Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

How school is going!

School and Bipolar Disorder? How do you do it? Please share your experiences, your victories, and even your disappointmens. We understand how hard it must be from high school to college to grad school. Hope you can share with us and find the support you need.

by Steponme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:09 pm

After going on medical leave for BP1, I was scared to go back to school. Especially because I haven't quite found the right mix of meds. I was relatively stable for a month until school started. Once I began my classes I experienced rapid cycling and some psychosis. Kind of hard to pay attention in class when there are voices telling you to rob a bank xD

I was getting help from a therapist and psychiatrist, but I wasn't taking advantage of the disability office. My best friend's dad, (a second father to me) works in the disability office and encouraged me to set up a meeting. I didn't realize I was eligible for accommodations, so I never thought to go in.

After meeting with the person in charge, I now have access to personal tutors, note takers for my classes, excused absences, audio recordings, and extended homework and project deadlines. This is more than I'll probably ever need to succeed in school, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

I'm slowly starting to adjust to school. Even though my moods aren't stable, they are much more manageable than they used to be. Hopefully I'll feel a lot better with a small adjustment to my meds.

By the way, the amount of practice I'm supposed to do for piano is killing me. I love it and hate it at the same time. That's the life of a music major though, so I better get used to it!
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by Spm24 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

It is nice to hear that school is going better for you once you started taking advantage of the disability accommodations. I can imagine that it takes a lot of practice when it is your major.

Hope things keep going good for you....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 pm

That's actually pretty great, minus the rapid cycling with psychosis.

Wish you the best :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Duckysmom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:00 am

So happy for you that you were able to get accommodations! I hope the moods stabilize soon.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mom2dani » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm

That is awesome to hear. Good luck to you
Xoxo
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by Pancake » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Support is good! Takes some of the pressure off.

I hope things otherwise improve for you soon though.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

Return to Student Forum