Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

RIP - Catraoine 1951 - 2015

by Mocha » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 pm

It's with great sadness that that we, the Staff at BPS, must inform you all that our beloved Catraoine has passed suddenly from a complication of lung cancer.

She is survived by two amazing sons.

Cat was diagnosed last September with Stage 4 squamous cell lung cancer. I know I was misleading in my previous post about her, but she didn't want anyone to know, and I had to honor her wishes then, as I have since September.

She was an amazing woman, and my dearest friend for ten years. I have to admit I'm feeling lost without her right now.

But as Hum and I were saying yesterday, it feels as though she's still here. In fact, I feel as though she's looking over my shoulder as I'm writing this. She loved BPS and cared about so many of you.

If you have any questions, or just need to talk, please post on this thread or write to us. We realize this is upsetting news, not easy to hear.

Also, if anyone has a "Cat" story, please post that here too. She would have loved that. As many of you know, the woman had the most wicked sense of humor, and that's an understatement.

To everyone.........I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mocha
Mocha
Site Admin

by Ruby » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

I am so sad for the loss of Cat. She was very loved by so many and leaves a legacy and memory to be proud of. My heart goes to all who are hurting and missing her.
Ruby
Ruby

by RedRover » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:59 pm

I am devastated at the loss of Cat. She was an anchor when I first came here, was first diagnosed. She was a model, an example of how I could be, and that was more that ok. She was solid as a rock, and saucy at the same time. She exuded character, and comfort too. She gave us a lot. and for that, I'll always be thankful.
RedRover

by butterflymoon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:29 pm

I remember when I first joined, back in 2007 I believe, and she was so nice and welcoming.
I loved her sense of humor and her wisdom. She had been there, done that....and knew when and how to say something.
She had this music thread in here "what are you listening to" and even when I wasn't doing well, I could go to that thread and get lost in it. She usually found time to respond.
She is missed for sure.
RIP Cat
butterflymoon

by Humboldt » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:29 am

Oh god dammit!!!!! this is just awful. I can't even process this. I don't want to believe this.

Cat you were just the best. Admittedly it took me a while to understand you and oh in the beginning you'd fire me up!!! But I grew to love and respect you so much.

Wherever you are I know you are stirring the pot, gliding and keeping that world way interesting.

You taught me things through your gentle yet firm prodding (haha prod, Cat! ).

Your brain was amazing to me. You were practical, analytical, brilliant, open minded, multi faceted. The balance you brought to this board, a balance that will be severely missed.

All the work you did in the music world was a mind blower!!

I think we should all only say feck on this board in your honor.

You helped me study my tough problems when I was getting my electrical license and I could tell you liked it -and that you were proud of me when I succeeded. Even though your specialty was fairy power you knew all about my end of the electrical game!

Thank you for the PMs about my frustrations of being sick. I feel awful that you talked with me about all that and I didn't even know you were suffering.

Thank you for everything you did on this board. I know it was a lot. Also, ty for bailing me out of my simple and idiotic tech problems that must have left you shaking your head!

I promise to never say plane or airplane the rest of my life for you. There will only be aircraft forever. I promise to make proper paragraphs and I will try to do less run on sentences.

I laugh at how many years it took you to understand what the words I'd write back then even meant!!

I know there will be Cat stories forever that keep you alive in our hearts.

They broke the mold with you and we cannot get that back. But we can hold you in our hearts and feel happy we were able to know someone as special as you.

Fly those astral planes Cat!

Love forever n always.
My jekyll doesn't hyde
Humboldt

by lawrence82 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. Cat was great and gave me some really great advice and support when I needed it. She will be missed.
lawrence82

by miraclegiraffe » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm so devastated to hear this. Cat pulled me out of my shell when I was still a teenager, so something like a 10 year range. She taught me how to reach inside and find the part of me that was still brave. She taught me how to navigate unhealthy relationships and how to get out of them. She was there when I was sexually assaulted repeatedly. When I did stupid things and had to recover from them. When scary things happened, she taught me how to love and to forgive.

I was prtypnkfairy back then. She loved to read what I had written. She and I always traded fairy sparkles and that was a special code with us. Fairies were our thing. They were special and careful and had wings that we both longed for. I loved that I could always make her laugh.

I will miss you, Cat. Love you forever.

I am sure I have funny or good Cat stories that will pop up as I process. I'll be back when they come up!
miraclegiraffe

by rollercoaster » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

I'll miss Cat.

No...I miss Cat. Not something to do in the future. My pain is real and it is now.

Hard to find words when something you take for granted will always be and no longer is. BPS without Cat? Just hard for me to wrap my head around that.

Hum stated:
Your brain was amazing to me. You were practical, analytical, brilliant, open minded, multifaceted. The balance you brought to this board, a balance that will be severely missed.

Cannot imagine a more telling assessment. She meant a lot to us. She meant a lot to me. Perhaps it was that whatever connection we had was enhanced by the overlapping of careers. We both had been in various aspects of broadcasting. We could talk shop. But the charm was rooted in her "stiff upper lip" British resolve in the face of the significant life challenges she faced every day.

Her ability to not only deal with her challenges but to offer support and sage advice to others served as lessons to me on how to approach our BP without it consuming us. I'm grateful for those lessons. In my dark times I've felt her gentle kick in the arse that was appropriate...and needed.

Cat really loved flying. With motors and without. That love, which is nicely summed up by a quote from Leonardo Da Vinci:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

With failing health this pleasure was denied but in the end I like to think Catraoine got her wish to return to the heavens. Do a couple of Immelmanns for me...

RC
Et tu...bipolar?
rollercoaster

by hal » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Can't say much because of a temporary visual condition, but Cat is unforgettable. She helped us keep high standards here in many ways. She responded to our concerns far more than she ever complained about her own troubles. A tech genius, and she was amazing with music!
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Paco » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Wow...What a loss to the physical world. So many people have commented on so many different aspects of Cat's contributions. I had been coming to BPS for a time before interacting a whole lot with Cat. It wasn't until I started skydiving that we found common ground. Flying is flying. Cat listened when you needed it and told you how it was the rest of the time. I truly admired her.
Paco

by Moon_Pie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 pm

What a tremendous loss for all of us here. Cat helped me so much over the years I've been a part of this site. I will miss her dearly.
Moon_Pie

by clare_hart » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Oh Cat. I also never knew you were so ill.

I wish I had known you longer, but the time I did, was rewarding and made me laugh or just feel better. I hope the utube songs will keep coming.

I can see how much you were loved on this site. You are a superb spirit and one which shall be sorely missed, but like Mocha said, you will always be here looking over the forum, clucking at us, laughing with us, rewarding us with your advice and suggestions, rapping us on the head if necessary!

You're an angel now; you always have been. Spread those "aircraft" wings (right hum?) and protect us all. A little embrace, a kiss on the forehead, and a pat on the back. Thank you.
clare_hart

by gruvhip » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:36 am

Catraoine was a valued member of our community and provided amazing support and comfort to our members. She was always there to greet new members with open arms and was able to see the real person. She was also very instrumental in assisting Mocha with helping keep our forums safe and our Bipolarsupport.org community a vibrant one. God Bless her. She will be sorely missed.
gruvhip
Site Admin

by siafu77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 am

Cat was my friend. Always there for a chat, a question, an answer, a riddle, or a story.

Even when she was troubled she put on a brave face for us. Most of whom she never physically saw or even heard their voice.

That's love. Real honest love.

Her and I were able to discuss all sorts of technical issues, have fun poking at the latest version of Linux, and just commiserate over stuff.

I think I'm still in shock or just haven't had time to fully sit down and process it all. I love(d) my friend and I will truly miss her and the glue that she brought here.

I can hear Tonks now beying in grief.

Rest easy now Cat.
I am The Ant
siafu77

by Caroline » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Fly with the Angels now Catrione.
I am me. Voices in my head, quiet down.
Caroline

by SJ_ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 pm

OMG I'm so sorry to hear this news!

RIP Cat...you will be missed...
SJ_

by merola » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Cat. I haven't been around in a while but I'm glad Mocha let me know.

Cat was a constant support around here. I saw a lot people on the old site benefit greatly from her advice, wisdom and direction. She knew how to keep peeps focused on helping just about any situation we were in. She will be missed. I'm sorry to all you for her loss.

May the blessing of her spirit always shine on BPS.
merola

by BillyGoat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:03 am

Nooooooo!!!!!!

Bloody hell, Cat, what you go and do that for?

And don't tell me you're not reading this, cos I know you are.

I still remember the sound of your voice on the audio clip you sent me when you were having the speech therapy - a bit scratchy, and certainly lacking in confidence (to be expected that early on in the process) but still kinda intriguing, like a BBC newsreader not wearing pants.

You held my hand when I was grieving, told me to pull my head in when I got outta line, turned me on to some amazing music, and, most of all, made me laugh til I cried.

Hope you're having fun kickin it up there with some of the Python crew, just go easy on them, there's no way they could keep up with you.

Miss you girl. You were one of the good ones...
---------
Bleat

Billy
BillyGoat
Site Admin

by emily12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:01 am

very sad news.

rip kat.

what disturbs me more than anything, is the music forum still has her name as the title (and though i can understand that's what she would have wanted), a lot of us are sad right now, and don't need to be reminded (triggered) by seeing her name

just my thoughts
emily12

by Mocha » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:06 pm

BG, I sent you a pm about Cat.....sorry it didn't get to you before you saw this.

And actually this was just part of a very long thread with posts from all the old time members from our old board. You would have loved it, as Cat would have. Such an outpouring of love and respect. and some laughter to go with the typical 'Cat' stories, who wasn't typical at all..... far from it as you know..... :lol:

Unfortunately, this site automatically pruned some of the older threads all on it's own and we lost this one. I can access it another way, and hopefully I can help you with that.

BTW, I know you're right........she's always around watching......

emily....

I'm sorry it disturbs you, but you didn't know Cat, and you don't know us all that well.

Cat was also Admin here for almost ten years, (and also my dearest friend), and the one who came up with the idea for a Music Forum, particularly the What Are You Listening To Today Thread. It was the longest running thread on the old site, from 2005-2014.
It gives us comfort to see her name there.

After she passed, we changed the name of the Music Forum to Catraoine's Music Forum to honor her.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Paco » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Thank you Mocha. The music forum is the first place I talked to Cat and i definitely think of her when I read posts on it. Pink Floyd....and so on.
Paco

by Mocha » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:31 am

Paco wrote:Thank you Mocha. The music forum is the first place I talked to Cat and i definitely think of her when I read posts on it. Pink Floyd....and so on.

No prob, Paco.....and oh yeah, I do remember when she would post Pink Floyd....how could we forget.... :)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by BillyGoat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 am

Gday Paco.

How's it going?
---------
Bleat

Billy
BillyGoat
Site Admin

by Mocha » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 am

It's been two years, Cat and we're thinking of you......You are truly missed....... :) .

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Site News