Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Desiderata

Discussions and debates on philosophies and beliefs

by AvantGarde » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 am

Someone reminded me about this poem today, think it's appropriate for a bluesy rainy afternoon :)

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mom2dani » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 am

Love this!! Something I needed to read today and go back to today when I'm not in a good place. That you for sharing that AG.

Xoxo
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by Mocha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for posting this, AG.........we've posted it many times over the years. It was good to read it again.

We used to have a member, Jansua, when the site first started. She passed from cancer way back then. She was from Texas too, and I knew her in RL.

One year she had it framed and sent it to me and Hum for xmas. I still have it.

Thanks for the memories......... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Lovehope » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Thank you for sharing. I first came across this poem when I was inpatient. It was a source of comfort and hope as it is today
Lovehope

by Jemane » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 am

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve never heard it before. It’s excellent.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Mocha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I wanted to bump AG's thread......It's really worth reading.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Philosophers Corner