Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Dropping out

School and Bipolar Disorder? How do you do it? Please share your experiences, your victories, and even your disappointmens. We understand how hard it must be from high school to college to grad school. Hope you can share with us and find the support you need.

by Steponme » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Tomorrow I am formally withdrawing from school. I just can't handle it. After missing weeks of school there is no way to catch up. I've mostly experienced depression, but a few days ago I was manic and ran around my neighborhood naked. It was fun.

I've decided that doing online school would be the best for me. There is a program my church has that let's you do your generals online for a really cheap price, and after you finish it you can go to BYU Idaho online. BYU Idaho online has quite a lot of degrees you can choose from. I believe this will be a lot more flexible for me instead of stressing out to get up to show up to a class. I can get school done in my own pace.

Hopefully dropping out of school will alleviate some stress and help my moods. My medication was working great before school started, so I'm hoping it will work again.

I'm worried about telling people close to me because I don't think they will react well to the news. I think they will be disappointed because I'm basically throwing away my scholarship.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by hal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:59 pm

You do what you gotta do, Step. Is there a counselor you can talk with?
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Steponme » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 pm

hal wrote:You do what you gotta do, Step. Is there a counselor you can talk with?

I do have a counselor. They are going to go over the entire process with me and help me see if this is the best choice fore me.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by Spm24 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

As half said you have to do what is best for you. You don't need to worry about what others say. Put yourself at the forefront, you and your health.. Good luck on which ever direction you choose to follow...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Lisa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Could you go to your Student Counseling Service, ask to get a year off for medical reasons, take incompletes on the classes. And finally, check the libraries and maybe the student success center [interviews, job fairs, mentors] for tutors. Bake them cookies, seek their aid. Take online classes, use those classes to keep your scholarship.

If your friends let you run around the neighborhood naked, I wouldn't care what they thought of you dropping out. Go to those you trust with your life, ask them if they can help you get through it. They'll be there for you as you are for them.
Lisa

by Lisa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Lisa wrote:Could you go to your Student Counseling Service, ask to get a year off for medical reasons, take incompletes on the classes, and check the libraries and maybe the student success center [interviews, job fairs, mentors] for tutors? Bake them cookies, seek their aid. Take online classes, use those classes to keep your scholarship.

If your friends let you run around the neighborhood naked, I wouldn't care what they thought of you dropping out. Go to those you trust with your life, ask them if they can help you get through it. They'll be there for you as you are for them.
Lisa

by dubious66 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Step,

I wrote an extremely long post but decided it sounded way too preachy; so instead, good luck thinking this through with your family, friends and therapist(s).

dub
dubious66

by Lovehope » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I had to take a semester off. Was scared I would never go back but I did. Online at first, then part time on campus, then eventually a full course load. You will figure out what works for you. It is a sign if strength to be able to step back and say "whoa, this is too much, I need to slow down" instead of continuing to drown yourself for prides sake. You're making a great decision and I applaud you for it
Lovehope

by Steponme » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Lisa wrote:Could you go to your Student Counseling Service, ask to get a year off for medical reasons, take incompletes on the classes. And finally, check the libraries and maybe the student success center [interviews, job fairs, mentors] for tutors. Bake them cookies, seek their aid. Take online classes, use those classes to keep your scholarship.

I just came back from a medical leave and started again in Fall. If I took another leave of absence, I'd lose my scholarship and not be able to pay for school anyway. I was told by a professor that if I drop out now, I'll get incompletes on my transcript instead of fails. Thank you for the input.

Also, thanks everyone. It's nice to have a second family I can bounce ideas off of and get support.
Steponme

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm so sorry it didn't work out, Step.. I know how excited you were before starting.

I'm going to do online as well, way safer that way. I think it's a very good idea, nothing wrong about that. You're not quitting, just taking a different route more aligned with your current situation.
And if you stabilize in the future you can always try and go back to a campus environment and do it like you'd like to be doing it now.

A big hug
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Elijah » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 pm

You're not alone. I too had to withdraw from school even though I had a full scholarship.

I then tried online classes several times. Unfortunately, I only lasted a couple of weeks before I crashed again. But we all function differently, so I really hope it works for you. Just don't get your hopes up too high, because it can trigger a major episode if things don't turn out the way you planned.

Keep me posted.
Elijah

by Steponme » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Elijah wrote:You're not alone. I too had to withdraw from school even though I had a full scholarship.

I then tried online classes several times. Unfortunately, I only lasted a couple of weeks before I crashed again. But we all function differently, so I really hope it works for you. Just don't get your hopes up too high, because it can trigger a major episode if things don't turn out the way you planned.

Keep me posted.

I officially withdrew from school today, and though I still feel like crap, it's like a load has been lifted off my shoulders.
Steponme

by Spm24 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 am

It hard on you I can imagine. Many thoughts running through your head at this moment. But it has to be a weight off of you. Now you can work on yourself. Getting on stable ground....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Mocha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

Hey Step......just wanted to check in and see how you're doing.

My son is doing online and working. It's worked out for him just fine. Just thought I'd throw that out there........ :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Elijah » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 pm

I felt exactly the same way. It was horrible because I knew all the potential I had and yet I was so glad it was over. Over time my number of absences increased, and I got to the point where I couldn’t handle sitting in a class for hours on end anymore; the same happened with homework and studying. I couldn’t focus nor concentrate.

Again, you’re not alone. It was extremely hard for me to accept the situation. I felt worthless, like I wouldn’t amount to anything. But today I realize that you don’t need a college degree as quickly as possible to become successful. Actually, we can be successful without a college degree; it doesn’t define who we are and what we’re capable of. Yes it’s tougher for us, but it’s not impossible. No matter how many times we fall down, we gotta keep the hope alive, it’s our destiny.

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to hit me up.
Elijah

Return to Student Forum