Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Overwhelmed

School and Bipolar Disorder? How do you do it? Please share your experiences, your victories, and even your disappointmens. We understand how hard it must be from high school to college to grad school. Hope you can share with us and find the support you need.

by farfromnormal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:57 pm

It's the end of the semester and those overwhelming feelings are creeping back in. I have a quiz tomorrow, then a test thursday, then a project and 2 assignments I am struggling with finding the motivation to accomplish all of these things. I feel like everything I am trying to learn is in greek or some other language I cannot seem to absorb any information which is just frustrating me even more. I don't know what to do. I have a practice take home test and I can't seem to figure it out. I can't seem to figure out what one of my papers is suppose to be on, I have to read even more papers since I have to write a summary essentially but don't know what to write so I don't know what is important plus it feels as if I'm reading a foreign language. Then I have a powerpoint that I'm stuck on and the professor is out of town until wednesday, so I have to wait on that. Plus I have to continue working on my thesis project which seems to be a freaking disaster, luckily i have a meeting about that tomorrow. I am just so overwhelmed and when I get like this I just want to crawl into a hole and not do anything at all. :/ :( Plus things "ended" with the guy I was seeing though there was no closure we just stopped talking out of the blue, and I am not going to be the one to bend first, i know childish and stubborn but it is who I am. I just want to not feel this way,
"Cause some days I think I'm dying but I'm really only trying to get through for just another day.."- Next to Normal
farfromnormal

by AvantGarde » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:04 am

This season is always hard, don't beat yourself up.

Do you have a counselour that can help through the period, or make accomodations for you to be able to take it easy, one step at a time?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Almy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:16 am

I can remember how it was at the end of the semester trying to get everything done. I can relate to your description of everything sounding like it's in another language.
My brain fog is SO bad sometimes.
Do you have peers, classmates or a study group that could help with the questions you are having until your professor is back? Maybe it would also help with your other assignments. I find that sometimes when I've been going at something for too long, it helps to get fresh eyes/ brainpower of someone else.

AvantGarde is right, this season is tough and so is school!!
Hang in there, you've got this :)
Almy

by Mocha » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 am

ffn!....good to hear from you..... :)
well, not under these circumstances, but good nonetheless.

Almy and AG gave you good advice. Would any of it work for you?

I remember the grad school/thesis days from a couple of people in my life. It's tough as hell, and that's an understatement. But I also know how smart you are, and how hard you worked to get there. I have complete faith in you ffn. Take a break.....breathe. let your eyes rest, your mind clear for a while. Take a nap if you need it. Then you can come back with a fresh look/approach.

PS: Just a little advice from an old lady. I wouldn't spend time worrying about that person, atm. Put that on that backburner for now. You need to prioritize. You can deal with that later....... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by farfromnormal » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for the support guys. I had therapy today and talked to my therapist about all of it and it was a really good session. This time of year is always tough for me, i came home from my meeting with my advisers and took a 2 hour nap and now i'm finally starting to feel a little better. I'm going to study with some people tomorrow after classes and I am gonna take tonight to just really just accept my feelings of where I am and just let myself be for tonight then start fresh in the morning. I think it is for the best because if I look at it now and if it still doesn't make sense to me I will only become more frustrated and I'll be starting all over again.

On a side note: Is it just me or does everyone have different types of depression, I have depression where I am just overall miserable and angry and want to cry and scream and just want to be done with everything. Then there is the type of depression i'm fighting now i call it my "turtle depression" where I have no motivation, no energy all i want to do is hide in my shell and just isolate myself.

And I'm trying to focus on school it's just tough because it this time of year when I realize how alone I really am. My brother and his husband are doing Christmas at their new house before they come to my sister and sister in law's house to do presents and then I spend NYE with my best friend who now has a kid and engaged so it just weigh on me a little more heavily at this time of year.

And really thank you all so much for your support it means the world to me.
"Cause some days I think I'm dying but I'm really only trying to get through for just another day.."- Next to Normal
farfromnormal

by Pancake » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:23 pm

On a side note: Is it just me or does everyone have different types of depression, I have depression where I am just overall miserable and angry and want to cry and scream and just want to be done with everything. Then there is the type of depression i'm fighting now i call it my "turtle depression" where I have no motivation, no energy all i want to do is hide in my shell and just isolate myself.

The short answer is "yes". We're all programmed differently.

But I'm going to confuse you by saying I'm more likely to scream, cry, shout, rage, be overwhelmed, in a mixed episode.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Mocha » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 am

[
You're more than welcome, ffn.....that's what we here for. I'm happy you had a good session today, and getting a good nights sleep night will probably do you wonders...... :)

btw, I've been meaning to start a thread about the holiday blues. I'm glad you brought it up.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Student Forum