Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

I can't do it

School and Bipolar Disorder? How do you do it? Please share your experiences, your victories, and even your disappointmens. We understand how hard it must be from high school to college to grad school. Hope you can share with us and find the support you need.

by Snowflake » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm

I am a sophomore in college and just got diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about two months ago. I've been struggling with it quite a bit and not sure where to turn. I am also dyslexic and have a hard enough time with school, let alone emotional issues. I am so far failing a class I need to graduate and don't know if I should drop out. Being here has made me stress so much more than at home. It's been a long and painful time so far and I hate it. I hate what being here dose to me. But I don't want to quit, I don't want to give up because it's hard. When does pride become harmful? Should I try and make this whole college thing work and risk doing what I've been doing (harmful things) or give up and let this get the better of me?

I'm so confused and lost and no one seems to understand. I just don't know what to do anymore.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little un-well. I know, right now you can't tell. But stay a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me."
Snowflake

by Jemane » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi snowflake,
Sounds like a tough situation for you.
Do you have a tdoc (therapist) you can talk these things over with? Sounds like a difficult decision.
I don't think pushing on the face of adversity is always a bad thing. I had to push through my uni degree with a baby and being in a cult that told me I had to quit but I somehow pushed through and did it anyway.
If it's affecting your mental health you need a good therapist and a good doctor to stabilise you on medication.
Is it possible to delay that subject until next semester or something like that?
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Spm24 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Snowflake,

Just getting the diagnosis is hard plus throw in being dyslexic has to be even harder on you..
Do you see a pdoc? How about a tdoc? Are you on medication​?
I would not give up on college. I think it is worth fighting for.
It does get easier trust me. It just takes time, patience, proper medication and therapy..
As jemane suggested maybe take that subject at a later date...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Mocha » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Snowflake, have you ever looked into Academic Accommodations with the ADA.....Americans with Disabilities Act?

That's if you're in the US, of course.

You would def be eligible with bp & dyslexia.

Also, you mentioned it's the one class you need to graduate that's causing the most probs. I can't remember the process, but I do know some of our other students have been in your exact situation. They have had to drop a class (or two) and pick it up later. Not drop out of school completely.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 am

Welcome, snowflake. I can imagine how hard it must be to have BP, especially just diagnosed, on top of dyslexia and trying to study and do well in classes at the same time, it's terrifying just to think about it.

Generally there are special accomodations for people with mental health issues in college, all over the world. It's something you should take advantage of, if you haven't already.

Also, with just being dxd BP I can imagine you are overwhelmed with what it means for your life. It's not that big of a deal if you manage it with meds and therapy, it becomes a secondary thing.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Snowflake » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 am

I am seeing a councilor and it's helped some. I am also going to start meds over the summer. I can't drop the class because I need the credit hours. I'm just trying to hang on.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little un-well. I know, right now you can't tell. But stay a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me."
Snowflake

by Mocha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

Snowflake wrote:I am seeing a councilor and it's helped some. I am also going to start meds over the summer. I can't drop the class because I need the credit hours. I'm just trying to hang on.

I'm glad to hear you have a therapist to turn to. That has to help a lot. And so will the meds when find the ones that work.

You can hold on...I just know it. You don't have much longer. And you can always come here for support, ok? We get it and we'll be here for you..... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Steponme » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Hey, I understand how difficult it is to deal with school and bipolar. I'm eighteen and my first semester in college I got diagnosed with bipolar 1 after a lot of stuff happened.

Luckily, I was able to work with the counseling center the school offered and they helped me a lot. It got to the point where I simply couldn't function, so I made the decision to go on medical leave so I could find the right medication and get better.

Does your school have a counseling center? Also, you might be able to go on medical leave if you have a recommendation from your doctor along with some other paperwork. It would allow you to pause your schoolwork so you can take care of yourself without missing out on your education.

I would suggest talking with your psychiatrist and academic adviser to explore your options.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by shorn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:29 am

Hi Snowflake! I'm new to the forum, but your post really got to me. I'm in my final semester of university and just got diagnosed fairly recently, and holding on has been really tough. I decided that I'm going to finish this semester no matter what, though, so I wrote and spoke with all of my professors asking for some lenience in terms of attendance and the like. I obviously have no idea what your profs are like, but if you're comfortable with it, maybe you can let them know what's going on so you can worry a little less about class?

Sorry, I'm new to this whole talking to others about this thing, but everyone keeps telling me it isn't the end of the world if I graduate a little later than planned (and I will have to now). I'm glad you can see a therapist, and I hope that you can have a little for yourself to rest.
shorn

Return to Student Forum