Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Power and Progress

Discussions and debates on philosophies and beliefs

by Jaivi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:16 am

So one of the things that I love (healthy or not) about manic states is that I feel really powerful and able. Whether or not that is true is not exactly the point, though I fully acknowledge that the "powerful" feelings from mania can be grandiose at times (sometimes for me psychotic, unfortunately), although the energetic feelings and euphoria definitely are perceived as empowering and that is what I miss.

Anyhow, I am wondering as to what methods y'all have found to be most successful over the course of dealing with this flippy flop disorder in terms of how one can over time empower her/himself in a more true, enduring fashion that produces well-being and confidence in the non-manic, balanced way that allows for personal growth and progress?

Or just what doesn't work, because I will take notes either way :mrgreen:
Enduring in the faith in my dreams and hopes: got to keep laughing :)
Jaivi

by AvantGarde » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 am

Good question...

I rely a lot on others' input, to be honest. My mom keeps telling me what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, when I'm on a mood, etc. I often ask for opinions as well to my friends. I sometimes check before doing something, "is this the right attitude?" "is this the right step?"...

Also, I take notes, what works, what kind of steps and accomplishments I already took. That gives me motivation :D

Hope this helps.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Jemane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm

I rely on my husband and I make sure the things I put my energy into won't have long term consequences that will stress me out when I'm no longer hypomanic eg. Enrol in lots of new study courses.
I think I'm getting better at knowing what are good things to put my energy into (write a book, painting, sorting out the house) vs things that will have a negative effect on me.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Pancake » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Enrol in lots of new study courses.
This one time... I was offered a place in a masters in teaching at Melbourne uni. Since it had been a sudden decision to apply, I didn't quite get a couple of pieces of paperwork in on time, so I never checked my email until after it was too late to accept.

Probably for the best, really. While I might feel capable of taking on a roomful of teenagers on a good (manic) day and have grandiose plans for teaching in remote communities, public speaking makes me choke at the best of times...

You can stop laughing now ;-)
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Jemane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:27 pm

:P Hi pancake... I teach at that 'other' Uni (Monash) among other things.
When I was elevated earlier in the year I enrolled in a diploma, 2 certificates and multiple weekend courses and nearly enrolled in a masters as well as taking on a research project that had a view to doing a PhD (on top of working 4 days a week and 3 kids!). It all felt like a great idea at the time!!!
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

Return to Philosophers Corner