Please, please help me. I'm worried about my boyfriend. Coul

Welcome to Bipolar Support.Org!
Please make yourself at home!

by Madison8 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Is my boyfriend manic right now?
Madison8
Madison8 39 minutes ago
New Member•1 post

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 and a half years, we planned on getting married in the not so distant future. He always told me how happy he was that I was in his life, and I loved being with him. He was diagnosed with bipolar when he was 8 or 9, but so far in our relationship, I have not seen him go through a manic phase.
He warns me before every winter arrives, that his bipolar spikes, but I have been able to support him until now.

Two days ago, we got into a small argument and he walked out on me. Usually he walks away from the situation so that he can calm down and not do something he might regret. When he walks away to calm down, he comes back a little while later and we will talk out our problem, and then everything goes back to normal.

When he walked away two days ago, I should have let him have his time to breathe, but I texted him because I wanted to talk about things. He got upset with me, and I regrettably told him "I hate you" and I wanted to take it back the second I said it, but I am in the wrong. He has now blocked me on every social media site, and blocked my number. Just the day before our fight, he was talking to me about marriage and how he couldn't imagine a life without me.

He has his medical card for marijuana, but he has recently been smoking A LOT more than before. He is not taking any medications besides that, because he feels that they make him feel like a "zombie."

He has never acted this way towards me before, so I thought something was up, and I went to talk to his good friend of 13 years. She is extremely confused as to why he left, but she told me to give him time and maybe he would come around. I am able to do this, because nothing means more to me than him. I just did not know at all if this could possibly be a manic phase? Any advise would help. I am worried. :?:
Madison8

by AvantGarde » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi Madison, welcome.

First of all, we can't diagnose anything here, as we're not professionals just regular folks with bipolar.

Second, I can give my honest opinion though, and it seems like just a bad fight. He may be more sensitive this time of year, that can explain why he hasn't said anything and why he is isolating. Give him some room to breathe, let him solve his feelings out and I'm sure everything will go back to normal.

Regardless of him having a mental illness or not, we can't fix people. And I mean, I don't think it's that unhealthy by any means when we do have a mental illness, to need some time to handle our emotions. Sometimes we just don't want to cause any type of burden with our stuff you know? Even if you don't feel like it is a burden.
Another reason might be that things are said during fights and he's hurt and needs time to heal.
Either way, give him some space.

He's not taking any meds, which is not really good for any mental illness, so we can't really tell if he's in an episode or not from what you've said, but maybe since he's not on meds, he's a bit unregulated regarding emotions.

Hope this helps,
Best of luck.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

Return to New to Our Forums?