Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

New 9/2017

Welcome to Bipolar Support.Org!
Please make yourself at home!

by CrazyInKy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 am

Hello, I'm new to this website which I came across while trying to research meds at the request of my pdoc. I was officially diagnosed with bipolar/mania a few months ago. I have been on antidepressants since I was 17 or 18. Antidepressants also are what I believe was causing my manic episodes, and many bad life decisions lol.

It was me who went to the Dr and said enough enough, this isn't working, something else is going on. After setting up an appointment for me with the local pdoc, he immediately put me on lamictal. I have since had manic episodes (not as severe as in the past) and suffered days of depression. Some days I have felt like maybe I'm completely sane and I'm OK and just over exaggerating normal mood swings. Idk. Idk what to tell my pdoc when I go back. He upped my lamictal to 100 mg a day till I have my next appointment.

Did I mention I have 3 kids that I believe contribute to may anger and irritability more often than not? I know that sounds horrible but I would love to feel in control and not have these feelings, especially about my own children. I have anxiety (pdoc says no, just trauma from my childhood, teen years, and etc) and paranoia sometimes.I feel like I'm currently in a state of depression. Actually I know I am. I just don't know if its BC of recent events or my disorder.

I would love to become a successful, functioning adult. Any advice is more than welcome, that's why I'm here! Also any recommendation on drug or drug combos would be greatly appreciated. Tia and I look forward to getting to know the community.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
CrazyInKy

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Inky, welcome.

I would really advise you to search for a therapist (tdoc) so you can learn how to navigate the mood swings better, deal with the trauma, and especially with the remaining symptoms like irratibility and anger (those can stem from both the trauma and the BP).

Like we say around here, the only way to tackle BP is with meds and therapy.

Lamictal usually works great and with few side effects. Meds do work differently for everybody so it's difficult to say what might work for you. There are pages online where you can search for medications just for BP, and go over them with your pdoc (psychiatrist). I do think the dose of lamictal you're on is still low, given you have manic episodes, but your pdoc surely knows how to taper.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am

CraziInKy,

Welcome to the forum. You will find many caring and compassionate people here.

Many of us can not take antidepressants.

Tell your pdoc the truth. That you still have manic and depressive. At times I feel like it is just my imagination. But I can look back and see how bad I was. Lamictal has had a good effect on but I am taking four hundred mgs. As AG said it is on the low level.

Events that happen in our lives or around us can have a contributing factor to our moods. So yes it can trigger sn episode.

Do you see a tdoc? They help learn coping skills that can help immensely...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Stuckles » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 am

Welcome CrazyInky,

Being involved in your treatment and letting them know how you feel, like you did, is very important. I have difficulty with paranoia and anxiety as well. It's a lot better now than what it used to be but I was also in a constant state of depression so to speak.

I take Lamitor (Lamictal) and it does help a lot for me.
Stuckles

by CrazyInKy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 am

We have a therapist at my local clinic, and call me wrong, but I am begrudging of her BC I feel like she helped enable on of my worse manic episodes a little over a year ago. She was also supposed to be helping my general doctor diagnose any underlying problems or issues of my "depression". She didn't. That's a story for another time though.
Anyways, my pdoc tried to prescribe latuda and abilify but my insurance (medicaid) wouldn't cover it. Also, I have had a aggravating time getting anything from the pharmacy BC of lack of communication between the pharmacy and my clinic. It leads to me having to make calls back and forth to relay messages of meds not being approved, needing a PA, or he/she said to try whatever instead. When he called last week to discuss the abilify not being covered I told him I had upped my dosage of lamictal myself, which led him to call me in a higher dosage pill. He also said to do research on depekote, topimax, and whatever other drugs I came across. All sound like they have considerable side effects but I'm realizing thats just the name of the bipolar game apparently. One of the biggest side effects that I'm trying to avoid is weight gain due to struggles especially after baby #3.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
CrazyInKy

by hal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Glad to have you here, CrazyInKy.

Your pdoc asking you to research meds sounds weird to me. Is it just him/her, or is it due to Medicaid?

We do have a lot of experience with meds but, as mentioned before, we're not qualified medical professionals. Certainly, people have different experiences with the different ones. But stick around here: we're understanding and supportive and friendly. :)
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

Return to New to Our Forums?