Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

just don't do it

Discussions and debates on philosophies and beliefs

by hal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:36 pm

In the past 50 years, maybe longer, I've been through a LOT of manic episodes. I'm also the introspective type, so I think about it a lot. For myself, I've found a good rule for when I'm manic. I'm so full of ideas and desires, I can hardly stand it. I want to follow up on all of them, but... just don't do it. I want to do all these things, but... just don't do it. Stop. Think. You can do a few things, but not all of them. Slow down.

Don't know if this would work for anyone else. Everybody is different. Some of you are far worse off than I've ever been. Mania can be so captivating - I chose the word deliberately - and such a whirlwind that it might be impossible to to assume such an attitude.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Jemane » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:50 pm

That sounds just like me, Hal. I want to do everything and I totally overload myself. I'm getting better at saying no even though everything in me believes at the time I can handle it.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Duckysmom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:01 am

Learned this myself as well. Now if I could just get down the "just don't SAY it". 'Cause the shit that pops out of my mouth in my manic state has gotten me in some trouble, too.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by AvantGarde » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:25 am

Yesterday I was rapid cycling, very hypomanic in the morning, dancing my ass off to shitty pop music. Then had the impulse to go meet a guy, that I seriously don't want anything with, and was able to stop myself.

So yeah, I've learned how to do this as well.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Polrus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:09 am

On a similar wave, I've only recently figured out - This is MY time, I'll deal with your shit after!

LOL
Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.

Macbeth
Polrus

by jeffw » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:14 am

VERY wise words Hal - its like the anti-Nike slogan! Appreciate you sharing. I can totally relate to Duckysmom's comment - the shit I say causes SO many issues to deal with later. BUT at the time it seems so right.
The 1,000 mile journey begins with the 1st step.
jeffw

Return to Philosophers Corner