Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Favorite piano pieces?

What are you listening to today?

by Steponme » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm trying to prepare for school next month, so I'm looking for the right piece to practice this semester. Last year I worked on Sonata in D Major by Haydn, and Liebestraum No. 3 by Liszt.

I love the romantic style and the composers Rachmaninoff, Liszt, and Chopin. If you guys have any piano pieces you guys like (regardless of the composer or style), I would love to hear some suggestions.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by hal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Steponme wrote:I'm trying to prepare for school next month, so I'm looking for the right piece to practice this semester. Last year I worked on Sonata in D Major by Haydn, and Liebestraum No. 3 by Liszt.

I love the romantic style and the composers Rachmaninoff, Liszt, and Chopin. If you guys have any piano pieces you guys like (regardless of the composer or style), I would love to hear some suggestions.
I'd say go with one of your favorites, or, have a look at Mozart. He has some of the loveliest piano concertos (if you can bring along an orchestra, haha), or how about a delightful sonatina?
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by libellula » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:49 am

Ciao Steponme!

Do you know Maurizio Pollini? If not I warmly reccomend you: here he is with Beethoven Appasionata nr 3

Enjoy it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCiFZvjfuU
libellula

by hal » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 am

-- Tennyson
hal

by libellula » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 am

hal wrote:
Steponme wrote:I'm trying to prepare for school next month, so I'm looking for the right piece to practice this semester. Last year I worked on Sonata in D Major by Haydn, and Liebestraum No. 3 by Liszt.

I'd say go with one of your favorites, or, have a look at Mozart. He has some of the loveliest piano concertos (if you can bring along an orchestra, haha), or how about a delightful sonatina?

Hal, I'd like to share with you and Steponme this Mozart's sonata by Friedrich Gulda. I hope it will delight you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPaLcBD79L4
libellula

by hal » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 am

This is a lovely piece, masterfully played. I just love Mozart. Thank you, l. One of the best days of my many trips was in Salzburg, where we saw Mozart's birthplace: just an ordinary building, but special nonetheless. I liked the cafe where he spent time, and also the castle on the hill (not sure if he ever went there 8-) ).
-- Tennyson
hal

by Steponme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Love Mozart. I've never played a sonata before because I've always stuck with short and tough pieces. Guess I should broaden my horizon a bit :D
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by Jemane » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 am

I play a lot of Beethoven on piano and love his sonatas. I also love Rachmaninov.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by libellula » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:33 am

Hi Jemane,

what do you like to play of Rachmaninov? I don't know his works very well, so it's an opportunity for me to hear something new.
libellula

by libellula » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:04 am

hal wrote:This is a lovely piece, masterfully played. I just love Mozart. Thank you, l. One of the best days of my many trips was in Salzburg, where we saw Mozart's birthplace: just an ordinary building, but special nonetheless. I liked the cafe where he spent time, and also the castle on the hill (not sure if he ever went there 8-) ).

I studied in Wien for a long time. I love Austria sometimes more than Italy! I also visited Salzburg (just 4 hrs by car from my hometown) and I perfectly remember the castle. Hal, sure you have eaten the famous Mozartkugeln? (Mozart's balls)
libellula

by hal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 am

libellula wrote:
hal wrote:Hal, sure you have eaten the famous Mozartkugeln? (Mozart's balls)
No... I didn't know about that.

I had really looked forward to Vienna, but that day, and the following, when we were to visit the Schönbrunn Palace, I was stricken with the "mystery illness" that afflicted me for about six months. So what I saw of Vienna was in a fog.

Several doctors couldn't get to the bottom of of the mystery illness. Finally, one suggested a medication review, and the pharmacy discovered it was due to the side effects of a drug I took for a movement disorder.

I hold this against the neurologist; didn't like her anyway. She arrogantly said it could't be neurological, but she should have been familiar with the drug, ropinerole.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Jemane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am

I used to play a couple of Rachmaninoff preludes but I can't remember which one as I'm not home at the moment to check. I don't play much anymore unfortunately. I think having kids got in the way.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

Return to Catraoine's Music Forum