williams too, but I didn't 'know' him as well as I know Prince. Another light goes out in the world. David Bowie, I cried for him too. So many, too many. Now I'm sad again, but your fire really lifted me there. :)

Macbeth
Polrus

by Mocha » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:25 am

Polrus.....it's ok to be sad.....but don't let it trigger you. Like Pan said so many people feel the same way......it's a 'normal' thing, not just us nutjobs.

You should have seen my world when John Lennon died in 1980. We were all stunned. It was a loss and it's ok to grieve your loss.

But again.....don't let it pull you all the way down.....celebrate his music, put some tunes on, turn up the volume and enjoy...... :)

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Polrus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks, Mocha, you're absolutely right. I did that blasting the tunes thing on the day it happened and it helped get me thru. I should've kept doing it because if there was one person in the world who would've said simply and softly, with a smile in his eyes, 'don't be sad,' and got thru to me, it would've been Prince. So I'm gonna let him, I'm going to sing it along with him in my out of tune voice :D

Macbeth
Polrus

by emily12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:40 am

i hate to say it, but in terms of celebrities dying, 2016's not been a good year

bowie, wogan, prince, alan rickman, and that's just scratching the surface
emily12

Return to Catraoine's Music Forum