Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

New here and pondering...

Welcome to Bipolar Support.Org!
Please make yourself at home!

by Stardust » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey guys,
I'm somewhat new to the bipolar community, I was diagnosed bipolar 2 a year 1/2 ago after taking prozac for depression and going into a full blown manic episode that had me running from the police with a knife and 51/50'd in the psych ward. I'm 37, mother of two, been married for 16 years and considered pretty stable and normal until my mental break. It took me almost a year to regain most of my sanity, really is anyone "normal" lol but for me loosing my mind was the scariest feeling especially when I had a young child to care for that didn't understand. Luckily I have supportive family around that helped me through it. I feel good most of the time and I'm sleeping, something I will never take for granted again. I'm currently taking 600 mg Lithium twice daily and Zyprexa 1.25 mg each night (yep that baby dose does the job for my sensitive system). None of my friends relate to the bipolar thing and sometimes I feel like it's just me battling this inner demon. On meds, I feel mostly balanced but extra foggy at times and I'll get mild bursts of mania that make me hyper or aggresive. I wish I had a good sense of humor so I could just make a joke and laugh about it but it's not in my nature. So here I am, looking for support from whoever might be reading this. Any advise from others who have found useful ways of managing the spontaneous ups and downs of this disease?
She always had that about her, that look of otherness, of eyes that see things much too far, and of thoughts that wander off the edge of the world.
Stardust

by Pancake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Well I guess they got the diagnosis right eventually :roll:

Welcome Stardust. Do you see a therapist? That has been really good for me in terms of recognising moods, thoughts etc.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by MochaAdmin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 am

Stardust wrote: I wish I had a good sense of humor so I could just make a joke and laugh about it but it's not in my nature.

Hi again Stardust...... :)

You're in the right place cause we sure relate to the bipolar thing.....
And about having a sense of humour.....maybe if you hang out with us long enough you'll learn to laugh at a few things you didn't think you would...... ;)

About tips etc. Oh yeah, I'm sure we all do......Just post and ask away.....we'll be glad to help.

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 am

Stardust,

Welcome to the forum. You will find many caring and compassionate people here.

Antidepressants tend to have an adverse effect on many of us.. A good support system is a good thing to have. Helps us to be grounded..
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Duckysmom » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am

Welcome to BPS. I think you'll find a very supportive and non-judgmental group here.

I have to be really careful with anti-depressants or I get very manic. I am pretty stable now, but still doing some tweaking. The first step, I think, is recognizing the early signs of a shift and then having some good coping skills in place, which can be learned in therapy. Sometimes just learning to see the signs is the hardest part.

Currently, sitting in my pdocs waiting room and trying to figure out if I'm in a mixed state at the moment. Too unmotivated, brain won't shut off, rapid speech, but so freaking tired I slept 10 hours last night after taking a nap in the evening. Two extremes. Irritable and isolating, urge to go spend a ton of money, no energy to do it. Guess I'll ask him what he thinks. I see too many signs of both depression and mania. It can get confusing, even for a seasoned veteran like me.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by hal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Stardust, and welcome to our community: I think you'll like it here.

I'm another one who was misdiagnosed as depressed. The ADs kicked me into hypomania which wasn't recognized as such for a long time. In 2009 pdoc and I arrived at a meds combination that left me stable until 2014. After that I had some hypomanias but no depressions. But then a major mania last November landed me in the hospital, first time in 40 years. Not long after that I had medical problems that resulted in a long hospital stay, but since then (all this year) I've been free of mood swings, even small ones.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

Return to New to Our Forums?