Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

How's everyone doing with the holiday season?

Relax, catch up on old friends, enjoy each other, and whatever else comes to mind! Like having fun!!

by Duckysmom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:10 am

We're going to bury him in the garden in the back yard. But it has to stop raining first.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm

It's Dec. 18th......how's everyone doing? Time is getting short, so I thought I would check in. I know some of you were having the holiday blahs.....how are you now?

Hanukkah ends in a couple of days on Wed evening......My goddaughter and I had a nice time. Her family celebrates xmas so she gets the best of both worlds......(or the most presents..:roll:)

We're still planning on going to Midnight Mass on xmas Eve. She's a complete night owl, so no problem with her staying up that late.....lol

But I'm looking forward to New Years Eve the most......it's my favorite...... :D

PS: Ducky, I hope you're feeling better now that you have your new baby bird..... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by dubious66 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Mocha wrote:It's Dec. 18th......how's everyone doing?

Kind of fucked... Time for a 2 week nap? I am sure 2018 will be just joyous :roll:
dubious66

by Jemane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Well...
Christmas tree... tick
50 presents bought and wrapped... tick
Santa clause gifts ready... tick
Food ordered or purchased... tick

Looks like I’m super organised.
I’m doing a bit better now.
I do actually like Christmas although family get together can be interesting...
Just trying to work out how I could possibly do an alcohol free Christmas. When you get together with 100 relatives within 3 days it can be very tricky...
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Not hypo and not depressed, so I'm good :D

I've decided not to spend Christmas Day with my family, will make the excuse that I'm sick with the flu and not go at all. I've thought long and hard about this, and I seriously think we're a nuisance for them, and I prefer not to be that to anyone. My mom thanks god because she's the Grinch. :lol: I'm spending the Day with my mom's friends who are my real family.
I'm seriously relieved, the thought of running around all Christmas day from one place to the next to meet everyone and have multiple lunches and dinners annoys the crap out of me, I get so tired afterwards that I always stay the next day in bed with a people hangover. I got them gifts and will eventually have a Christmas get together, so it's fine really. It was recently (last year) that they decided we should spend Christmas Day with them, this never happened before all my life, why should I have to do it? They insist like hell, that's why we went last year.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Duckysmom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:41 am

I'm doing better. All but 2 gifts bought. Grocery shopping for Christmas dinner tomorrow night. Guess I should put the ornaments on the tree sooner rather than later. Last 2 gifts to be purchased Friday afternoon.

Sunny got out of his cage last night and it was a crazy chase through the house to catch him. And he has his wings clipped so he can't fly! Fast little bugger! We all had a good laugh. I haven't laughed like that in a long time! I think the change in meds is finally working.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Spm24 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 am

Jemane good job having all those thing all ready to go.

AG I know what you mean about not going. It is probably a good choice. I feel like boycotting Christmas day. In laws day so five people are normal. We were going to eat upstairs instead of the basement. But oh no someone decided to invite three other people because they had nowhere to go on the holiday. One accepted. So that makes eight of us.

Now we have to eat in the basement. A big fucking hassle. Because we do breakfast/brunch. Not the easiest thing to keep warm till it is time to eat. Would have been easier upstairs with the oven to keep things warm. I just have this feeling I am going to be in a mood that day. I do not do good when my plans are messed up from how I like them. Plus I don't do good with people I don't know. Now throw in Christmas where we are supposed to be happy.Time outs and everything probably needed.

Ducky sounds like you all had a merry little chase around the house trying to catch Sunny. It's good to be able to laugh. I still have a few presents to pick out too. Sounds like you have it all planned out...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Jemane » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Last work Christmas function ticked off today. Baked for kids end of year class parties (because it’s the end of the school year here in Oz). Now I’m up to the sprint for the finish line.

Ducky, training a bird is such a delight isn’t it. I truly love having birds in my house. I grew up with birds and my first ever brush with death was when my little blue budgie called pippi died. I was utterly devastated. Hope sunny brings you great joy.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Shawn, boycott it! Cold Christmas breakfast/brunch for everyone, that will keep the new invited strangers out of there for coming years! ;)

Or else, look at it from a different perspective, you can make new friends. I'm one of those who gets invited without a place to go, so I appreciate the offer :)

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Pancake » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 pm

I volunteer an "Aussie Christmas". Bbq (or cold meat and seafood, if you're really posh) and salad, divvy up the food responsibility. Nibbles, salad, fruit, byo meat and drinks.

Shorts and thongs* mandatory (;

*flip flops
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Damn, I wanted to bring a pink thong. Fly all the way over there just to show my booty and then come back.

Can't really eat most seafood though, just fish.

AvantGarde

by Pancake » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 am

AvantGarde wrote:Can't really eat most seafood though, just fish.

Cold sliced ham and turkey for me. No-pork-products SIL prefers smoked salmon.
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 am

Love it all!

Thought about making a huge ham for Christmas, but for just me and me mommy it would be too much. So I'm making pork loin, with cranberry sauce and gravy. Some brussel sprouts with bacon on the side, and some roasted chestnuts as per request of said mommy.

We ordered some Portuguese Christmas deep fried sweets that I might have a taste, not sure how I will be handling sugar that day, particularly deep fried. I'll post a pic of them when I get them, one species translated is called "Dreams" :)

AvantGarde

by Pancake » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 am

Chestnuts, yum. I have a tree for those, too :lol:

Your dining plans sound tasty. I'd like to hear more about those desserts....?
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 am

Check them out:

Azevias, deep fried puffy pastry with filling made of chickpea, egg or pumpkin
https://www.google.pt/search?q=azevias+ ... 66&bih=637

Sonhos, the Dreamsy onesy I was talking about, also my favorite, there are two kinds, regular and pumpkin.
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... 1dyaUu-2Rk

Rabanadas, deep fried slices of bread, my second favorite right behind Sonhos.
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... WlUdQc_Jus

Cuscurões
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... LuCGMw9jpo

Not deep fried but regular at Christmasesiesses

"Christmas trunk" lol
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... WmbLs7yaRw

Lampreia de ovos... or "Death by eggs" (not really, but SUGAR HIGH MUCH)
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... qoSctvhtvc

And for last, Broas de Mel... Honey cakesies.
https://www.google.pt/search?biw=1366&b ... cuoRkp0zDE

We only ordered the first two :) Once upon a time, all of this would be at our Christmas table, but I no longer eat sugar and my mom can only handle so much :)

AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 am

It's Tracy's family so there is no way of boycotting it. If I did I would never hear the end of it. Would be in the dog house till next Christmas. I know I will go outside for sometime during the day. I know if she does what I am thinking I will be disappointed. She is going to spend close to a hundred dollars. On breakfast crap. She is buying enough to feed twenty people. She is we can use this to press the burritos so the cheese melts. I'm like why melt the cheese. But what do I know. She's trying to add more to the menu. I just give up. Throwing in the towel.

As to making friends. I highly doubt it. I am not a talker till I have met the person a few times. I guess what aggravates me is the way it was done. Don't ask then say if you won't do it we will just have it at our house (basically the gist of what I was told was said.)

As you can tell I am very animated about the subject. Mainly because my voice is not being heard on these subjects. She is just skipping right over my objections. I am an easy going person. I don't object to much. When I do pay attention to my damn feeling on the subject.

Sorry for hijacking this, making it about me and for ranting...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:22 am

I understand the frustration.. but I'm going to be the Devil's advocate here for a bit.

Tracy has had a rough year, lots of work and her family's issues. I'm sure she's excited about providing a good meal, I know I am (remember you don't care about food, but others do :lol:)... Plus she seems like a perfectionist and homemade melted cheese is indeed muuuuch better :lol:

I do understand that Christmas can be a nuisance when it's with someone else's family and we're not that close to our own, but trust me, it's better when we do stuff we like and make others happy by them doing what they like, instead of Grinching our way all Christmas.

Are you sure you're not just putting your whole other frustrations on Christmas and Tracy? Be careful with that.. it's just a couple of days, then all is packed up until next year.

I was just talking with my neighbour and he doesn't care about Christmas, his father died on Christmas Day so he stopped celebrating.. In fact it can be just a silly tradition for those of us who aren't celebrating Christ's "birth", but it's that time of year when our loved ones like things a certain way.

Btw, I spent 80€ on Christmas food, just for 2... plus stuff for my cookies-gifts... So 100$ it's not that much.

AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 am

Yes Tracy has had a tough year I will agree. I have never minimized that. Put it in the back of my mind yes but it has always been there.

I understand the concept of wanting to provide a good meal. Going over board with the amount gets me. Yeah it is just bowls of ingredients for the burritos but if you make to many eggs they go to waste. The addition she wants to make is not reheatable. So that would all go to waste. I hate wasting food. I hate throwing out failed dinners. I can see food and money being thrown away.

It gets me that she wants to do all this for her family and for the first year we are not taking anything to my parents for their mean. Granted they always say whatever you want if it's nothing so be it. So she has decided to do so this year. What gets me is do for both the same. Yes since we have been together she always took something to her side as well. Till last year when we took it over.

This has been the first Christmas I have been Grinching. I know part of it is outside issues putting their head into Christmas. But most of them over lap with aspects of Christmas. So they go hand in hand.

As you remember I compromised on the tree. Yet my compromise has went the way of the unicorn. We have to have a tree up downstairs because you have to have one where everyone is going to be, you all know my opinion on that topic.

Yes they like it their way but I should not need to bend over backwards for them. Especially when they change things up.

I guess my issue is I don't feel my voice is being heard. Everything I have said has been vetoed. She got mad at me yesterday so I just give up. No point in trying anymore...

Sorry for acting childish, but they are my feelings

Yes you spent some on your meal. You two will enjoy it I am sure.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 am

Ah I get it now, it's not childish... You want your opinions heard, that's valid. :? Sorry for not understanding that in the first place.

Can you manage to tell her that in a calm tone of voice or is she too hyped up over preparations?

AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:16 am

No worries. I probably didn't express myself very well the first time. I tend to do that when I am agitated.

I always tell her things in a calm tone. I very rarely raise my voice. I keep things calm. Even when I am aggravated. She can always tell. I have told her that I would like to be heard. She is to hyped up over the preparations. I think she is trying to please her family this year for some reason.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 am

In that case I will go for hal's motto "Happy wife, happy life" :)

It's just Christmas, Shawn... I'm the one handling everything too. I won't say I won't make mistakes because I probably will.

AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 am

I basically threw up my hands and said I surrender. I am not happy but whatever she wants. I will do my own thing Christmas day. Probably be anti social and let them all have their fun they want.. I know it is only Wednesday but I am over it. Will just go through the motions at both meals.

I am sure you will do just fine AG
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am

Sorry it's been sucky for you Shawn..

AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you AG. Only five more days to have to worry about it. I can grit it out and survive. No matter how bad or ok it might be.

Sorry I had to vent it out or else I would never had said anything anywhere.
Spm24

by Jemane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:20 am

So I’m really not coping with the 100 relatives at my parents house Christmas do tonight. I’ve retreated to a bedroom and I think I’ll have a nap. If anyone finds me, I have a ‘migraine’. Just hoping my husband doesn’t notice I’m gone. I’ve vern lying here for an hour already and no one has even noticed. Just can’t do it tonight.
Jemane

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge