Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

online safety

Relax, catch up on old friends, enjoy each other, and whatever else comes to mind! Like having fun!!

by hal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:18 pm

"Malware" means any kind of malicious software, like viruses, spyware, and adware, which we need to protect ourselves from.

What advice do you have? I'll start.

- Don't click on images in emails unless you're sure you know where they came from. Check the From: address to determine who it’s really from. (Malware can hide in images)
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Mocha » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Start with really good antivirus/spyware/malware software.

I use McAfee LiveSafe, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntispyware.

I'm paranoid as hell about where I go and what I do online, very conscious of security issues.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm giving hal's thread a bump because I think it's an important topic.

Anyone else have anything to offer?

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Mocha
Site Admin

by Jemane » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:24 pm

I basically avoid opening anything where u don’t know where it comes from or if a random staff member at work has sent me a google document that looks work related but no ones told me anything about.
I’m pretty careful about what I open.
I’ve never had a virus. Not sure my computer is completely up to date though. Will have to ask my husband.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Mocha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Jemane wrote:I’ve never had a virus. Not sure my computer is completely up to date though. Will have to ask my husband.

I run my scans and check for updates once a week......unless I get a notification letting me know I have new updates before then.

Mocha
Site Admin

by dubious66 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Mocha wrote:

Not me. I am so foolish as to post way too much personal stuff on a public site. ;)
dubious66

by AvantGarde » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:50 pm

My windows defender runs every week, just downloaded something forget the name for the browser but didn't need it yet, will let you know if it's good.

I get emails of companies asking for money and shit like that, I obviously don't click on the links or images.

Friends' emails I also don't open links or images if they don't say they sent it... I ask, if they don't answer I don't open the links.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:04 pm

dubious66 wrote:
Mocha wrote:

Not me. I am so foolish as to post way too much personal stuff on a public site. ;)

:lol:

Mocha
Site Admin

by hal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm

I highly recommend Malwarebytes. It's more than antivirus and (if you pay for the premium version, ~$25/yr, well worth it to me) you get web scanning, which will catch any web pages trying to download stuff. Plus it's recommended by the nerd types. Malwarebytes also sends out a useful newsletter.

Keeping all your software updated is also essential. Especially browsers.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Mocha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 pm

hal wrote:I highly recommend Malwarebytes. It's more than antivirus and (if you pay for the premium version, ~$25/yr, well worth it to me) you get web scanning, which will catch any web pages trying to download stuff.

I def agree, hal........the free version is very good also, if you can't afford the premium.

Mocha
Site Admin

by hal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:00 pm

It's a good idea to delete apps you don't use. Besides saving space, you eliminate any possible monkey business the app may be perpetrating or hosting. It happens: a game might be reporting for ad information) places you go to, for example.

Be careful to pay attention what you give access to, like location.
-- Tennyson
hal

Return to Lounge