Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Mocha Site Admin & Co-Founder

by Mocha » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi everyone......A little intro for those who don't know me, I'm Mocha, Admin and Co-Founder of BPS.

Our original site was founded in June, 2004. We started with a small 'black board', but soon grew in a few months to our next big 'blue board'. After ten years that board crashed and burned, and we've been with this board since June, 2014. And here we are in 2017. We've always been a Pro Med and Therapy site and that hasn't changed.

It's been an amazing journey, and so many wonderful people have come and gone. Just the way of things. People came into our lives and we learned from them, and hopefully they learned from us. We hope they left here stronger, and we were usually stronger for knowing them and sharing this journey called Bipolar.

As for me, I started showing signs of BP at a very young age. But back in the day no one knew anything about it or mental illness. I had my first full blown mania at sixteen. My parents sent me to therapists then....for all the good it did. Saw my first psychiatrist at age 21. That's when I was diagnosed with depression and put on all kinds of antidepressants which didn't help at all. And was diagnosed with depression for the next twenty years. I was hospitalized three times during those years but each time they said it was just depression.

I knew something was wrong with me all my life. I self medicated with booze and drugs beginning at age 13. To put it bluntly, I was a drunk most of my adult life. And used whatever drugs were available. Anything to kill the pain. It cost me everything that ever meant anything to me, even my kids. But now I've been off the sauce for 17 years......18yrs, this coming New Years Eve.

Then finally at age 40 I was correctly diagnosed. I cried with relief because I finally understood what my life had been about. But just getting the correct diagnosis was only the beginning....that's when the true work began. Therapy and meds......intense therapy. I had a pretty fucked up life that didn't happen overnight, wasn't going to take a few sessions to resolve all my issues. But at least I had an answer and it was worth it.

Personal facts:.....I'm very involved in politics, love nothing more to hang out with my young friends and enjoy lively debates. But these days we are more than a little concerned about the state of the union.

I'm a supporter of medical marijuana, live in a state where it's been legal for over 20yrs, voted recreational last November. I'm also very active in organizations who are fighting to save our planet, and an advocate for the LGBTQ community.

And last but not least, I love all kinds of music (usually rock, blues and jazz).... just depends on my mood....... .:)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Meet Our Staff