Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Weight loss and stability

Share your success and positive news!

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 am

Finally!! As of 0,5kg from now I'll no longer be considered overweight by BMI standards!

Started a low carb diet about a month ago, but got really serious about it two weeks ago. Lost 4kg already, just by not eating sweets or bread, rice and pasta. I don't even miss it, to be honest. I cut on rice and pasta last summer, and on sweets like one month before starting this new way of eating. Bread was the most difficult but I managed subsitutes with coconut or almond flour that I bake myself when I really need something filling.

I had a terrible cake addiction, that is now gone :lol:

I researched for months on nutrition and appropriate macros, experimented a lot to see how my body answers and finally managed to start losing this terrible med weight.

This brought on a lot more confidence in myself, my eating disorder is under control, I no longer binge or starve, my anxiety is almost non existent and my mood has finally stabilized for more than 3 days, which I didn't even remember happening like ever.

I'm not preaching we should all do it, I really think every body functions differently, but this is what works for me, for sure.

I'm really happy :D
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 am

Always good to hear positive news. I knew you were having major issues with your weight gain. You should be very proud of yourself. That is a major accomplishment in a short time. Keep up the good work on your diet and your stability. Both are important....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Lisa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:50 am

Congrats AG!
Lisa

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks guys!

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 am

Again, I'm so proud of you and how you've worked to find the right fit for you.....literally..... ;)

I know how much the weight gain was depressing for you, as it is for many of our members. And it's great that it hasn't affected your former eating disorder....... :D

(And for those who don't know.........A kilo is 2.2 lbs.........)....

I remember from my wild blow days.......:lol:.....

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 am

:lol: You wild girl.

I keep forgetting to convert, sorry guys. I lost around 11lbs in two weeks basically.

Went shopping today and went from a size large to a medium. Didn't try on pants, though, hoping last year's will fit me in a few months. :lol: One pair already fits, it's a bit tight but it fits!

Sat next to a woman that was eating MacDonalds today and wanted to ask her for a bit of her fries :lol: I didn't, and it's not something I would do if I wasn't trying to lose weight either.

AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:08 pm

AvantGarde wrote::lol: You wild girl.

:lol: ......I even named my dog Kilo......but that's another story... :twisted:

I keep forgetting to convert, sorry guys. I lost around 11lbs in two weeks basically.

Fantastic! and No worries...... :)

Went shopping today and went from a size large to a medium. Didn't try on pants, though, hoping last year's will fit me in a few months. :lol: One pair already fits, it's a bit tight but it fits!

Medium!......HotDamn!.......That had to be great for the ego......... :D And you did it the healthy way.........you go girl........and nothing wrong with tight pants.......just makes you look sexy........ ;)

Sat next to a woman that was eating MacDonalds today and wanted to ask her for a bit of her fries :lol: I didn't, and it's not something I would do if I wasn't trying to lose weight either.

Can you imagine what that woman would have thought if you had asked her for some of her fries..........:lol:.........

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I thought about just taking the fries without asking, but would probably cause a scene in the mall :lol: She would bite my arm off or something :shock:

If I asked politely I would say "Excuse me miss, I'm on a diet and I miss fries so much, can I please have some of yours? Also, some mayo? Also, a bite of the burger? Also, the toy from your son's Happy Meal?" :lol:

AvantGarde

by hal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:48 pm

AvantGarde wrote:If I asked politely I would say "Excuse me miss, I'm on a diet and I miss fries so much, can I please have some of yours? Also, some mayo? Also, a bite of the burger? Also, the toy from your son's Happy Meal?" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can just see this.

Oh, and job well done, AG! :D
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Pancake » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

:lol: I think she would have edged away.

Well done AG. Healthy food can taste great too. I think I need to quit sugar across the board, but getting started is still a bit overwhelming.

We have chooks, eggs make meringues, and delicious creamy custard, and ice cream... :cry:
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:36 pm

I know Paaaan, my neighbourhood is all about the sweetness.. from chocolate truffles to bakeries with a million different kinds of cakes and sweets, it's really terrible for the waist. I used to always have some kind of sweet in the house for after dinner, have something sweet for breakfast, and sometimes a brownie in the afternoon :roll:
Now, I tried to put some sugar in my coffee yesterday and damn, I hated it. All I could taste was sugar.

AvantGarde

by Pancake » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 am

Now, I tried to put some sugar in my coffee yesterday and damn, I hated it. All I could taste was sugar.

I remember those days. Couldn't touch soft drink, even water tasted sweet.

I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet, but oh god it's hard just thinking about it.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 am

I get it.. it's been hard. We spend so much time eating crap that going healthier can really hurt.

I had cramps and headaches the first week I cut sugar.

There's a process of reducing slowly that might be more suited to you.. I'm sure you know about it.

AvantGarde

by Mocha » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 am

I've always hated sweets......well, maybe when I was a kid and when my mom made every thing from scratch.....but still not the really sweet stuff.....sets my teeth on edge, just don't eat it.....(people think I'm weird). Cut out salt when I started having probs with high pressure in my early 30s. Now I can't stand salt in my food.....just gags me.

Haven't drank soda in years and years.......I will drink diet soda occasionally, but then worry about artificial sweeteners.......always something....... :roll:

I'll stick to juice (the right kind), low fat milk and water.

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 am

Ha Mocha, sorry, didn't see your post! I don't miss sugar at all, though I was a big addict. A couple days back I went for a morning walk and my mom asked me to bring her something sweet, I got her a sort of pretzel filled with sweet egg cream and sugar and didn't even have the temptation to try it, it was a big surprise for me.
I use very little salt in my food as well, most of my family doesn't eat salt at all. We all got bombarded with salt when my grandma's generation was alive :lol: I'm probably low on sodium though... Started a multivitamin now and feeling much better, lot less slugish.
I don't really like soda. A coke in the summer feels nice, but it's very rare. That shit can clean metal.

Ok, more good news. I'm feeling really much better. So stable, that yesterday pdoc congratulated me for my ability to handle the hard times and come out stronger on the other side. We aren't changing AP afterall, TD is gone (I lowered my coffee intake to half a cup in the morning, and switched to decaf the rest of the day - if I go over one cup a day my fingers start twitching and my anxiety spikes). Anxiety is so low that I haven't taken a benzo in two weeks.

Best of all.. I'm feeling good emotions. I get tearful with good things and everything!
I'm starting to come back to myself, I really can't believe it. 16 years worth of being unstable and I finally get to feel what is like to be okay. The wait was worth it.

Not to say it won't derrail, especially when the summer arrives, but what matters is that I'm okay now.

AvantGarde

by hal » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:43 am

I'll drink to that! Pass the chocolates, please. And I will have some of that pretzel filled with sweet egg cream and sugar, if you please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:55 am

:lol: :lol:

AvantGarde

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

No - longer - overweight! Still a bit chubby, on the up scale of normal weight, but I'll keep going.

Wohooo!

My pants size 38 / size 6 US / size 10 Australia fit amazing again! I can wear jeans again!

Measured myself also, lost about 2 and 3cm depending on the place (1 boob size :lol:)

(Worth to point out that I used to be a US size 0, Aus 4, EU 32 - but I'm not going there again!)

AvantGarde

by Jemane » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Yay! Well done!!
I’m so jealous but I’m Day 3 of low carbs now. Hoping for some downward movement on those scales.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Good luck! Simple low carb a few years back, I lost 5kg. Be careful when you up the carbs, don't go nuts and binge. Up them slowly every week, like 10%. I binged and gained it all back and then some.

AvantGarde

Return to Accomplishments and Good News!