Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

It would be so much easier...

Relax, catch up on old friends, enjoy each other, and whatever else comes to mind! Like having fun!!

by dubious66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 am

to embrace the day if I didn't wake up with my heart beating wrong and my stomach kind of in knots.... No problem, I can start my day with some internal wrangling :roll: All good. I got this.

So what can you do for me? Come up with a word for the opposite of nap (a period of sleeping during the day). I need a word for a period of wakefulness during the night. Looking for something that will sound equally inviting for what visits me way too often. :)

Oh and in case anyone is as confused by days of the week as me, happy Tuesday! At some point early this morning, I thought it was Saturday. Thank goodness it's not. I get to go to work today. Oh yea... hal, about your friend Greg, could you maybe have a talk with him?
dubious66

by hal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 am

In the article, "Did we used to have two sleeps rather than one? Should we again?" < http://theconversation.com/did-we-used- ... gain-57806 > the phenomenon is called variously "segmented sleep," "bi-modal sleep, and "bi-phasic sleep" and is said to have been the norm until the late 19th century. It was considered to be quite refreshing. I had heard of it before and so was easily able to find the article online.

But for us it's frustrating to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep. :( My solution has been to sit down in front of the TV and turn on the most boring program I can find, which usually works, even during hypomania.

Greg? Don't remember a Greg.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by dubious66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 am

I like bimodal distributions. They always make me think of a camel, which causes me to smile. Although after smiling, I then have to cock my head and wonder what the heck caused that. In my line of work, it usually means something is wrong. Cute, but wrong.

I'll check out the article tonight. Perhaps it will provide a convincing argument for shorter sleep at night and a nap during the day. When you have both Mexico and England agreeing on the civilized nature of napping, how could that be wrong?

hal wrote:
Greg? Don't remember a Greg.

Maybe I overestimated your relationship - Pope Gregory
dubious66

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 am

Dubious66 wrote:When you have both Mexico and England agreeing on the civilized nature of napping, how could that be wrong?

And Spain, never forget the siesta. The siesta never forgets you.

Related, but self-absorbed, I fell asleep on my desk just now and woke up almost falling over. Siesta Achievement Unlocked!
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by hal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 am

Me: Greg? Don't remember a Greg.

Dubious66 wrote:Maybe I overestimated your relationship - Pope Gregory

Oh, that Greg. I thought you might be referring to Greg Peck, but I don't know him that well.

I haven't talking to Pope Greg the Great for a long time.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Mocha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

I have the strangest sleep routine ever. Good thing I don't have a job any longer. That wouldn't work at all.....:roll:.....

For example.......lately I've been waking up in time from my afternoon nap to watch Rachel Madow and Lawrence O'Donnell at 6pm/7pm, then napping until the late night talk shows come on..... then staying up the rest of the night/morning. It's about 9:45am my time now, and I still haven't gone to sleep. Although I feel a nap coming on.....I'm getting a little punchy..... :shock:

It's not unusual for me to keep odd hours and I had prefer to stay up all night. It's so peaceful and quiet.......No one else is around.

Siestas are great, especially if you live in a very hot climate. When my 2nd husband and I were construction gypsies, we had a lot of Latinas/Mexicans who worked for us. They never missed their siestas, but then they would work until dark when it was cooler. And worked hard.

I honestly can't see the US taking up the habit of siestas......follks would think it was a sign of laziness.....lol.....

*hal.......You mentioned waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. I've always heard that the worst thing you could do is lay there and try to go back to sleep. If you can't, the best thing, is to just get up and do something, and not talking about watching tv.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 am

Mocha wrote:I honestly can't see the US taking up the habit of siestas......follks would think it was a sign of laziness.....lol.....

Same here in Portugal

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

AvantGarde wrote:
Mocha wrote:I honestly can't see the US taking up the habit of siestas......follks would think it was a sign of laziness.....lol.....

Same here in Portugal

Same here. Fuck em.

Come up with a word for the opposite of nap

The opposite of nap is pan, obviously (;
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Pancake wrote:

:lol: :lol:

*throws a fit for not thinking of that sooner*

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by hal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Mocha, the most effective way for me to deal with sleeplessness, especially when manic, is to go to the easy chair down stairs and turn on the most boring TV program I can find, then lie back and close my eyes. :D I have to stay away from the computer, because it just feeds the mania!
-- Tennyson
hal

by dubious66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm

hal wrote: I have to stay away from the computer, because it just feeds the mania!

Blue light!!! Big no no!

Hate to admit that I violate that rule too often... Disappointed in myself. Should probably go sit in a corner and think about why I do that ;)
dubious66

by Pancake » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm

dubious66 wrote:Blue light!!! Big no no!

Hate to admit that I violate that rule too often... Disappointed in myself. Should probably go sit in a corner and think about why I do that ;)

Blue light filter. I'm terrible, too. It's made some difference to how well I sleep. Stays permanently switched on my phone now, unless I need accurate colours.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Mocha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

AvantGarde wrote:
Pancake wrote:

*throws a fit for not thinking of that sooner*

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am

hal wrote:Mocha, the most effective way for me to deal with sleeplessness, especially when manic, is to go to the easy chair down stairs and turn on the most boring TV program I can find, then lie back and close my eyes. :D I have to stay away from the computer, because it just feeds the mania!

Whatever works, hal..... :) ........

I just usually just leave the tv on for background noise.....but I always stay on the computer. Not manic/hypomanic.......I just like to read/research, etc. And as I said, I like the peace and quiet of the night when everyone else is down for the night...., the neighborhood is quiet, and no traffic noise..... :)

I like dark better than light...that's why I like rainy, cloudy, gray days more than sunny...... :)

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Lounge