Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

My belly button the size of the moon

Welcome to Bipolar Support.Org!
Please make yourself at home!

by Rikkezen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi everyone

It's been three weeks since I got accepted as a member, but honestly my mind seems to blank when I try to introduce you to my life as a bipolar. Some part of me want to write the full story in vivid details, and another part of me doesn't want to reveal what has become my still ongoing education in the school of life. Well, I've decided to try introducing myself - in short at first.

I'm Rikke, 24 yo and from Denmark. I apologize if my english skills sucks - please ignore my bad spelling and grammar mistakes. Or make me aware of it - I might learn something along the way.

I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder October last year. I've been struggling with moderate to severe depressions since my early teens (13 yo when the first one hit). I've experiences several episodes of hypomania, but didn't realise this until recently. My biggest challenge right now is to accept my diagnosis and move on to a point where this disease doesn't get to define me and who I am as a person. I want to believe I'm so much more than my mood swings, but right now my belly button is the size of the moon. My mom always says that when you have to figure out what you are feeling, just look inside your belly button. But she also says that too much picking in your belly button just makes you see nothing but dirt. I don't know if this even makes sense. But I think I'm at that place where I constantly "pick my bellybutton". What am I feeling now? Am I depressed? Restless? Hypersexual? Annoyed? What do I really feel?
So I'm standing here with the moon in my belly - but it's an eclipse. Pitch black. I know it's there, but the sun has to shine for me to get a grasp of it, to truly realise what's inside me. The sun isn't shining right now. I guess that's my description of depression. The lack of sun - the lack of light. I'm not hopeless, but carrying the moon in your stomach is exhausting.

This wasn't even an introduction. But at least I burst the bubble and got started.

Thank you for accepting me as member. I look forward to share both ups and downs with you. To get comforted and to comfort you. To get to know some of you guys and learn strategies to cope with this illness.

Guess that's it for now.

//Rikke (if you wonder how to pronounce my name when reading, just think "Ricky/Rikki")
Rikkezen

by Spm24 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Rikkezen,

Nice to meet you. I hope you find it comfortable here. Share what and when your happy.

The normal questions. Do you see a psychiatrist (pdoc). A therapist (tdoc). Are you taking medication?

Now the fun stuff. I like the title of your post. As to your English it is very good, better than some of us who have spoken and wrote it for many years... Grammar mmmm yours is good mine can be atrocious at times.

I like the way you put things. You mother's saying is so profound. A very unique way of looking at things. But a good way of looking at things.
If you feel like it is an eclipse always think of this. A total Eclipse of the sun only last for a short time. We all see the sun after awhile.. it only lasts so long. So keep looking for the light in the darkness.... It sounds like your eclipse is not to dark.

Remember you don't have to carry the moon by yourself.. people here will try to belong on carry it till it goes back into orbit....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.By me
Spm24

by Pancake » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Welcome Rikki. I can even pronounce your name in Dutch ;) :lol:

Except I don't roll R's very well.

Nice to have you here.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:23 am

Hey Rikke welcome :D Belly button hum? That's awesome, love the metaphore.

Sorry you're low though, it will pass!

Make yourself at home
“My madness is sacred, do not touch it.”

Salvador Dalí
AvantGarde

by Rikkezen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank you for the welcome!
I'm happy you understood my metaphor.

To answer your questions Spm24:
I'm currently seeing a pdoc and in April I've been given the opportunity to see a tdoc as well. I've been on antidepressants in 10 years. First SSRI but after two years I was given SNRI instead. Since October when they discovered I'm really bipolar, I've been increased in my SNRI (effexor, venlafaxin), started on a mood-stabiliser (lamotrigin), an anti-psychotic (quitiapin/seroquel) and at last an antidepressant named Valdoxan. It's supposed to help balance my melatonin balance. I'm not nearly as depressed anymore as my cocktail of medication is beginning to work. My biggest problem is my quality of sleep, but we are working on it, and my psychiatrist won't give up until we find the right solution. I'm currently trying my fifth drug to help me sleep.
I don't know if you recognise the types of medications. I reckon it's different in the states? :-)
Rikkezen

by Spm24 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Rikkezen,

I recognize lamotrigine and Seroquel. I take the first and tried the second one but it made me very tired...

Glad your seeing a tdoc in a few months, they help deal with things and put them in perspective.

I looked up the others. I have not tried them but I am sure others here will have some input on those.

Sorry your sleep is suffering. But it is good that your pdoc is not giving up looking for something that works for you.

Sometimes it takes a big cocktail to make it work. Me personally I have a three med cocktail.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.By me
Spm24

by Rose » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:05 am

Hi Rikki.

Your description of your bellybutton - that it is the size of the moon - is very on point. It describes what it feels like. it is one of the steps of getting to know your body. Don't be afraid of your feelings. They're yours, and yours alone. You own them, you can accept them, and you can choose how to face them. Only, it's scary enough to see them. Feeling them on the surface is the most horrible sensation one might have ever felt. To see beyond them, the underlying feelings: have the willpower and courage to breathe in every piece of anxiety that exists in your entire body. Do that until it slowly fades down. It might take 10, 20, 40 minutes. Examine everything thats happening in your body. How it feels, where it's strongest, how big it is, what color it has, how hard/soft it is, etc.

When you're describing feelings, you use the words depressed, Restless, Hypersexual, and Annoyed. I would not call these feelings. Restless might be the effects of angst. Annoyed might be a result of sorrow. You might bear a sorrow. Facing some kind of person, issue, or situation, you may lead protecting oneself. What needs protecting? What emotions is behind it? It might be sorrow, it might be something else. But the annoyance is a result or an outer expression of something else.

It seems to me like you're hiding from yourself. Running from the real you because you can't accept yourself, love yourself, and because you're afraid of who you are. You won't even let yourself see who you are.

Don't be afraid. You can't change it. You can only allow it and accept it. What you can then change is how to separate your feelings from your thoughts and learn how to not lie to yourself in every situation.

I know it's hard. On the darkest of days you might only have the strength to keep yourself alive. But on some days that is enough. On those days you should be proud of doing just that.
Rose

by AvantGarde » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:22 am

Hey Rose, welcome to the forum.

I will have to disagree there, there are bipological causes for those feelings, not psychological ones. One might say they are connected, but the biology is the causation. They are symptoms of bipolar, and not easily resolved by taking control over our bodies, as you described, or even by giving them psychological causes. It's just not the case.

Why not make an introduction to yourself on the forum, for us to know a bit more about yourself?

Salvador Dalí
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

Rose.....I'm replying to your first post on this thread.....

We DO NOT do therapy on this site, and we're not about to start now. We certainly don't analyze our members.

You were way out of line, and it was rather presumptuous of you to try to analyze Rikki, to think you knew what she was truly feeling or why.

To be honest, if my own therapist started talking to me like that, he wouldn't be my therapist much longer, not to mention a perfect stranger on some online forum.

I don't know who you are or what you do for a living, but I think maybe this isn't the site for you.

Good luck.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:41 am

Rikki........I'm sorry your thread went so far OT......I hope you'll come back and continue your bellybutton discussion....... :)

How are you doing?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Rikkezen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:29 am

Rose:

In september last year I would have agreed with your analysis/interpretation. Before I got the right diagnosis, I suffered from what my tdoc, my psysician and myself thought was recurring depressions on an yearly basis. I worked with myself through therapy almost a decade - and eventually my tdoc gave up. She couldn't understand why I would feel the ways I did even though we had worked with/through all my "issues" several times. I started concealing my feelings from her and lying. To this day she still thinks that we parted on good terms, but that wasn't the case. I know i skipped a step when i described my feelings in my original post: I know that these states aren't feelings, but it's what I fear my feelings are a sign of. I still have to learn how til separate normal states from bipolar symptoms. I guess that's a life time lesson but on some level I look forward to this! When I got my diagnosis in October last year I cried. Not because I was severely depressed (and I really was on the brink of choosing death), but because of relief!!! The sun was shining in my belly button that day, because all of my confusing feelings weren't wrong - they were a sign of an illness. It's not me! I don't hold on to these feelings and states because I like suffering (I've been told this) but because there's a biological reason!!! I'm not a freak, I'm not a lost cause. I'm ill! I know this is a disappointment for the average person, but for the first time I felt that it all made sense. There's a reason. It's not me! (sorry for the repetitions - this is just something I really feel like emphasizing).

Yeah, I still have sorrows, grief and outside reasons for some of my feelings - but for several years now my feelings and my life conditions don't agree with each other. They don't correlate and this has been a constant burden to (for?) me. Why can't I feel normal? My life is good - I have all I need, people I love - and yet, I feel like my life isn't worth living or the opposite that I'm the king of the world and I don't need anyone.
Need I repeat that it all makes sense now?

I don't hide from my self - far from it. I've worked so much with my self that my nearest friends often express a sense of awe: "wow, you really know yourself well!". And I really do, and my diagnosis gives me an opportunity to get to know myself even better and see myself in a different and meaningful light. Does this even make sense?

I still have a long way to go regarding accepting that I have to struggle with this the rest of my life. But I don't hide!

Rose, I did have to process your post though. For a day I struggled with what you wrote: how it might be me closing my eyes and not doing enough to separate my feelings from my thoughts. On some level I want to thank you - your words made me think, and reach the feeling of relief once more: I can't cure this with will power or an effort to connect every feeling with an outlying reason.
I hope you would refrain from analyzing others without knowing them, and this is said from the kindest place.

Avantgarde:
Thank you for emphasizing the biologically founded nature of being bipolar! It was needed! It helped me reach the above written.

Mocha:
Thank you for sticking up for me!
I'm back and currently reading hither and thither around the forum and getting more enlightened and educated each day. To see others describe EXACTLY what I'm feeling .. I can't even describe the feeling. The thought of me making it all up in my head, that it's all been my fantasy has vanished. There's a reason!

I'm doing better, I think. I'm not as depressed (even though it still varies), but my sleep is still far from satisfying. I feel like I'm in limbo. But I do learn something - the tiniest things - about myself each day and I process my past. So much makes sense now! So, it's mixed I guess. I'm going to see my pdoc on friday. I'm kinda nervous: it probably means another round of medication adjustment and the following symptoms. But it means that I'm getting closer to a treatment - I have to hold on to that.

Wow, this is a long post. Sorry ;)
Rikkezen

by AvantGarde » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 am

No problem, Rikke. :D

Great post by the way :D

Salvador Dalí
AvantGarde

Return to New to Our Forums?