Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

The Myth of Icarus

Discussions and debates on philosophies and beliefs

by AvantGarde » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Came across this on my reading travels. Kind of a sychronism moment, as I read a reference about it elsewhere and then received an e-mail explaining it. :)

The email talked about how we shoulnd't care about what others think of us, mainly because we all fail in the eyes of others and it all vanishes into the world's oblivion anyhow. :lol: Kinda depressing, but if you look at it, the "we don't really matter in the grand scheme of things" is kinda uplifting, takes away a bunch of ideas of what we should do in order to be so perfect to others around us, which we never really are. We can even suffer from being too perfect at times :lol:

Anyway, Icarus glued some feathers with wax to his back and went flying. His father warned him not to fly too close to the sun or to the sea, but he was imerse in excitement and did just that, eventually drowning.

The obvious message is to listen to your freaking parents when they share wisdom, as they often know what they're talking about. Another obvious message is that too much excitement over life leads to poor decisions, as we all know pretty well around here. I would even add that it can mean that anything in excess can cause trouble.
But, the take away message I read into it, is that it shouldn't come as an excuse not to glue feathers on your back with wax and go flying, just because you might fall in the sea and drown, forgotten by society's oblivion. I read into it, that with a level head even flying is possible.. metaphorical flying I mean :D

I think it really fits us, made me realize how proud I am of all of us for all the level headedness we do every day.

Cheers, and good morning.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Steponme » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 am

My mother is always right, especially when I think she's wrong :lol:
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by AvantGarde » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 am

:lol: That's how it's supposed to be :lol:

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Jemane » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 am

My parents are in a cult still so I think that’s a good excuse not to listen to them...
I like the idea that we should still be able to fly just with limits. We need to be able to reach our potential without the dangers of the excesses of mania.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Mocha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 am

AvantGarde wrote:Came across this on my reading travels. Kind of a sychronism moment, as I read a reference about it elsewhere and then received an e-mail explaining it. :)

The email talked about how we shoulnd't care about what others think of us, mainly because we all fail in the eyes of others

AG, I'm not exactly sure what your post meant or what you were getting at, but I have never given a rat's ass what folks have thought of me. And I never feel as though I fail though in the eyes of others. What you see is what you get. No shame in my game.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by mom6 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:43 am

Jemane wrote:My parents are in a cult still so I think that’s a good excuse not to listen to them...
I like the idea that we should still be able to fly just with limits. We need to be able to reach our potential without the dangers of the excesses of mania.
Like the saying there is no freedom without rules. I like that. It doesn't excuse us from the courage to dream big, just holds us accountable.Is that what you mean?
Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows fall behind you-Walt Whitman (mostly)
mom6

by Pancake » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:28 pm

What you see is what you get. No shame in my game.

:lol: I wish I was you *before* my 40's. I'm much better at it now.

AG, I keep writing novels, but in the interest of not boring everyone to tears of irrelevant boredom... yeah, I can relate (:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Mocha, that's what the email meant, not me. What I meant is that it's okay to be yourself... flying with metaphorical wings. It was meant as a funny and uplifting post, sorry it didn't come across that way.

Pan, I'm back to writing. Had an idea and followed through :D Really happy about it. Not manic, writing 4 thousand words a day, but more like 400. :)

AvantGarde

Return to Philosophers Corner