Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

School this year :)

School and Bipolar Disorder? How do you do it? Please share your experiences, your victories, and even your disappointmens. We understand how hard it must be from high school to college to grad school. Hope you can share with us and find the support you need.

by CuppCake0529 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

I was diagnosed in February of 2014. It's taken my 8 different medications (Lexapro (they thought it was post partum first), Abilify (taken off because studies show and can induce mania), Wellbutrin, temazepam, seroquel, klonopin, zyprexa, and finally Lamictal,

I started college in 2016 after I was medically retired from the U.S.Army. I finally found a doctor that I LOVE and he moved to a new position. With finals coming up I was SO nervous like "great now I have to find someone new who may not have as much experience with bipolar 1. I'm in a nuclear medicine program which is great, I have fun but sometimes it's like, Ooo squirrel! My new doctor thinks I should apply for disability at my school so that when I'm manic I can have more time for tests when I'm distracted. So far I have over 3.0 GPA so I don't feel like I need it but I also want to comply so that I have a safety net I guess...

Sorry this is so long. What do you think?
CuppCake0529

by Pancake » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Disability will get you consideration if you need it. You don't have to use it if you don't need it. You could always *wait and see*, but if you hit a rough patch it can get harder to deal with everything/anything you might have to do to set it up.

Welcome (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Steponme » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:27 pm

I got lots of accommodations for school. half of which I didn't use, but it was nice to have that support if I needed it.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by Jeffernation » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 am

Definitely register with the disability office at your school. Take the extra time on tests; it gives you the opportunity to relax more, even if you don't feel like you need it. Also, you should be given a quiet place to take tests, which many people find makes them easier and more pleasant, including myself.
Ambition is a good servant but a bad master.
~unknown
Jeffernation

Return to Student Forum